ns_2 (Conservative & Unionist)

Secretary of State for the Home Department
CoffeeGeek (Conservative & Unionist)

Chancellor of the Exchequer
Rakas21 (Conservative & Unionist)

Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
EagleKingdom (Conservative & Unionist)

Secretary of State for Defence
Life_peer (Interim,Conservative & Unionist)

Secretary of State for Justice
The Champion.m4a (Conservative & Unionist)

Secretary of State for Health
CountBrandenburg (Conservative & Unionist)

Secretary of State for Infrastructure
Andrew97 (Conservative & Unionist)

Secretary of State for Industrial Strategy
Tanqueray91 (Conservative & Unionist)

Chief Mouser to the Cabinet Office
Mr Whiskers (Conservative & Unionist)

Secretaries and minister, roll out!

username2718212
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
An underwhelming choice for the Secretary of State for Justice, it will be interesting to see if they can rise to my expectations.
Joel 96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Grats to everyone selected.
Baron of Sealand
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Vitiate)
An underwhelming choice for the Secretary of State for Justice, it will be interesting to see if they can rise to my expectations.
Were you expecting a sitting judge or something? I'm practically as qualified as 4 of the last 5 real-life Justice Secretary.
SomeWelshGuy123
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
FCO and MOD Secs are shared by the same person and the DPM is SoS for Education... That cabinet is AIDs in its purest form.
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
FCO and MOD Secs are shared by the same person and the DPM is SoS for Education... That cabinet is AIDs in its purest form.
Don't get how that makes it "AIDs" but ok :yy:
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
An interesting cabinet that I look forward to seeing get to work.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I commend the government on a strong cabinet and an intelligent deal with the Libertarians; I hope to see the right work together to get another budget out and hopefully do better than my attempts in the mess and chaos that was last term. Contrary to what some are saying, I think the government are showing promising signs and I await their next steps.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cabinet appears good with JD advising on the budget I'm sure the budget will be good. Rakas and JD possibly the best treasurey team you can get.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
You don't like the fact that we are giving education more importance?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What are the Government's immediate policy priorities?

As a Department I'm particularly interested in, CoffeeGeek, what are your priorities for the Home Office?
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
What are the Government's immediate policy priorities?

As a Department I'm particularly interested in, CoffeeGeek, what are your priorities for the Home Office?
You'll soon see the priorities for all departments.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoffeeGeek)
Sure you cant give me a cheeky little hint?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What specific policy areas will the Secretary of State for Infrastructure and Secretary of State for Industrial Strategy be covering respectively?
username2718212
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by The Champion.m4a)
Were you expecting a sitting judge or something? I'm practically as qualified as 4 of the last 5 real-life Justice Secretary.
Not a encouraging statement since only 1 out of 5 of those Justice Secretaries were legally qualified. Chris Grayling was aptly named "Failing Grayling", Michael Gove is only popular for undoing the worl of Grayling, Liz Truss was an idiot for failing to defend the independence of the judiciary and flaunting the convention Members of Parliament do not criticise judges, David Lidington did little of note and David Guake (the only legally qualified of the bunch) is the only decent Justice Secretary of the bunch.

No, I don't want a sitting judge as sitting infers that they currently work as a judge and that would be against the law as sitting judges cannot sit in the House of Commons or Lords and furthermore cannot be political.
Let us see if you're up to the task, eh?
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoffeeGeek)
Does this mean we'll perhaps be seeing a Queen's Speech released by this government?
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Vitiate)
Not a encouraging statement since only 1 out of 5 of those Justice Secretaries were legally qualified. Chris Grayling was aptly named "Failing Grayling", Michael Gove is only popular for undoing the worl of Grayling, Liz Truss was an idiot for failing to defend the independence of the judiciary and flaunting the convention Members of Parliament do not criticise judges, David Lidington did little of note and David Guake (the only legally qualified of the bunch) is the only decent Justice Secretary of the bunch.

No, I don't want a sitting judge as sitting infers that they currently work as a judge and that would be against the law as sitting judges cannot sit in the House of Commons or Lords and furthermore cannot be political. I merely want someone who is not a moron.

Let us see if you're up to the task, eh?
The point is there's no reason why you should expect appointees here to be better/more qualified than appointees in real life, where people are actually paid, perform these jobs for a living, and chosen from a much wider talent pool. And that the truth is, despite that unrealistic expectation, I am still as qualified as most of them are, and that is the reality, whether you like it or not.

16-year-olds who are doing their GCSEs are appointed here all the time, and you didn't complain. Why are you singling me out?

Is it because I pointed out the flaws of your favourite Minister of Magic?
username2718212
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The point is there's no reason why you should expect appointees here to be better/more qualified than appointees in real life, where people are actually paid, perform these jobs for a living, and chosen from a much wider talent pool. And that the truth is, despite that unrealistic expectation, I am still as qualified as most of them are, and that is the reality, whether you like it or not.
I really doubt it.

16-year-olds who are doing their GCSEs are appointed here all the time, and you didn't complain. Why are you singling me out?
I might need to point out that the last three Justice Secretaries are in legal education with TDA being legally qualified and unless I'm mistaken a practising solicitor.

Oh please, do get over yourself. 😂
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

The thing with the Justice portfolio is that often people know rather too little about it compared to the general knowledge everyone has of, say, the healthcare system or the education system. That's part of the reason why the criminal justice system is in such a state, people don't know enough about what's happening to care. The media, the politicians and the public talk about the NHS all the time, but people don't talk about the courts in the same way.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
The thing with the Justice portfolio is that often people know rather too little about it compared to the general knowledge everyone has of, say, the healthcare system or the education system. That's part of the reason why the criminal justice system is in such a state, people don't know enough about what's happening to care. The media, the politicians and the public talk about the NHS all the time, but people don't talk about the courts in the same way.
Sure, but this is Justice Secretary, not Chief Justice or Attorney General. Judging from what's happening in real life, we can see that it's a department that's treated as any other by the different governments. Most of the time, you don't talk about the courts because you can't or shouldn't, to protect judicial independence. For the same reason, university curricula are less talked about than school curricula are.

And once again, this is a model House of Commons, where 16-year-olds doing their GCSEs are routinely appointed to different offices. Based on my qualifications and experience, would I be more qualified to lead the Education or Foreign offices? Perhaps. But if I were appointed to those offices in the real government, save for my still relatively young age, people would most likely find me more than qualified.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (33)
22.6%
Labour (70)
47.95%
Liberal Democrats (16)
10.96%
Green Party (11)
7.53%
Brexit Party (0)
0%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (1)
0.68%
SNP (4)
2.74%
Plaid Cymru (0)
0%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (2)
1.37%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)