The Student Room Group

Should I break up with him?

I’ve known this guy for a year, our relationship is pretty new 3 months. I love him, we are each other first everything pretty much. We respect each other and we have nerdy convos about science.

But he’s going to uni after his exams and I’m in the year below him so it’ll be a long distance relationship, unless I get into the same uni as him. ** I’m going to the same uni for the course not because of him.
I planning Cambridge though, his uni is my 3rd choice.

Should I save each other pain and breakup? I don’t want him to message me one day saying he met someone new and wants to break up. Breaks my heart just thinking about that.

I don’t want to break up with him. 🙁

You can ask more questions.
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve known this guy for a year, our relationship is pretty new 3 months. I love him, we are each other first everything pretty much. We respect each other and we have nerdy convos about science.

But he’s going to uni after his exams and I’m in the year below him so it’ll be a long distance relationship, unless I get into the same uni as him. ** I’m going to the same uni for the course not because of him.

Should I save each other pain and breakup? I don’t want him to message me one day saying he met someone new and wants to break up. Breaks my heart just thinking about that.

You should never go to a certain university just because your boyfriend is going there, especially since you want to go a different university. If you followed him then it would create an unhealthy inbalance in the relationship because you'll always be able to say to him "Hey, I sacrificed not going to my first choice university for you". That's just not productive.

You can try long distance and see how that goes, but in my experience, that never seems to last long and can end messy. You'll both be going to university and you'll both want to be free and want to experience new things, sometimes relationships can get in the way of that especially if one or both of you are insecure.

At the end of the day it's your decision, but you should really talk to him about it openly.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
To me, long distance is about trust. Me and my bf are going to try long distance when we go to seperate unis and I’m pretty confident. I think that is because I trust him. So maybe you need to think, not just how much you love him, but how much you trust him. Your final year at sixthform is crucial. You don’t want to waste it stressing about what he is doing all the time. Maybe you guys should discuss this further?

I was in a long distance relationship. Don't really wanna share details out here. PM if you dm.

But long distance relationships are hard at the least and they depend on loyalty and trust.

Long distances are hard but doable if you trust each other and communicate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending