The Student Room Group

Aqa gcse english language paper 2 8th June 2018 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by layell123
I messed up on question 4 as well.I started it , got stuck ,went to question 5 ,came back to question 4 and the time was up.

How much did you write? And roughly what did you write ?
Original post by Janay.x
Do you’s think the grade boundaries will be high? 😩 paper 1 was so much better than paper 2 :/

I agree paper 1 was really good
Reply 82
Original post by Jamesjohna
All you had write about was the differences on board like how they had developed and the ones in source b were hand crafted whereas In a they were made from hollow lighter wood

I think you had to make inferences about it too, e.g. surfing is a less inclusive sport in source B bc the boards were less readily available and harder to make

If not then I’ve **** up my question 2 then lol
Original post by pottah
Also AQA must have had extra budget this year because they really splashed out on those glossy inserts

Yh i know right i was suprised when i saw them glossy
Original post by pottah
Yeah I did a similar thing, I really failed Q4 - apparently they used to have this same exam but they had 2 hours 15 minutes for it which is why timings are so hard

Haha yeah and the pictures were in colour??

What?? That’s so unfair like how the hell do you expect us to plan and write 4 paragraphs in 20 minutes.

I know right- I was pleasantly surprised!
Original post by Loci Pi
I found this paper better than paper 1, I'm quite annoyed that I ran out of time for Q4 on that exam.
I think my Q5 for today's exam went well, we did a similar practice question in class so I felt quite prepared.
Is it just me or was Q2 today quite strange, like there was very little you could infer about the types of surfboards?

Yes I was just writing about how they found the surfboards if they liked them or not
Reply 86
Original post by Jodieeee8273
Omg help on paper 2 Q1 pls. Was the answers A C D And the last box??!!

I put that! I really hope it’s right
Original post by pottah
I think you had to make inferences about it too, e.g. surfing is a less inclusive sport in source B bc the boards were less readily available and harder to make

If not then I’ve **** up my question 2 then lol

Hey I’ve seemed to do completly different to everybody, as for q2 I wrote about source a being more passionate to surfing as she describes it as ‘old fashioned’ which could suggest ( inference ) it’s value, and also how it’s mahogany which shows again it’s worn. Is this right?
How much did you write? And roughly what did you write ?

i wrote 2 1/2 pages and i wrote how they describe the boards differently but how they both think to the theme of danger , being out of control and monstrosity
Original post by Jolero02
I wrote more about how the surfboards are viewed by the surfers( without directly saying about how the writer feels about the surfboards) for example In Source A how surfboards are very personal to surfers

I did a paragraph about that too :smile:
I messed up on question 3, I. Referred to source a and not b... How bad do you think this would impact my grade?
Reply 91
Hey I’ve seemed to do completly different to everybody, as for q2 I wrote about source a being more passionate to surfing as she describes it as ‘old fashioned’ which could suggest ( inference ) it’s value, and also how it’s mahogany which shows again it’s worn. Is this right?

I’m not great at English so I can’t say for sure, but that definitely seems right! It’s probably good for you that’s it’s different from everyone else, the examiner will be impressed that you said something others didn’t think of
ive been predicted a nine and feel like i got max a grade five i found it really difficult.. did ppl find it hard or was it just me
Reply 93
Original post by Umaurma
What?? That’s so unfair like how the hell do you expect us to plan and write 4 paragraphs in 20 minutes.

I know right- I was pleasantly surprised!

I know, especially for question one, like two to three detailed paragraphs in 10 minutes??
Just to clarify what was the gender of the writers in each source?
Original post by pottah
I know, especially for question one, like two to three detailed paragraphs in 10 minutes??

I know right! I made the mistake on paper 1 of getting to deep and wasting like 25 minutes on the first question and then rushing everything else and messing it all up.
Original post by oliverrobbo
Just to clarify what was the gender of the writers in each source?
Source A was a male (I think called Mike) and Source B was a female (Isabella Bird)
Original post by Umaurma
Source A was a male (I think called Mike) and Source B was a female (Isabella Bird)

Thank god for that, cheers mate
Reply 98
Original post by malkimoo
ive been predicted a nine and feel like i got max a grade five i found it really difficult.. did ppl find it hard or was it just me

I can absolutely relate; horrible paper for me
Original post by malkimoo

I thought it was really hard! Q4 there were barely any differences and for Q2 I just talked about the boards eg the size must be important because it said summarise what you understand about the boards not the differences? Was this right? It never said to summarise differences

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending