The Student Room Group

AQA Psychology Paper 2 June 8th Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

F*** I said how

basically I said an natural light should be used for the baby to allow her to sleep better cus she sleeped during the day which was lit? Is this wrong?

i talked about treatments for schizophrenia comparing and them? behaviourist = token economy, biological = antipsychotics. expanded on them
Original post by Sara Duro
I didn't write it in terms of nature/nurture and determinism ****

didnt have to i outlined behaviourist approach and then compared real life applications of both approaches biological drug therapy behaviour phobias systematic desensititsation and then criticised behaviourist approach for their observations and said biological approach uses more clinical empiral methods of obtaining data which are more reliable such as eeg's fmris drug trials etc and then compared the nature nurture view about how behaviourist offers a much softer view of determinissm and biological is in genetic and neural
also i talked about how levels of increased serotonin in the brain is linked to depression and this work on neurotransmitter has led to successful antidepressentants again reinforcing real life issues
What did people put for synaptic question? I put how the neurotransmitters travel down the presynaptic nerve terminal and when they defuse from the synaptic vesicles they are taken in and bind onto the post synaptic receptor sites so they cannot go back up. Would that get some marks?

Also for the F and F I explained about Adrenalin leading to an increase in heart rate blood pressure etc... could lead to nerves and anxiousness so could lead to mistakes so less chance of passing test.

My difference between ANS and somatic was that the ANS only has motor pathways whereas the somatic has motor and sensory pathways? Is that okay?
For my essay I outlined quite a lot for AO1 on Pavlovs dogs and skinner rats and did 4 comparisons so,e more explained than others, how many marks could that potentially get me?
did u alse mention social learning theory?
Original post by MilenaKaterina
For my essay I outlined quite a lot for AO1 on Pavlovs dogs and skinner rats and did 4 comparisons so,e more explained than others, how many marks could that potentially get me?
did u alse mention social learning theory?

No I didnt😦
I'm so confused how the rules for grades and stuff work, can someone please explain how many raw marks do u roughly need for an A* , or at least how it worked last year, like how many marks can u lose in total, or in each paper?
for the maths questions, i got 8.4 as mean. 255 for one of them and 27% estimation for multiple choice
what was the answer to the first multiple choice on internal mental processes?
Reply 30
Hi everyone :bump:
Personally I think I did well! I'm pleased with the outcome. :smile:

I just wanted to let all of you know who think they didn't do so well, whatever mark you get, it's the mark you were always meant to get. You did the absolute best you could and that's all that matters. You can't not have done you're best even if you feel like you could have done better because no opportunity was given to you in the course of your revision that could have made you worked any harder than you did! Even if you don't get the grade you need for university, there's a better unexplored road ahead of you! Where ever your life leads its the best path that you could've gone down It's definitely not the end of world. Plus, you still have Paper 3 Get your heads down! :wink:

Approaches:

1. C for multiple choice - because internal mental processes are studied INDIRECTLY through inferences (1)

2. 1 way a schema could be useful and one way it’s not useful - I talked about short-cuts in information processing and that it's not useful due to stereotypes (4)

3. Jed got angry about his detention (4) = displacement of anger on the locker instead of the teacher who gave him detention.

4. 16 marker on comparison of biological and behaviourist: I mentioned the main behaviourist assumption, explained Pavlov and classical conditioning and then briefly mentioned Skinner and talked about operant conditioning. I explained how they both were reductionist, they both were scientific, i also compared their treatments (systematic desensitisation and drug therapy), and I talked about how they were different: nature vs nurture.

Biopsychology:

1. 8 marker on exogenous zeitgebers = I talked about light and social cues and applied to getting the baby to sleep. Shutting the curtains at night and letting natural light in, in the day. Social cues= breastfeeding or activities like building blocks. I didn't evaluate because I didn't realise the question said 'discuss' - Did any of you see that?

2. Why a synapse only goes one way (3) = I talked about action potential and the direction of conduction. I also chucked in information about summation and how there's a synapse at one end, a pre-synaptic neurone and a post-synaptic neurone. I have no idea if this is correct though!

3. Difference between somatic and autonomic (1) = Somatic is for voluntary movements of the skeletal and muscle whereas autonomic is for involuntary movements such as heart beat.

4. Label the neurones (3) =sensory then relay then motor.

5. Mean hours slept (3)= 8.4 (2sf)

6. Fight or flight and the driving test (4)= I outlined how fight-and-flight occurs, mentioning how adrenaline is released from the adrenal medulla. I explained how the effects of adrenaline would not be beneficial for precision in driving the car and therefore may cause a car crash as the driver is preparing for a threat requiring a response of either fleeing of fighting.

Research methods:

1. Assessing reliability (4)= I outlined how to do inter-observer/inter-rater reliability.

2. Improving validity (3) = I said that the questions the investigator gives should be standardised.

3. Why a mean is a good average (2) = involves all values and gives accurate representation.

4. Investigator effects (3) = It means that the investigation is bias in some way, which could be tackled by having standardised questions.

5. Counterbalancing (3) = reduces order effects or practise effects which could effect the recall of dreams.

6. Mean and standard deviation (4) = I explained mean and standard deviation but i think i messed up a bit on the SD, im crap at maths D:

7. Percentage of male aggressive number (3) 225

8. What is a pilot study and give one strength? (4) a mock study in order to detect possible errors such as a confounding variable. I forgot the rest of the question

9. Pie chart (1) 27%

10. Draw the graph (4) I did a bar chart but I put male and female at the bottom and then divided those into friendly and aggressive. then put on the y axis the percentage. Idk if thats right!

11. Why repeated measures? (2) = I explained because then we can control individual differences as we know how each participant will react to each condition.

12. Write a consent form: I outlined ethical issues such as right to withdraw, privacy, confidentiality I forgot what else I mentioned here. I did say "By signing this you are giving your informed consent to take part in this study whereby..." and then outlined what they had to do exactly in the study. and that there will be a debrief.

13. How would you do a content analysis: I said: Pick the sample, write out coding categories, put the data in and then quantify it using tallies.

14. What is meant by "p<0.05"?: that the chance of the null hypothesis being correct is less than 0.05. I forgot what else I wrote!

I'll edit in the rest of the questions if I've missed any: Tell me if I have and ill add 'em! :smile:
what graph did u use in research methods?

bar chart !!
Completely flopped
Reply 33
Original post by lowkz.buddha
spoke about what they were then related it to biological rhythms and talked abit about the circadian rhythm and sleep wake cycle then related it to the work of siffre ssaying how a lack of external cues can increase sleep wake cycl and therefore she needs to be exposed to continous darkness also spoke about light and role of SCN

yassss same
Original post by crumps
Hi everyone :bump:

I just wanted to let all of you know who think they didn't do so well, whatever mark you get, it's the mark you were always meant to get. You did the absolute best you could and that's all that matters. You can't not have done you're best even if you feel like you could have done better because no opportunity was given to you in the course of your revision that could have made you worked any harder than you did! Even if you don't get the grade you need for university, there's a better unexplored road ahead of you! Where ever your life leads its the best path that you could've gone down It's definitely not the end of world. Plus, you still have Paper 3 Get your heads down! :wink:

Approaches:

1. C for multiple choice - because internal mental processes are studied INDIRECTLY through inferences (1)

2. 1 way a schema could be useful and one way it’s not useful - I talked about short-cuts in information processing and that it's not useful due to stereotypes (4)

3. Jed got angry about his detention (4) = displacement of anger on the locker instead of the teacher who gave him detention.

4. 16 marker on comparison of biological and behaviourist: I mentioned the main behaviourist assumption, explained Pavlov and classical conditioning and then briefly mentioned Skinner and talked about operant conditioning. I explained how they both were reductionist, they both were scientific, i also compared their treatments (systematic desensitisation and drug therapy), and I talked about how they were different: nature vs nurture.

Biopsychology:

1. 8 marker on exogenous zeitgebers = I talked about light and social cues and applied to getting the baby to sleep. Shutting the curtains at night and letting natural light in, in the day. Social cues= breastfeeding or activities like building blocks. I didn't evaluate because I didn't realise the question said 'discuss' - Did any of you see that?

