The Student Room Group

References for mature students without employment

Hi guys, I finished school in 2012 and since then have been self employed running a computer store (mostly home setup, build etc) and now want to apply to university for Computer Science.

In the referneces sections, they want a professional reference since my last academic reference will be too old. Being self-employed, what are my options here?
Original post by mature78945
Hi guys, I finished school in 2012 and since then have been self employed running a computer store (mostly home setup, build etc) and now want to apply to university for Computer Science.

In the referneces sections, they want a professional reference since my last academic reference will be too old. Being self-employed, what are my options here?

You would look for someone who is prepared to give you a reference, independent and of a professional standing. You can then discuss with them about the reference. Do you already have your qualifications?

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/how-get-ucas-undergraduate-reference
Reply 2
Yeah, I checked with the admissions depts and my grades/quals are fine.

Who would you suggest? Do you think a work partner or client would be suitable?
It might be worth doing a module or two at the OU, which shouldn't affect your eligibility for funding for a full time course (check with SFE first though, just in case; also it may affect funding for part time), will refresh your academic skills, and you can then ask the course leader or an individual tutor to provide an academic reference for you? This would probably tick every box, and can be done part time while working (and can help you explore your subject a little more from the academic angle before starting formally).

Otherwise, I would probably suggest outlining your situation with the institutions you plan to apply to and see what they suggest; a client would probably not suffice, although a work colleague might.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending