The Student Room Group

Struggling to get postgraduate references

Has anyone struggled with getting masters references?
I'm applying to a MSc this year (I graduated a couple of years ago) and have secured funding for it however the university requires two academic references.
I asked my supervisor last year if she would provide a reference for me and she said she would happily do it, however I've been trying to get a hold of her for weeks to no avail. I've contacted a couple of tutors that I was on good terms with and scored high grades on the courses, I've not heard from one and the other said "they didn't keep personal records of students and would be unsuitable as a referee".
I know you can get employer references but I've been a full-time carer for the last year. The MSc isn't particularly related to my degree either so I'm not sure how well previous tutors (even if they did remember me) could comment on my suitability. Would it be worthwhile emailing a few of my lecturers (even if they'll unlikely remember who I am) just to see if I could get one, because I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ally201
Has anyone struggled with getting masters references?
I'm applying to a MSc this year (I graduated a couple of years ago) and have secured funding for it however the university requires two academic references.
I asked my supervisor last year if she would provide a reference for me and she said she would happily do it, however I've been trying to get a hold of her for weeks to no avail. I've contacted a couple of tutors that I was on good terms with and scored high grades on the courses, I've not heard from one and the other said "they didn't keep personal records of students and would be unsuitable as a referee".
I know you can get employer references but I've been a full-time carer for the last year. The MSc isn't particularly related to my degree either so I'm not sure how well previous tutors (even if they did remember me) could comment on my suitability. Would it be worthwhile emailing a few of my lecturers (even if they'll unlikely remember who I am) just to see if I could get one, because I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks

I'd try the central university students record office and see if they would be prepared to offer one. It won't be personalised, but it would be on headed paper etc. iN reality, it might not be much more than a transcript, but the receiving university would be hard pressed to refuse it.

Otherwise, press the receiving university to choose between the options you think you can deliver on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending