Microbiology: Medicine 5th option? Watch

Random000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to apply for medicine this year but I am unsure of what to put in for my fifth option. I was researching courses that were similar to medicine so that I won't have to do extra work experience or extra preparation for it while focusing on medicine. I know courses like biomedicine and neuroscience link fairly well but I am unsure whether I would want to do them. What do you think of putting microbiology as a fifth option? Would using a medicine personal statement really affect my chances of getting into a microbiology course?

I really wouldn't mind doing microbiology if I don't get into medicine. If I do change my mind I'm willing to take a gap year but in case I decide to fully give up on medicine after not getting in, I want to have a backup which I would at least enjoy.
KharmaMedic
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey!

I studied microbiology and immunology in Toronto before going to KCL for med. Definitely won't hinder your chances! If you end up doing a Bsc. first just make sure you kill it!

-KharmaMedic
Random000
Rep:
?
(Original post by KharmaMedic)
Hey!

I studied microbiology and immunology in Toronto before going to KCL for med. Definitely won't hinder your chances! If you end up doing a Bsc. first just make sure you kill it!

-KharmaMedic
Thank you so much for your reply 😊
I have a another quick question if you don’t mind. Do you know what the difference between microbiology and medical microbiology is? At first I thought medical microbiology was a postgraduate course but it seems some unis do an undergraduate course for it as well. Do you think the jobs you can get from microbiology would be the same as medical microbiology?
Nottie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got microbiology at Imperial as my 5th option. Got an offer without any extra PS or interview
Random000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nottie)
I got microbiology at Imperial as my 5th option. Got an offer without any extra PS or interview
Wow that's great! What grades did you apply with?
Nottie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Random000)
Wow that's great! What grades did you apply with?
I did European Baccalaureate so my grades are different to A levels.
I did have 3 AAAs (at least, it's hard to do convertion) and my offer was the same as my medicine offer
Random000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nottie)
I did European Baccalaureate so my grades are different to A levels.
I did have 3 AAAs (at least, it's hard to do convertion) and my offer was the same as my medicine offer
I see, well done. For me, my grades are quite low at the moment (at least for medicine), so my best chances are probably foundation medicine. So I'm scared that I don't even get into my fifth option and end up with no uni offers. I can take a gap year but I think it will still be a scary situation to be in. My final mocks which they're going to use as predictions aren't until a few more months so I guess I just need to get the best possible grades for those.
KharmaMedic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much for your reply 😊
I have a another quick question if you don’t mind. Do you know what the difference between microbiology and medical microbiology is? At first I thought medical microbiology was a postgraduate course but it seems some unis do an undergraduate course for it as well. Do you think the jobs you can get from microbiology would be the same as medical microbiology?
Hey no problem at all!

I'm sorry I don't. But definitely, do your research on the university websites and forums to learn more about the course/program you will be taking! A little research now is well worth enjoying the next couple of years of your life!

-KharmaMedic (youtube)
Random000
Rep:
?
(Original post by KharmaMedic)
Hey no problem at all!

I'm sorry I don't. But definitely, do your research on the university websites and forums to learn more about the course/program you will be taking! A little research now is well worth enjoying the next couple of years of your life!

-KharmaMedic (youtube)
Okay, thank you for your comment. I appreciate your time and advice.
KharmaMedic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay, thank you for your comment. I appreciate your time and advice.
Anytime! If you have any more questions send them my way! I'll do my best to answer them.

-kharmamedic
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Nottie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I see, well done. For me, my grades are quite low at the moment (at least for medicine), so my best chances are probably foundation medicine. So I'm scared that I don't even get into my fifth option and end up with no uni offers. I can take a gap year but I think it will still be a scary situation to be in. My final mocks which they're going to use as predictions aren't until a few more months so I guess I just need to get the best possible grades for those.
even though your grades matter, you can anyway find unis which focus more on PS and work experience.

I'd say if you get AAA, then take a gap year rather than applying via graduate entry med (GEM). It is much, much harder to get in, it is harder to complete (mainly cause you do 2 years of medicine in 1 year) and some unis started to get rid of their GEM courses so by the time you could be able to apply, GEM might not even exist anymore
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (145)
17.64%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9%
No I am happy with my course choice (485)
59%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (118)
14.36%

Watched Threads