The Student Room Group

Parental restrictions.

Hi. I am 16, and am in an arab muslim household. After a lot of convincing from family members they let me attend a local college. The problem is, i was abroad for my year 9 and so i missed a lot of the content taught for GCSEs. As well as this, i grew with no hope whatsoever for attending any higher education. With this being said, it lead to me not working hard in classes nor paying attention, because my parents didnt even care. i was told at the start of year 11 i can go college if i get good grades. Fair enough right? well i was getting 2s and 3s for the majority of my mocks. And i was expected only 5 and above for these gcses. I have sat a lot of my gcses, and am extremely scared. ive worked so hard the past few months to make up for my daft attitude towards education. if i dont get grades that please my parents i wont be allowed to go, even if my college accepts me. amongst all this i am pretty sure im a lesbian or bisexual, so marriage is out of the qquestion. they say i can study if i marry.
so, would they be fined or something for not letting me go.
ive done my research and it is illegal for under 18 to not be in education or work but there is no penalty or fine. so my parents wont care.
I need a way to make them realsie theres a consequence for not allowing me to go if i get 'bad' grades.
i got a 7 for my english lit that i sat in year 10. so i guess i do have potential.
help please.
My parents were saying similar things but at the end they allowed me to go to college. I made them understand that the exams i sat were hard (and they were!) and that i have tried my best. I didnt get the best grade but i still got in. Is there a job that you really want to do after uni or college? Possibly if you try to make them understand that you really want to do something which you can only do if you go to college they might allow you to go. My parents want me to go to my local uni and don't want me to go to my insurance choice which is quite far from home and they kept telling me that if i dont get ghe grades for my local uni they wont let me go to uni at all and will make me work with my mum. After the few exams i have had they understand that ive worked hard and are accepting that i may need to go elsewhere to do what i really want to do. Just try your hardest in the exam and hopefully you get good grades. Best of luck.x
Original post by Anonymous
My parents were saying similar things but at the end they allowed me to go to college. I made them understand that the exams i sat were hard (and they were!) and that i have tried my best. I didnt get the best grade but i still got in. Is there a job that you really want to do after uni or college? Possibly if you try to make them understand that you really want to do something which you can only do if you go to college they might allow you to go. My parents want me to go to my local uni and don't want me to go to my insurance choice which is quite far from home and they kept telling me that if i dont get ghe grades for my local uni they wont let me go to uni at all and will make me work with my mum. After the few exams i have had they understand that ive worked hard and are accepting that i may need to go elsewhere to do what i really want to do. Just try your hardest in the exam and hopefully you get good grades. Best of luck.x

heyy! thank you for your reply. thank you for our advice, and im glad to hear someone managed to get through to their parents lol. thankyou so much x
yes i want to be a counsellor or therapist, and that requires a counselling course
I really wanted to go University and was ace-ing my grades but during my a-levels. I was even offered a scholarship. But my parents were so laid back they weren't even asking how I was doing. I had to beg to do my a-levels? To this day i still dream of it- having a degree and feeling extremely happy about life. But now I know (although I've doing ok), I will have to get through the discrimination I get for my lack of education.

Please push it. Look into their eyes and tell them. As i regret it every single day

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending