A-Level Latin Verse Unseen Help

Watch
Krishyby
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey,
I'm currently in year 12, and since we don't have AS exams, I just finished doing a set of internal exams that go towards predicted grades. The literature section went well, and so did the prose unseen, but the verse unseen was incredibly difficult (Ovid Metamporphoses).

The main thing I'm struggling with is the vocab, since my teacher told us that there is no set vocab list to memorise, and I learnt all of the words on the AS list from last year, and the words in the Latin beyod GCSE book, but there were still so many words that I didn't know.

My whole class found the exam hard, but since I want to study Classics at uni, I feel like I should be doing better.

Does anyone have any advice for the verse unseen?
solonofathens
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When you learnt the words from Latin Beyond, did you include the extra words for verse unseens?
https://quizlet.com/189976071/

If you've already done that, I'd say the best thing you can do is just lots of practices, and mark them yourself meticulously. A book called 'Advanced Latin' has lots of good ones once/if you've exhausted Latin Beyond.
https://www.bloomsbury.com/us/advanc...9781853997297/

I found verse harder than prose at the end of AS year, but a year later that's reversed completely; a lot of my classmates say the same.
Shane Thomas
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there,

Are these the details for the exam? - A-Level Latin: Unseen Translation (H443/01), Thursday 5 June 2018 - Afternoon

If so, I can provide a correct translation of the Prose:

Latin:

sed tamen ante alios, Ceae pulcherrime gentis,
gratus erat, Cyparisse, tibi: tu pabula cervum
ad nova, tu liquidi ducebas fontis ad undam,
tu modo texebas varios per cornua flores,

Aestus erat mediusque dies, solisque vapore
fessus in herbosa posuit sua corpora terra
cervus et arborea frigus ducebat ab umbra.
hunc puer inprudens iaculo Cyparissus acuto
fixit et, ut saevo morientem vulnere vidit,
velle mori statuit. quae non solacia Phoebus
dixit et, ut leviter pro materiaque doleret,
admonuit! gemit ille tamen munusque supremum
hoc petit a superis, ut tempore lugeat omni.

iamque per inmensos egesto sanguine fletus
in viridem verti coeperunt membra colorem,
ingemuit tristisque deus 'lugebere nobis
lugebisque alios aderisque dolentibus' inquit.

Ovid, Metamorphoses X, lines 120-123, 126, 128-137, 141-142.
Omitted lines: 124-125, 127, 138-140.

English:

But nevertheless, it was thanks to you, before any other, Cyparissus,
Most handsome of the Cean race,
You were leading the stag to new pastures,
To the wave of the flowing spring,
And you alone were sometimes weaving various flowers through its horns,

It was hot and it was the middle of the day,
And tired from the warmth of the Sun,
the stag placed its body on the grassy earth,
And a chill was coming from the tree-covered shade.

Cyparissus, a foolish boy, pierced it (the stag) with a sharp javelin,
And when he saw it dying from the cruel wound,
He decided he wished to die.

What uncomforting words did Apollo offer?
He warned him to mourn lightly, in proportion to the situation!
But he (Cyparissus) groaned and asked for this final favour from the gods:
That he mourn for all of time.

And now, through his boundless tears,
After his blood had been poured out,
His limbs began to turn a green colour.

The sad god groaned and said:
"You shall be mourned by us and you will mourn other,
And you will be present to those who are grieving."

And this was the scansion question:

_ v v|_ v v|_ v v|_ _|_ v v|_ x
aestus erat mediusque dies solisque vapore

I also have answers to the Prose Translation. Let me know if you want that as well.

Hope this helps! And best of luck for tomorrow morning's Comprehension paper
Shane Thomas
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would recommend reading more Ovid. Get a sense of the vocab he likes to use. Write down all and any unfamiliar words, and learn them (keep an ongoing vocab list). You never know what words might come up. There's lots of animals in metamorphoses so you would want to know words for wolf, deer, etc... There's always going to be some guess work necessary with verse, no one gets 100%.in verse... so don't worry if you make some mistakes. Just stitch everything together into something coherent and logical. Intuition is needed I'm afraid, and it comes with practice.
Martins1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Krishyby)
Hey,
I'm currently in year 12, and since we don't have AS exams, I just finished doing a set of internal exams that go towards predicted grades. The literature section went well, and so did the prose unseen, but the verse unseen was incredibly difficult (Ovid Metamporphoses).

The main thing I'm struggling with is the vocab, since my teacher told us that there is no set vocab list to memorise, and I learnt all of the words on the AS list from last year, and the words in the Latin beyod GCSE book, but there were still so many words that I didn't know.

My whole class found the exam hard, but since I want to study Classics at uni, I feel like I should be doing better.

Does anyone have any advice for the verse unseen?
For the verse unseen, I was really struggling too.

Firstly, I would suggest really making sure you know your vocabulary list. Firstly, learn all the vocab at the back of John Taylor's (new edition of) "Latin Beyond GCSE" and learn the "300 common Verse Unseen words" in that book too. Beyond that, I have a vocab list I made which also includes AQA's vocab list, some more verse unseen words and some prose unseen words. Having literally just sat Latin language paper 2 for A2 level this morning, I strongly recommend Michael Owen's https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prose-Unsee.../dp/1474269168 for practice prose unseens, comprehensions AND for a great grammar section AND 800 further words of prose unseen vocabulary.

With regards to the vocab, don't just learn one meaning of each word: learn all possible meanings, and try to understand how it can be conceptually applied (for example a word like "flame" can refer to love as well as the fire of a candle...). This is very typical of Verse Unseens to use conceptually extended meanings of words.

Secondly, LEARN YOUR GRAMMAR! When I did this, it became so much easier. Particular tip when translating: Make sure you pay attention to case endings above all - generally agreement between nouns/adjectives can extend over lines and in odd orders so do NOT assume anything from the word order. This was the main thing which really helped my translation. Secondly, learn and learn again all your noun and adjective cases - it helps so much.

Finally, I would suggest a lot of practice. Michael Owen's Verse Unseen for A level
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ovid-Unseen...+A-Level+latin
This book is great for practice and I would assume it comes with a great extended vocab list too (beyond John Taylor). If you complete every one of those verse unseens gradually over the course of the year and learn your vocabulary and your grammar, you should be fine!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (17)
43.59%
No, they should still go ahead (10)
25.64%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (12)
30.77%

Watched Threads