2. Why a synapse only goes one way (3) = I talked about action potential and the direction of conduction. I also chucked in information about summation and how there's a synapse at one end, a pre-synaptic neurone and a post-synaptic neurone. I have no idea if this is correct though!

3. Difference between somatic and autonomic (1) = Somatic is for voluntary movements of the skeletal and muscle whereas autonomic is for involuntary movements such as heart beat.

6. Fight or flight and the driving test (4)= I outlined how fight-and-flight occurs, mentioning how adrenaline is released from the adrenal medulla. I explained how the effects of adrenaline would not be beneficial for precision in driving the car and therefore may cause a car crash as the driver is preparing for a threat requiring a response of either fleeing of fighting.

Research methods:

1. Assessing reliability (4)= I outlined how to do inter-observer/inter-rater reliability.

2. Improving validity (3) = I said that the questions the investigator gives should be standardised.

3. Why a mean is a good average (2) = involves all values and gives accurate representation.

4. Investigator effects (3) = It means that the investigation is bias in some way, which could be tackled by having standardised questions.

5. Counterbalancing (3) = reduces order effects or practise effects which could effect the recall of dreams.

6. Mean and standard deviation (4) = I explained mean and standard deviation but i think i messed up a bit on the SD, im crap at maths D:

8. What is a pilot study and give one strength? (4) a mock study in order to detect possible errors such as a confounding variable. I forgot the rest of the question

9. Pie chart (1) 27%

10. Draw the graph (4) I did a bar chart but I put male and female at the bottom and then divided those into friendly and aggressive. then put on the y axis the percentage. Idk if thats right!

11. Why repeated measures? (2) = I explained because then we can control individual differences as we know how each participant will react to each condition.

12. Write a consent form: I outlined ethical issues such as right to withdraw, privacy, confidentiality I forgot what else I mentioned here. I did say "By signing this you are giving your informed consent to take part in this study whereby..." and then outlined what they had to do exactly in the study. and that there will be a debrief.

13. How would you do a content analysis: I said: Pick the sample, write out coding categories, put the data in and then quantify it using tallies.

14. What is meant by "p<0.05"?: that the chance of the null hypothesis being correct is less than 0.05. I forgot what else I wrote!

I'll edit in the rest of the questions if I've missed any: Tell me if I have and ill add 'em! :smile:

My Hero :h: thank u so much for doing this, your memory is crazy!!
Btw my version of I didn't do well is like a lost a few marks cause I am a perfectionist but u are so right, we all did our best so its all right. If you do a similar thing for paper one and 3 pleasee let me know this helped so much bc I forgot all the questions lol.
Reply 35
My Hero :h: thank u so much for doing this, your memory is crazy!!
Btw my version of I didn't do well is like a lost a few marks cause I am a perfectionist but u are so right, we all did our best so its all right. If you do a similar thing for paper one and 3 pleasee let me know this helped so much bc I forgot all the questions lol.

No worries! I'm super glad people are using it 😊! It's not actually from memory, I just collected everyone's questions and put them in as I went along 😂 practically none of them were remembered by me ahah. But yeah I'll see what I can do for paper 3! :smile: I'm pretty sure there's an unofficial mark scheme for paper 1 already :smile: just search in the forums, good luck with your revision!! 😊💗
Original post by crumps
No worries! I'm super glad people are using it 😊! It's not actually from memory, I just collected everyone's questions and put them in as I went along 😂 practically none of them were remembered by me ahah. But yeah I'll see what I can do for paper 3! :smile: I'm pretty sure there's an unofficial mark scheme for paper 1 already :smile: just search in the forums, good luck with your revision!! 😊💗

hey im confused was there only 25 marks each for biopsych and approaches and the rest were approaches or was there 32 marks for each section?
Original post by psych00
yassss same

jheeze
the marks above add up to 81 so hopefully theres 15 more marks at potential also for i think one of the questiosn you put one more mark than the question was
QUOTE=crumps;78186572]Hi everyone :bump:

Approaches:

Biopsychology:

Research methods:

9. Pie chart (1) 27%

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending