The Student Room Group

Put in a ton of effort, always get sh*t grades

While I spend 3 hours the day before a test/exam revising, my best friend literally doesn't even look at the textbook and always averages 8/9s without even trying, while I only get 6/7s on a GOOD day. I don't mean to moan but it's incredibly frustrating. I've tried so many different ways of learning and none of them work whilst all she has to do is flick through the textbook during the lesson and she's all set.

On top of this, I'm predicted all 8s in my GCSES (which for me is impossible) and teachers keep hassling me to get my grades up while the same teachers are fighting over her for their A level classes. It feels like all the effort I put in is useless, and I'm so close to just giving up altogether.

Scroll to see replies

Some people are just inherently good at certain subjects or studying in general. There's usually a 'cap' on that. I think I made it through Standard Grade (was the GCSE equivalent until some years ago) without ever opening a textbook then started struggling after that point. I know a friend who made it to university without ever studying and then dropped out when it no longer came easy to him and failed the year.

I need to put in a huge number of hours for any test if I want to pass and my friend crams last minute and usually scores higher. But that's just how it is. Don't measure your ability against your friends - you'll be a lot happier if you just focus on yourself.
Original post by hadifer
While I spend 3 hours the day before a test/exam revising, my best friend literally doesn't even look at the textbook and always averages 8/9s without even trying, while I only get 6/7s on a GOOD day. I don't mean to moan but it's incredibly frustrating. I've tried so many different ways of learning and none of them work whilst all she has to do is flick through the textbook during the lesson and she's all set.

On top of this, I'm predicted all 8s in my GCSES (which for me is impossible) and teachers keep hassling me to get my grades up while the same teachers are fighting over her for their A level classes. It feels like all the effort I put in is useless, and I'm so close to just giving up altogether.

Without sounding like I'm copying the previous reply, you need to focus on yourself and stop caring about those around you. You need to look at this with a long-term perspective. Yes, that person who barely tries can ace things now, but that approach will be ripped apart once you get out the education system. Of course, some people are naturally talented, but there will be things you'll be much better than them at. It's just like there's always someone more beautiful or more intelligent than us, should we give up being the best we can be? Of course not, that would just be stupid. So this is my main tip, focus on yourself and doing the best you can. If you can go to bed knowing you did the best at your current ability (which can always be improved) then you have nothing else to prove, let everyone worry about all that pressure. It makes sense, follow your own compass. I hope this helped.

Regards
Reply 3
All I can honestly say is that you should do you! You never know what your friend has done beforehand with her revision that you haven't seen. I know people (including myself - to some extent) who get home do all their work, have an intensive solid 4-6 hours of revision, reading, doing exam questions, reciting notes, watching youtube videos and whatever else helps; and then when they get into school, because they have done all of that, relax and chill for a little and, dare I say this, they have a break and just skim through a little text book or talk to friends and to other people. It all seems like they have done absolutely nothing to get good grades when in fact the lack of sleep and time that have been engulfed by revision is the reason why they are doing so well.

My A-level physics teacher told me in one of my lessons that you know you haven't revised effectively if you don't feel mentally exhausted afterwards, that is, you haven't really challenged yourself and thought outside of the box. So maybe try that in your revision these days, but please remember to not overwork or cram as it may have adverse effects! It's all about having a healthy revision plan that challenges you but leaves you understanding more than you previously understood. I hope this helps x
Original post by hadifer

Ur probably one of those people who spend 3 hours making mind maps and flash cards instead of revising. If u revise u do well. So stop making excuses
Well if you think your revision has enabled you to memorise and understand the content, but you still repeatedly mess up in exams, it's most likely your exam technique you need to work on. Therefore you need to change your revision method so that it caters to your needs rather than just trying out a bunch of methods that doesn't really address the problem.
You need to use your brain when you revise. Start visualising and linking concepts you learn about to real life and really think about them. So many people mindlessly read/listen to things and try to recite them without truely understanding the concept and the reasons behind doing things.
Original post by hadifer

And this is what annoys me. Do you realise the depth of grade 8/9 questions? You can’t just do minimal and get nothing. Just because you don’t see them doing much doesn’t they don’t. I seem pretty chill at school. You know why? Because I work hard nearly every single night. But of course nobody sees that, they just ASSUME you do nothing, then complain when their few weeks of work isn’t enough.
Revising the day before isn’t good enough, your friend probably studies through out the year and doesn’t tell you
Reply 9
Original post by hadifer

if these are big exams, then 3 hours if very little and the day before is too late. try revising more and start earlier, and make sure you understand your work the first time around.
Original post by RicoChandarana
Ur probably one of those people who spend 3 hours making mind maps and flash cards instead of revising. If u revise u do well. So stop making excuses

Totally agree. People think that revising is about only going over things you know well and making it flashy. Revising is supposed to be concise, taking minimal time. Why on earth would anybody revise for three hours at a time the night BEFORE an exam and not expect to feel pooped?
Hi,

Passively reading pages and pages or highlighting pages will do absolutely nothing. I'm retaking one of my A levels which is essay based and even for this I used to read and read thinking somehow I'll memorise it all for the exam. No, because you're not recalling what you've learnt, you're not making links to other topics, get a white board and a marker then test yourself.
(edited 5 years ago)
Study smart.
Take a 10 minutes break for every 20 minutes you study. Don’t do anything related to studies when taking break.
Don’t memorise, you have to remember by heart so that you won’t need to revise again before every exam.
Reward yourself (chocolate or something light will do) after complete certain topic
For me revising notes is more than sufficient, but you could go through past questions if you aren’t confident. Unless you are really weak in a certain subject, don’t rely on tuition or assessment books.

Btw I only study the day before exam for about 2 hours yet I can TOP the class easily. I see my friends all cramping info like 2-3 weeks before exam so maybe I’m naturally talented
That's literally me at times.
Your friend probably does revision while you may not think he/she's doing it.
Reply 15
Original post by RicoChandarana

No I don't make flashcards or mindmaps, I already know how unhelpful they are. I do questions and practise papers. And the whole reason I made this thread was because I'm a living contradiction of "if you revise you do well." lol.
Reply 16
Original post by Jono*
if these are big exams, then 3 hours if very little and the day before is too late. try revising more and start earlier, and make sure you understand your work the first time around.

Oh no these are just end of topic tests usually, but I'm going to try starting earlier.
Original post by hadifer

Biggest lie , this person who 'flicks' through a text book probably puts in 3x the effort you do. That's the reality.
Reply 18
Original post by Nickie1044
And this is what annoys me. Do you realise the depth of grade 8/9 questions? You can’t just do minimal and get nothing. Just because you don’t see them doing much doesn’t they don’t. I seem pretty chill at school. You know why? Because I work hard nearly every single night. But of course nobody sees that, they just ASSUME you do nothing, then complain when their few weeks of work isn’t enough.

Apologies if I didn't make this clear in the original post, but I'm not talking JUST the day before. I mean in addition to all the the work I've done in the weeks beforehand too. I'm not assuming she does nothing- I agree that would be stupid- I've never seen her even pick up a revision book in the 3 years we've been best friends. She's explicitly stated she does no revision ( partly because she doesn't know how to) and spends most of her time out afterschool. I know this is really hard to believe, but it's true, she's just incredibly smart.
(edited 5 years ago)
wow i revise and i only get 2's and 3's lol i don't know what you are talking about

Quick Reply

Latest