Why doesn't Jeremy Corbyn just suck it up and oppose Brexit? Watch

Al2706
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
He's squandering his opportunity to become PM...
RickHendricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
because if he goes against Brexit, he's going against democracy.

Plus he's already done too much that has already costed him his PM position.
Putrid Paul
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Corbyn has been opposed to Britain being in the EU for longer than you have been alive.
Al2706
Rep:
?
(Original post by Putrid Paul)
Corbyn has been opposed to Britain being in the EU for longer than you have been alive.
Sometimes compromise is necessary to push other areas of your agenda. As far as I can tell EU scepticism isn't his highest priority.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Moscow want to cause as much havoc in the West as possible, so they want the shambolic Brexit process to continue, preferably with Jezza in charge to increase the mayhem.
Al2706
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
Moscow want to cause as much havoc in the West as possible, so they want the shambolic Brexit process to continue, preferably with Jezza in charge to increase the mayhem.
But he won't be in charge if he doesn't change his stance on Brexit, Labour is already moving against him. He's lost the support of Momentum. There could be a vote of no confidence on the horizon unless he compromises.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Al2706)
But he won't be in charge if he doesn't change his stance on Brexit, Labour is already moving against him. He's lost the support of Momentum. There could be a vote of no confidence on the horizon unless he compromises.
Jezza is the great white hope for Labour. despite his lack of competence people will vote for him because .... who knows why ?
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
because it would be the end of the labour party?

Bye bye working class masses that voted labour - bye bye any hope of winning an election.

---

Actually, with a more moderate leader, you could make an arguement that, yes they would loose working class voters, but they would pick up a lot of remain tory voters.. but with corbyn in power, not a chance of tory voters defecting on mass.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Labour threads like this always confuse the labour membership and voters.

The membership are only a small percentage of the voters. Momentum, is a small percentage of the membersihp.

Currently what the membership wants is cleraly to remain.

What the labour voters want? Is much much more devided, and outside london, is very pro-leave.
MongoDB
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Because he hates the European Union. He's the biggest Eurosceptic to head a major UK political party since Michael Foot; if it were not for how much his party loves the EU (for whatever reason) he'd probably be saying we should leave without negotiation.
Al2706
Rep:
?
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
Labour threads like this always confuse the labour membership and voters.

The membership are only a small percentage of the voters. Momentum, is a small percentage of the membersihp.

Currently what the membership wants is cleraly to remain.

What the labour voters want? Is much much more devided, and outside london, is very pro-leave.
From my experience living in the North, there was not a single Labour poster in any local council estate. It was blue through and through. Labour needs to diversify - the Tories are the new UKIP, how is Labour going to appeal to the young and the middle class?
Also, every single poll I have seen in the last few months shows a vast majority in favour of remaining or at least having a second referendum. I find it difficult to believe that Labour voters are, in fact, as Euro sceptic as you claim.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Al2706)
From my experience living in the North, there was not a single Labour poster in any local council estate. It was blue through and through. Labour needs to diversify - the Tories are the new UKIP, how is Labour going to appeal to the young and the middle class?
Also, every single poll I have seen in the last few months shows a vast majority in favour of remaining or at least having a second referendum. I find it difficult to believe that Labour voters are, in fact, as Euro sceptic as you claim.
Between 120 - 160 labour constituencies voted leave.

The problem labour, and the tories have is that they are both broad coalitions of multiple groups, forced to work together due to our awful fptp voting system. Were we to change to a better system, PR for example, we could actually get some popper representation, but as it stands we are forced into these mass arrangments with people we don't agree with.

The reason that it shows more on the left, is that these days the left are far more ideological, passionate and absolutist then the right.

I personally think that the ideological differences are probably greater within the tory party then within the labour party.. but there is a reason why the labour party has a momentum style group, and the tories do not. The tories are far more willing to tolerate each other to get power, whereas the more idoelogical left, would rather stick to their principles then gain power and compromise.. etc.
PilgrimOfTruth
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Putrid Paul)
This

OP should educate him/herself on Corbyn's long history of opposing the EU, allow me to help,:

From https://www.markpack.org.uk/153744/j...corbyn-brexit/

• Jeremy Corbyn voted for Britain to leave the European Economic Community (EEC) in the 1975 European referendum.
• Jeremy Corbyn opposed the creation of the European Union (EU) under the Maastricht Treaty – speaking and voting against it in Parliament in 1993. During the 2016 referendum campaign, Left Leave highlighted repeated speeches he made in Parliament opposing Europe during 1993.
• Jeremy Corbyn voted against the Lisbon Treaty on more than one occasion in Parliament in 2008.
• In 2010, Jeremy Corbyn voted against the creation of the European Union’s diplomatic service.
• Jeremy Corbyn voted for a referendum on Britain’s membership of the EU in 2011 (breaking the Labour whip to do so).
• In 2011 Jeremy Corbyn also opposed the creation of the EU’s European Stability Mechanism, which helps members of the Euro in financial difficulties.
• Jeremy Corbyn opposed Britain’s participation in the EU’s Banking Authority in 2012.
• In 2016 his long-time left-wing ally Tariq Ali said that he was sure that if Corbyn was not Labour leader he would be campaigning for Britain to leave the EU, whilst his brother Piers Corbyn also said that Jeremy Corbyn was privately opposed to Britain’s membership of the European Union.
• Jeremy Corbyn went on holiday during the 2016 referendum campaign and his office staff consistently undermined the Remain campaign. He refused to attend a key Remain campaign launch and also attacked government ministers for publicising the Remain case, saying they should also have promoted arguments in favour of Leave vote. The Director of the Remain campaign, himself a Labour member and candidate, said, “Rather than making a clear and passionate Labour case for EU membership, Corbyn took a week’s holiday in the middle of the campaign and removed pro-EU lines from his speeches”. During the referendum campaign, Leave.EU highlighted Corbyn’s attacks on Europe made in 1996.
• The day after the European referendum in 2016, Jeremy Corbyn called for the immediate invocation of Article 50 – the two year notice to leave the EU – much quicker than even Theresa May wanted.
• In December 2016, Jeremy Corbyn voted in Parliament in favour of the UK leaving the EU and for the process to start no latter than 31 March 2017.
• Jeremy Corbyn three times voted in February 2017 in favour of the Prime Minister starting the process of leaving the European Union.
• During the 2017 general election, the independent Channel 4 Factcheck service found very little difference between Jeremy Corbyn and Theresa May over Europe.
• In the summer of 2017, Jeremy Corbyn opposed Britain remaining in the Single Market. He even sacked from his team Labour MPs who voted in favour of membership of the Single Market.

Why anyone would expect old Comrade Corbyn to behave any differently to the way he is on BrExit is beyond me, but then lots of Corbynistas just followed and got caught up in the pseudo perceived "revolution" and chants of "Oh Jeremy Corbyn" without knowing the foggiest thing about his long anti-EU stance and indeed his reprehensible history with organisations like the IRA, Hamas and Hezbollah.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (17)
15.04%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (7)
6.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (23)
20.35%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (18)
15.93%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (14)
12.39%
How can I be the best version of myself? (34)
30.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed