username3744018
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I need to choose my subjects for a level. So far I’ve chosen:
Fine art
Graphics

For my final option I’m stuck on wether to take psychology or criminology. I’m super interested in both.

Can anyone give me information or guidance on which to take ?
username3955940
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Psychology has a lot of content you need to learn and the evaluations are the most important bit. Your brain will literally be fried! The content isn’t hard to understand its just the amount of stuff you need to memorise that’s hard. Idk about criminology though. Wish I could take it and I take fine art as well and did graphics in GCSE lol
username3744018
Rep:
?
(Original post by Estarossa)
Psychology has a lot of content you need to learn and the evaluations are the most important bit. Your brain will literally be fried! The content isn’t hard to understand its just the amount of stuff you need to memorise that’s hard. Idk about criminology though. Wish I could take it and I take fine art as well and did graphics in GCSE lol
I think I’d be fine with memorising all the stuff but I’m worried if I’m going to find it boring and not what I thought it was gonna be. What do you actually learn about, how the brain works? And I’m just about to take my graphics GCSE’s lol x
username3955940
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Charliehaley)
I think I’d be fine with memorising all the stuff but I’m worried if I’m going to find it boring and not what I thought it was gonna be. What do you actually learn about, how the brain works? And I’m just about to take my graphics GCSE’s lol x
There are several sections that cover a broad range of psychology types so you have (AQA) social influence, memory (cognitive psychology), attachment, psychopathology (mental illnesses) - paper 1

Paper 2 - Approaches (different ways of approaching psychology e.g. a behaviourist view (conditioning), cognitive view (mental processes determine behaviour), biological approach (how brain structures, genes, neurotransmitters influence behaviour), biopsychology (about the brain, nervous system, ways of studying the brain etc), research methods (the biggest section, revolves around how psychologists carry out their studies and basically the methods they use. Warning: you will literally hate this part so much lol. It can appear anywhere on the spec)

Paper 3 - you have topics to chose from so pick one from each option 1. Relationships, gender, cognition and development 2. Schizophrenia, eating behaviour, stress 3. Aggression, forensics, addiction

You will have a chance in some section to learn about how the brain works mainly in the biology sections but the rest is not very brain involved

Oh good luck! X
username3744018
Rep:
?
There are several sections that cover a broad range of psychology types so you have (AQA) social influence, memory (cognitive psychology), attachment, psychopathology (mental illnesses) - paper 1

Paper 2 - Approaches (different ways of approaching psychology e.g. a behaviourist view (conditioning), cognitive view (mental processes determine behaviour), biological approach (how brain structures, genes, neurotransmitters influence behaviour), biopsychology (about the brain, nervous system, ways of studying the brain etc), research methods (the biggest section, revolves around how psychologists carry out their studies and basically the methods they use. Warning: you will literally hate this part so much lol. It can appear anywhere on the spec)

Paper 3 - you have topics to chose from so pick one from each option 1. Relationships, gender, cognition and development 2. Schizophrenia, eating behaviour, stress 3. Aggression, forensics, addiction

You will have a chance in some section to learn about how the brain works mainly in the biology sections but the rest is not very brain involved

Oh good luck! X
Oh that’s sounds super interesting but it does seem a lot to learn! I’m super stuck what one to choose. I watch many crimes documentaries and am so drawn in I can’t stop watching. I’ve tried to find some on psychology to see if it has the same effect but can’t find any.

And thank you! X
username3955940
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Charliehaley)
Oh that’s sounds super interesting but it does seem a lot to learn! I’m super stuck what one to choose. I watch many crimes documentaries and am so drawn in I can’t stop watching. I’ve tried to find some on psychology to see if it has the same effect but can’t find any.

And thank you! X
Yeah it is, but if you’re really interested in it, it won’t seem much at all. I think criminology will have psychology in it since you’ll probably need to know the psychology in a criminal’s mind. Psychology does have criminal stuff in it (forensics) but it’s not a guarantee you’ll be able to do it since your school will probably decide on the paper 3 topics
username3744018
Rep:
?
Yeah it is, but if you’re really interested in it, it won’t seem much at all. I think criminology will have psychology in it since you’ll probably need to know the psychology in a criminal’s mind. Psychology does have criminal stuff in it (forensics) but it’s not a guarantee you’ll be able to do it since your school will probably decide on the paper 3 topics
Ah okay, thank you so much! X
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads