The Student Room Group

Why do we have to remove wrist watches for exams this year?

Anyone know why? I never had to take my wrist watch off in GCSEs (2016) but our invigilators revealed that this is a new rule for exams.
(edited 5 years ago)
So they can check the watch to make sure it’s has no notes written on it I presume.
Original post by L0st45
Anyone know why? I never had to take my wrist watch off in GCSEs (2016) but our invigilators revealed that this is a new rule for exams.

It's due to the ownership of iWatches which are considered equal to mobile phones in terms of illegality in external exams
Reply 3
The propensity of smart watches.

Obvious, no?
I had an exam a couple of weeks ago and this happened to me too.
I think this might be due to the increase of people wearing smart watches nowadays - I suppose it's easier and quicker to enforce a blanket ban on wrist watches than to check every student to see what kind of watch they're wearing.
Original post by L0st45

weve always been told to take our watches off? since 2015 and its because of smart watches
It's about smartwatches.

Yeah I think some people tried to sneak in some notes by placing scraps of paper between the wrist and the watch. You know my school doesn't even let you bring in vaseline or lip palm for the same reason!
Original post by L0st45

I would guess it's due to the advent of smart technology (Like the i watch) you might be able to access notes or use a calculator function I know calculator watches have been around for years but only now are they becoming more common place.
Reply 8
I don't recommend you wear a rolex to your exam
Answers on display
Reply 10
Original post by Drewski
The propensity of smart watches.

Obvious, no?

No, not when I have a basic watch which just tells me the time. I was never asked to take it off before this year, as it is not a smart watch. I asked because I'm being by the invigilators told my watch (which tells the time, and does nothing else) has to be taken off and put onto my desk. I was never asked to do it at all at GCSE, it was only smart watches that were the issue. That's why I asked, because I wanted to know why simple watches are now an issue in exams.
Reply 11
Original post by HBPrincess
I had an exam a couple of weeks ago and this happened to me too.
I think this might be due to the increase of people wearing smart watches nowadays - I suppose it's easier and quicker to enforce a blanket ban on wrist watches than to check every student to see what kind of watch they're wearing.

That would make sense. I was just so baffled at the time when told us that if we had a wrist watch it must be removed and placed on the desk directly in front of us, I didn't realise they were employing the smart watch rule to regular, simple wrist watches.
Reply 12
Original post by L0st45
No, not when I have a basic watch which just tells me the time. I was never asked to take it off before this year, as it is not a smart watch. I asked because I'm being by the invigilators told my watch (which tells the time, and does nothing else) has to be taken off and put onto my desk. I was never asked to do it at all at GCSE, it was only smart watches that were the issue. That's why I asked, because I wanted to know why simple watches are now an issue in exams.

its so you cant put notes on the back
if its on the desk they can see you checking it for said notes
Reply 13
Apparently it is because of the new iwatches and not telling the two apart. Understandable I guess, but annoying especially if you cannot see a clock.
Reply 14
Original post by Em395
Apparently it is because of the new iwatches and not telling the two apart. Understandable I guess, but annoying especially if you cannot see a clock.

if you cant see a clock in your exam you have every right to complain to your invigilators
i swear its against the rules to not be able to see a clock
Original post by L0st45

Asking candidates to remove all watches has been advisory for a couple of years but mandatory this year - it's in the exam regulations you are required to have read https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/information-for-candidates-documents/information-for-candidates---written-exams-2017-2018 Quite a efw schools have decided to impose a blanket ban on watches.

I expect the reason watches now have to be removed is that it can be hard for an invigilator to tell whether it's a smart watch or not - having to remove it makes it harder to cheat with and easier for the invigilator to check.
I know, I'm in yr 9 and our year our annoyed too! The end of year examiners are just asking for convo.
Original post by Sgmjb
if you cant see a clock in your exam you have every right to complain to your invigilators
i swear its against the rules to not be able to see a clock

It is indeed a requirement that every candidate be able to see an accurate clock.
Could be because people had notes on their wrist so when they went to 'check the time', they read what was on their wrist and continued with their paper.
People may also keep notes concealed beneath their wrist watch
Not just standard smart watches, there are companies selling watches specifically made to cheat in exams with. They look at first glance like a standard digital watch. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44139459

Quick Reply

Latest