Taking a desktop to uni Watch

Thomazo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I will probably be buying a semi decent gaming desktop (around 1000€). I’m going to uni at UCL next autumn, but I’m Finnish so I’d need to move it.

Anyone have any experience with travelling with a desktop and monitor etc by plane? What about just having it inside uni accommodation in general, are there any difficulties that I’ll have to consider?

Or should I just get a laptop instead? I don’t need the portability other than simply moving it to England and back to Finland during summer, and then back to new accommodation etc.
cheapheadphone
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Thomazo)
I will probably be buying a semi decent gaming desktop (around 1000€). I’m going to uni at UCL next autumn, but I’m Finnish so I’d need to move it.

Anyone have any experience with travelling with a desktop and monitor etc by plane? What about just having it inside uni accommodation in general, are there any difficulties that I’ll have to consider?

Or should I just get a laptop instead? I don’t need the portability other than simply moving it to England and back to Finland during summer, and then back to new accommodation etc.
my friend took a desktop to uni but he lives in uk; it was hard for him to move it around in his car.
but i would say that you could split that budget and buy a laptop as well as a 700€ desktop if you were really desperate, and you would have best of both worlds
Thomazo
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheapheadphone)
my friend took a desktop to uni but he lives in uk; it was hard for him to move it around in his car.
but i would say that you could split that budget and buy a laptop as well as a 700€ desktop if you were really desperate, and you would have best of both worlds
Yes, if it turns out a laptop would be useful I will probably also get a cheap laptop that I can take to campus.

Nevertheless, I would need to transport my desktop to the uni halls/flat (whatever kind of room I get) from Finland as otherwise I could only use it for 3 months when I go back for summer.
Stephan0
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
maybe transfer it in a cargo ship
Thomazo
Rep:
?
(Original post by EuanE)
maybe transfer it in a cargo ship
How does that work? Is it expensive/safe(as in, that it won’t break)
Stephan0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How does that work? Is it expensive/safe(as in, that it won’t break)
it shouldn't get damaged if you make sure it goes in safe shipping
Stephan0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
basically its kind of like transferring it in the post
Welshstig
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just buy the parts in the UK.
Thomazo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Welshstig)
That would just mean one less flight.

I’d still have to take it with me to Finland after my first year room contract expires, then take it back next year, take it back to Finland for next summer etc etc...

I’d just be skipping the first flight from Finland to UK.

Besides, I want to buy it now, it’s still almost 4 months until I move anyway.
Thomazo
Rep:
?
(Original post by EuanE)
basically its kind of like transferring it in the post
I see, I’ll look into that.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is probably the best idea.

Buy your PC in the UK, put it in storage over the summer, and get it back when you return.

I imagine truly secure shipping would be quite expensive - but if that's not a problem for you then go for it. You should know what your room look like and whether there is enough space for a desktop.
Brocolli123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can take it. Unless you have tiny accommodation there will be desk to put it on. I recently built mine and am taking it with me. Don't get a laptop no matter what you do, especially a gaming one. You don't need the portability because there will be computers in uni lab and your pc at your room, plus you pay £250 or more extra for the same parts on a laptop and the parts burn out quicker. I wouldn't reccommend getting a pc though until the prices die down from bitcoin mining, I did because i was impatient but I payed same for my 1060 build as my friend for his 1070 build a year before
Welshstig
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That would just mean one less flight.

I’d still have to take it with me to Finland after my first year room contract expires, then take it back next year, take it back to Finland for next summer etc etc...

I’d just be skipping the first flight from Finland to UK.

Besides, I want to buy it now, it’s still almost 4 months until I move anyway.
The thing is, if you build it, you can sell it and make some profit or break-even before each summer. In essence, you get a new more powerful PC every year without ever having to move it.
the_queen
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you know your accommodation? Take care, accommodation at UCL is very super extra small.
Thomazo
Rep:
?
(Original post by the_queen)
Do you know your accommodation? Take care, accommodation at UCL is very super extra small.
No..but surely there must be space for a desk?
Thomazo
Rep:
?
The thing is, if you build it, you can sell it and make some profit or break-even before each summer. In essence, you get a new more powerful PC every year without ever having to move it.
Not really into that
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What about a small powerful laptop, plus a 2nd monitor.
Thomazo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
What about a small powerful laptop, plus a 2nd monitor.
Would cost way more than a powerful desktop, that’s why I prefer a desktop in the first place.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Would cost way more than a powerful desktop, that’s why I prefer a desktop in the first place.
It would be easier to ship a small laptop plus a flat screen than a desktop, monitor AND a "cheap" laptop...

But it's your decision
Thomazo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
It would be easier to ship a small laptop plus a flat screen than a desktop, monitor AND a "cheap" laptop...

But it's your decision
Yes, no sh*t.. the whole point of this thread is to determine whether the hassle of shipping a desktop plus is so great that I should pay 300€+ more for a similar powered laptop.

I’m asking how big the hassle will be so that I can determine whether it’s worth it to spend hundreds more for an inferior machine just to avoid said hassle.

If there were no drawbacks for getting a laptop, there wouldn’t, of course, be a problem at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (99)
34.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.7%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.98%

Watched Threads