Choosing A-Levels

Watch this thread
NDJWBVGS
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I’m in year 10 and I do german and French at gcse. I’ve always liked languages and I’ve always wanted to do them both at A-Level as I want to continue German at university. My school has always offered it as an A-Level until yesterday when they announced they would be stopping it. I really want to stay at the school as it is a top grammar school and the only nearby schools that do german a-level are the college and a local comprehensive (neither are very good). There are other grammar schools in other parts of the city that offer german (birmingham) but I don’t really want to go to them- what should I do?
ahmettwo
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
My school did the same except a week ago ( 2 weeks before my friends was meant to take German A level, ouch)
Way I see it you have two options:
You can go to another school and study German and french a level

or

You can take 3 other subjects at your current school and study these languages in your spare time or find other courses near you for these languages

Look at what the uni of your choice is saying: if they NEED you to have language a levels to do them in university then you might wanna go for option one and jump ship, yeah it's gonna be a little tough in a new environment but in the end A levels are all about your effort, no matter how good the school is it's down to your effort. But if the uni doesn't require language a levels, then you can stay and do language in your spare time. It's really just up to your universities of choice.

What universities have you thought about?

Hope I helped!
NickMbugua
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
OMG! i applied to St.M for sixth form and they told me they are cancelling the subject. (ps im a boy)
If you really want to stay, i would say why not continue German outside of school, for example i know there are other evening schools in central london (south ken) that teach German to those who want to learn.

Other than that, there arent really any options if you want to stay besides, studying it yourself.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
You can start German "ab initio" at university not infrequently; usually the only language subject which has to be started post A-level is French. However, usually you can only start an ab initio language with a post A-level language; so you would (probably) need to at least start with French as well at university on a joint course (although you may be able to transfer onto a single honours course after first year).

If your aim is to study modern languages at university in any form you should try and take at least one language, even if it isn't your intended target language as usually universities like to see some prior language study to A-level standard. However, you may want to do some research into the universities you're interested in applying to and their language course formats, and see if you can start German ab initio or not, either individually or with another language (or non-language subject). You may be able to self study the language, either for the A-level exam or more generally, however you will be most likely expected to be taking 3 full A-levels otherwise (quite possible including French, per the above) which is not an insignificant commitment; you run the risk of overstretching yourself, particular given the ongoing workloads of language subjects.

You may need to decide whether going to a "better" school is worth not studying your desired subject at university to you however.
NDJWBVGS
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by ahmettwo)
My school did the same except a week ago ( 2 weeks before my friends was meant to take German A level, ouch)
Way I see it you have two options:
You can go to another school and study German and french a level

or

You can take 3 other subjects at your current school and study these languages in your spare time or find other courses near you for these languages

Look at what the uni of your choice is saying: if they NEED you to have language a levels to do them in university then you might wanna go for option one and jump ship, yeah it's gonna be a little tough in a new environment but in the end A levels are all about your effort, no matter how good the school is it's down to your effort. But if the uni doesn't require language a levels, then you can stay and do language in your spare time. It's really just up to your universities of choice.

What universities have you thought about?

Hope I helped!
I don’t really know what uni I want to go to at the moment but for the sort of course I’m interested in needs a language so I’m going to look into other schools offering A-Level German and see what they offer- thanks 👍🏻😃

(Original post by NickMbugua)
OMG! i applied to St.M for sixth form and they told me they are cancelling the subject. (ps im a boy)
If you really want to stay, i would say why not continue German outside of school, for example i know there are other evening schools in central london (south ken) that teach German to those who want to learn.

Other than that, there arent really any options if you want to stay besides, studying it yourself.
Thanks, you’ve saved me a lot of unnecessary stress 👍🏻
student004
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by NDJWBVGS)
I’m in year 10 and I do german and French at gcse. I’ve always liked languages and I’ve always wanted to do them both at A-Level as I want to continue German at university. My school has always offered it as an A-Level until yesterday when they announced they would be stopping it. I really want to stay at the school as it is a top grammar school and the only nearby schools that do german a-level are the college and a local comprehensive (neither are very good). There are other grammar schools in other parts of the city that offer german (birmingham) but I don’t really want to go to them- what should I do?
honestly I moved from a comprehensive school to a grammar school and the teachers were just worse. So I think you should consider moving and I think grammar schools are given such a high reputation because a large majority of people in the school put effort into their education and care about it whereas in a comprehensive school there is a smaller percentage but if you move to alevels you'll see that the percentage is almost the same. If you have right mindset and you can work hard you can succeed anywhere. Personally, I have seen that comprehensive school teachers give more attention to people that willing to work hard whereas in grammar school they expect you to do everything yourself there's not that much support. This isn't just my experience, several of my friends that have also moved felt this lack of support from the teachers.

I mean after all if you like the school then stay.

But also check the courses you want to apply to at uni because you might require German a level.
If thats the case then you will have to do it unless you want to change your choice of course or check other unis but most likely they will have expected you to do german.

I also wanted to do German but I moved to a grammar school and they didn't offer it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (2)
100%
It went fairly well (0)
0%
It didn't go too well (0)
0%
TERRIBLE! (0)
0%

Watched Threads