The Student Room Group

Where is CIE?

I've seen a lot of AQA, OCR, and Edexcel but no CIE based subjects for a long time. Is this because students in the UK don't do the CIE's much?
Original post by CodeGhoul
I've seen a lot of AQA, OCR, and Edexcel but no CIE based subjects for a long time. Is this because students in the UK don't do the CIE's much?

Goverment funded schools in the UK can't do CIE exams, the government doesn't pay for them and doesn't recognise them for school achievement purposes. A few private/independent schools use them and some private candidates enter for them but they are predominantly an international qualification. TSR is a UK web site and most of its users are interested in UK exams. Never the less there are numerous discussions to be found about CIE exams, though they are not as active as the AQA/Edexcel/OCR or even WJEC ones I would agree. If you want to discuss something, start a thread in the appropriate forum.
Reply 2
Thanks! I've never heard of this before so it's an eye opener in some way or another. Even here, CIE is pretty expensive, 80 odd british pounds per subject.

Original post by gdunne42
Goverment funded schools in the UK can't do CIE exams, the government doesn't pay for them and doesn't recognise them for school achievement purposes. A few private/independent schools use them and some private candidates enter for them but they are predominantly an international qualification. TSR is a UK web site and most of its users are interested in UK exams. Never the less there are numerous discussions to be found about CIE exams, though they are not as active as the AQA/Edexcel/OCR or even WJEC ones I would agree. If you want to discuss something, start a thread in the appropriate forum.
Original post by CodeGhoul
Thanks! I've never heard of this before so it's an eye opener in some way or another. Even here, CIE is pretty expensive, 80 odd british pounds per subject.

It's not the cost (which is similar for all examiners), its that the UK government and it's exams regulator have no control over the content, quality, difficulty, marking and grading of international A levels but do exercise control over exams in UK state schools.

Quick Reply

Latest