DobbyHasNoMaster
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, guys. I decided to choose DMU as my firm (& Keele as insurance) for Accounting & Finance. Just wasted to know if anyone else has studied there and what their experience of it was?
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey, you could try asking in the applicant chat to see if anyone is there who can help https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4943192
DMU Enquiry Team
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi!

I am a current student at De Montfort University! I am heading in to my final year studying Speech and Language Therapy. I have found it to be a great university and I have two previous degrees already (University of Kent and The University of Toronto) and by far, my experience at DMU has been the best of the three. The campus is not too big nor too small, and I have found that the lecturers are all very encouraging and have time for you as a student (at least on my course).The placements (on my course) have been really good and have helped me to develop my therapy practice. The library also runs loads of courses to help you achieve your best grades through writing workshops and helps ease you in to studying at the university level (e.g. researching skills).

The space on campus is good and generally many areas are pretty quiet (especially in the Vijay Patel Building) if you want to get away and relax a while. The library's open 24/7 and now you don't even get charged for overdue library books (bonus!) *Note: you do get charged if someone else has reserved the book you have out, otherwise, it automatically renews your books without charge if no one does*

Anyway - for me personally, DMU has helped bring out the best in me, helping me discover the skills that I am good at and helping me develop and grow as a Speech and Language Therapist and I'm glad that I chose to attend. I hope that you find it the same on your course

While I do not live on campus (as a mature student) I have friends who do live on campus and have found the experience really good, and there's enough of a night life to keep you entertained. As well, there are many different societies which you can join. Leicester itself is very diverse and always has something going on!

Please reach out if you have any other queries!

Dee @DMU
Anna 06
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DobbyHasNoMaster)
Hi, guys. I decided to choose DMU as my firm (& Keele as insurance) for Accounting & Finance. Just wasted to know if anyone else has studied there and what their experience of it was?
I’ve applied for this course
Bastet304
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DobbyHasNoMaster)
Did you start your course already? I have the same question, and I have been getting mixed answers, and it's really confusing!
Lorilo1398
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am leaving after first year to pursue a degree apprenticeship. This year has been awful. I am a mature student and have had no support, have been bullied by a lecturer who when I made a complaint about his teaching has begun a hate campaign against myself in order to get rid of me off the course. Personal tutoring is awful never able to contact. Half the teaching hours we should have recieved. Tutors copying learning documents from other universities and passing them off as there own. Next to no financial support even though they promise it, and when you have a query they are so unorganised it takes weeks to get any form of response. The only thing they seem to be focused on is attempting to recruit more unsuspecting undergraduates by spending way too much time and money making the grounds look "pretty " I have been on a counselling waiting list through them since november. I would really think before accepting a space as it really is a poor university.
- PS the lessons are on the books you have to buy anyway so the course is entirely self taught.
Bastet304
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Omg. That is awful. Which course were you in?
(Original post by Lorilo1398)
I am leaving after first year to pursue a degree apprenticeship. This year has been awful. I am a mature student and have had no support, have been bullied by a lecturer who when I made a complaint about his teaching has begun a hate campaign against myself in order to get rid of me off the course. Personal tutoring is awful never able to contact. Half the teaching hours we should have recieved. Tutors copying learning documents from other universities and passing them off as there own. Next to no financial support even though they promise it, and when you have a query they are so unorganised it takes weeks to get any form of response. The only thing they seem to be focused on is attempting to recruit more unsuspecting undergraduates by spending way too much time and money making the grounds look "pretty " I have been on a counselling waiting list through them since november. I would really think before accepting a space as it really is a poor university.
- PS the lessons are on the books you have to buy anyway so the course is entirely self taught.
Lorilo1398
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello sorry for the delayed response I was on Biomedical science. I have now left and will be starting a full time role and finishing credits on Open University as it is significantly cheaper. I'm aware quite a substantial chunk of my course left within the first year and to be honest I wish I had spoken up sooner and left in the first term. I honestly think the university needs to be regulated better as it is a complete con. It felt like I was attending an understaffed btec college.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.44%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.78%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
40%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.56%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.22%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.44%

Watched Threads