Is oxbridge really easier to get into postgraduate? Watch

jkmlkmlkml
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've heard this before on tsr but never actually looked at postgrad before. Although I never had the confidence to apply at undergrad, i had a similar profile to the average successful person (A*A*A* from *****y school) so was expecting admissions to postgrad to be quite easy.

Now having looked it up as I've finished 3rd year, it seems like it's only "easy" to get into postgrad but to actually get funding you have to be an absolute genius. There's so few funded places (1100 at oxford) which is made worse by foreign students taking up a large portion, which doesn't happen at undergrad.

Is there anyone here on an oxbridge dphil/phd with a "normal" (normal means 80% + science degree/first in arts here) profile instead of research publishing international competition winners? Would really appreciate it if you could give me an idea of how hard really admission is. Thankyou
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jkmlkmlkml)
I've heard this before on tsr but never actually looked at postgrad before. Although I never had the confidence to apply at undergrad, i had a similar profile to the average successful person (A*A*A* from *****y school) so was expecting admissions to postgrad to be quite easy.

Now having looked it up as I've finished 3rd year, it seems like it's only "easy" to get into postgrad but to actually get funding you have to be an absolute genius. There's so few funded places (1100 at oxford) which is made worse by foreign students taking up a large portion, which doesn't happen at undergrad.

Is there anyone here on an oxbridge dphil/phd with a "normal" (normal means 80% + science degree/first in arts here) profile instead of research publishing international competition winners? Would really appreciate it if you could give me an idea of how hard really admission is. Thankyou
Getting an offer and getting funding are 2 different things. The offer rate for grads at Oxbridge are generally a bit "easier" than for undergrad. A first (not a high first), and sometimes a good 2:1, are sufficient - depending on the course.

You can see offer stats on their websites. Oxford's average graduate offer rate is 33%. For undergrads it's 19%. Although both obviously vary by course. Cambridge has similar offer rates.

Which course(s) are you considering?
jkmlkmlkml
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Getting an offer and getting funding are 2 different things. The offer rate for grads at Oxbridge are generally a bit "easier" than for undergrad. A first (not a high first), and sometimes a good 2:1, are sufficient - depending on the course.

You can see offer stats on their websites. Oxford's average graduate offer rate is 33%. For undergrads it's 19%. Although both obviously vary by course. Cambridge has similar offer rates.

Which course(s) are you considering?
dphil in physics. The offer rate for my intended area (condensed matter) is high, but securing fundings the issue.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jkmlkmlkml)
dphil in physics. The offer rate for my intended area (condensed matter) is high, but securing fundings the issue.
And that will be similar at any university. As I'm sure you know you can apply to as many postgrad courses as you like, and hold firm offers too.

I imagine most Physics DPhils at Oxford do secure funding though? Maybe speak to the department.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%