The Student Room Group

Am I being ungrateful? (Not happy with first car)

Ok so it was my birthday 2 days ago and my family surprised me with my first car, I was underwhelmed when I saw it though, it is a 10 reg mini one in black. It has a few small dents, stone chips and scratches but nothing major, the interior is in pristine condition but I wanted a perfect first car, something brand new. I would have loved a Mini Cooper or a brand new mini one rather than a used one, what did you get as your first car and do I sound ungrateful?

Scroll to see replies

thats pretty ungrateful considering in some countries people dont have bikes to even travel, bus fares are expensive and they need to walk miles
My first car (two years ago) was a 2010 Peugot 207, it's so cute - absolutely love it! But that wasn't new, few scratches, but that happens to any car

Brand new cars aren't worth the money anyway, as soon as you drive it off the forecourt you lose so much money
And a first car shouldn't be brand new either - that's something you should work towards, just like a first house/renting isn't perfect - you grow and earn and work towards something better

You should also consider, would your family easily be able to afford a brand new mini? Especially for just one member of the family?
Massively ungrateful. I didn't get given a car, and I don't know anyone who did.
You are grateful, it's just not something you would've picked yourself.
Reply 5
Original post by iElvendork
My first car (two years ago) was a 2010 Peugot 207, it's so cute - absolutely love it! But that wasn't new, few scratches, but that happens to any car

Brand new cars aren't worth the money anyway, as soon as you drive it off the forecourt you lose so much money
And a first car shouldn't be brand new either - that's something you should work towards, just like a first house/renting isn't perfect - you grow and earn and work towards something better

You should also consider, would your family easily be able to afford a brand new mini? Especially for just one member of the family?

Are mini ones good cars?
Reply 6
If you want something you need to go get it and not expect it to be given to you. All i get for birthdays are texts and well wishes lol
Reply 7
Highly ungrateful as many parents would say no to buying a car for their children.
Original post by Anonymous
Ok so it was my birthday 2 days ago and my family surprised me with my first car, I was underwhelmed when I saw it though, it is a 10 reg mini one in black. It has a few small dents, stone chips and scratches but nothing major, the interior is in pristine condition but I wanted a perfect first car, something brand new. I would have loved a Mini Cooper or a brand new mini one rather than a used one, what did you get as your first car and do I sound ungrateful?

At least you got a car! If you are not happy with it take the bus everywhere instead.
Reply 9
Is a 2010 reg car old?
Most people I know had to buy their own cars. You sound so ungrateful.
Reply 11
Is a 2010 reg car old?

Average age of a car is about 8 years, so no it's not old, it's pretty much spot on average.

When you start earning enough of your own money then you can buy yourself a shiny new one. (And face the depreciation hit...)
(edited 5 years ago)
Is a 2010 reg car old?

Seems to me as if you're being insecure and care too much what others think of your car. Seriously it's a first car just be glad you have one lol
Very ungrateful. My parents won’t be buying me a car, even though they can afford it. And it doesn’t matter, because buying seventeen/eighteen year olds brand new cars is ridiculous. It costs an arm and a leg to insure us, so we should feel grateful if our parents choose to insure us for their cars.
I feel a little ungrateful now, maybe I should just enjoy it, I just wished it never had the scratches and there are a few bird etching Staines
Reply 15
I feel a little ungrateful now, maybe I should just enjoy it, I just wished it never had the scratches and there are a few bird etching Staines

Staines-upon-Thames is lovely in the sunshine.
Original post by Randyyy
If you want something you need to go get it and not expect it to be given to you. All i get for birthdays are texts and well wishes lol

exactly exactly

little? AND Paint exists for a reason u kno
I’m just going to try to be happy with it now, I don’t mean to be ungrateful, it’s a nice car, the scratches and dents are completely unrecognisable so I’m just going to enjoy it I guess
Yes, very ungrateful. You were given a car that costs a good few thousand quid and you are not happy?! A bit spoilt, no?

Latest

Trending

Trending