The Student Room Group

Help! How to tell your manager you can't work a shift

Basically Im going on holiday on 10th June to Florida but i recently got a new job and they now want me to go in tomorrow for 8 HOURS the day before i leave for holiday They already know about the holiday im going on but i mentioned it again to the manager!
I really dont wanna be working 8 hours the day before my holiday and I wasnt expecting to be asked to worked this first shift so soon i only had my induction today.

should i ring and say im gonna struggle to make it as im too busy preparing or ????????
Why do you need the day off exactly? Do as much packing as you can this evening and just leave essentials until tomorrow.
Original post by Anonymous
Basically Im going on holiday on 10th June to Florida but i recently got a new job and they now want me to go in tomorrow for 8 HOURS the day before i leave for holiday They already know about the holiday im going on but i mentioned it again to the manager!
I really dont wanna be working 8 hours the day before my holiday and I wasnt expecting to be asked to worked this first shift so soon i only had my induction today.

should i ring and say im gonna struggle to make it as im too busy preparing or ????????

You're hardly going to be spending the entire day packing and preparing. You should be mostly packed by now. Just finish packing today and then you're fine to work tomorrow.
Reply 3
Some people work the same a day as flying. Get over yourself and work. You still have plenty of time to prepare and get ready.
My family and I are away for two weeks tomorrow
All of us have managed to work today.
You don’t need the day off before you go. There’s plenty of time to pack out of work.
If you’ve just started a new job especially you’re going to look pretty flakey if you need a day off for that
Reply 5
Original post by 8472
Some people work the same a day as flying. Get over yourself and work. You still have plenty of time to prepare and get ready.

no they don't lol, dont know anyone who does that actually so go away your comments arent helpful lool, its the fact im not scheduled in at all to be there anyway so whats the point
Original post by Anonymous
no they don't lol, dont know anyone who does that actually so go away your comments arent helpful lool, its the fact im not scheduled in at all to be there anyway so whats the point

Just because you don't know anyone doesn't mean it's not a thing...
There is absolutely no reason why you can't work the day before your are due to go on holiday. If you haven't managed to pack yet, that is your problem and not your manager's. If you want the day before off in the future, ask to have it off as annual leave.
If you don't request specific days off, you won't get them. It's that simple. A lesson for next time.
Say "I won't be available." Don't elaborate or explain. Just "I won't be available". If they press add a "sorry" but the main point you need to hammer home is "I won't be available". You need to learn this for future, too. Any situation where your boss wants you to work and you can't/really don't want to for whatever reason, just say "I won't be available".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending