The Student Room Group

How can I make the most of my masters year?

Hi!

I'll be starting my postgraduate studies in Information Management and Digital Business at Henley Business School this September.

For those who are currently on a postgraduate study or have just completed theirs, what would be your advice to anyone who's starting this September.

How can I achieve my academic goals and still achieve life balance considering the fact that postgraduate studies in the UK are really intensive.

Would love to hear from anyone, not just students at Henley.

Thanks.
Original post by toluakinola
Hi!

I'll be starting my postgraduate studies in Information Management and Digital Business at Henley Business School this September.

For those who are currently on a postgraduate study or have just completed theirs, what would be your advice to anyone who's starting this September.

How can I achieve my academic goals and still achieve life balance considering the fact that postgraduate studies in the UK are really intensive.

Would love to hear from anyone, not just students at Henley.

Thanks.

Hello there!

My advice would be to find ways of getting your social life to compliment your studies where you can! If done right, some of your non-academic activities can provide you with some beneficial networking opportunities, and an extra string to your bow for academic life and employment afterwards.

A great example is my housemate who is studying medieval history - on Monday evenings, he meets up with a nearby history seminar group and then goes out for drink with them afterwards. Some of the attendees are local history enthusiasts, but there are also some senior academics and researchers there too, not to mention the guest speakers that host the seminars.

I can definitely see that going to the seminars and networking with these people has broadened my friend's approach to his career, as well as making some useful contacts. :biggrin:

Given that your degree will be oriented around business and technology, I'm confident that there are similar opportunities available to you. My advice is to search around online for associations or network groups related to the aspects of your degree which you're most interested in. It might seem like an intimidating first step, but it won't be long before you're comfortable in the environment and can begin reaping the benefits. Simply put, get out there and speak to people! :h:

Hope this helped!

Fred - UEA PG Rep
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Do some prep reading. Some alumni recommended two text books on the reading list and it was good advice for me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending