Turn on thread page Beta

HELP! Unsure of my a-level choices... watch

ReputationRep:
    So I’ll start off by saying my main career goal is to be an actor, I’d ultimately like to go to drama school, but I’m unsure of whether I’d like to go to uni first or not however I don’t need to think that far ahead right now.

I’m in year 11 and basically wanted to make this post just to see what people think, as I was quite confident in my choices but now not so much and I’m really don’t want to be pressured into taking subjects I don’t like (by teachers) which happened at GCSE so I’d like to hear what you guys have to say.

Sooooo, obviously I’m taking drama which I do really enjoy so that is a definite. Then I decided to choose sociology and psychology. The social sciences department in my school is probably the best out of all of them and I know the teacher that teaches sociology is really nice. I thought these would all go well together with drama. I’ve heard sociology and psychology don’t go AT ALL but aside from biology or something they’re the closest match. I’m really interested in psychology but know people say it’s overrated and lot of people are choosing it from my school (I’m going to my school’s sixth form). I’m also interested in sociology, but both of which will be completely new subjects to me but I have a feeling I’ll be good at them. My fourth and final choice is photography. I added this last minute because it doesn’t clash with any of my subjects and I wish I’d done it at GCSE. I think I’d also be pretty good at it as the art teachers at school really wanted me to pick art but i didn’t and so I think photography would be a nice creature he outlet but not such a demanding choice. Overall, there aren’t any subjects I’m that interested in that won’t clash with each other, but I’m not sure if taking photography is the right choice. I realised that you can’t really drop your fourth subject anymore because there’s no AS and so if I did, it would basically bee a waste of a year. Is this right? I also thought about doing media, which I think is quite similar to film studies or something which I would love to take if my school did it. I’m not sure 3 essay based subjects would be the best though.

Anyways please tell me what you think if you bothered to read all of that. If you do any of these subjects, I’d love to hear your experience. Thanks!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Creative* loool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noorh)
    So I’ll start off by saying my main career goal is to be an actor, I’d ultimately like to go to drama school, but I’m unsure of whether I’d like to go to uni first or not however I don’t need to think that far ahead right now.

I’m in year 11 and basically wanted to make this post just to see what people think, as I was quite confident in my choices but now not so much and I’m really don’t want to be pressured into taking subjects I don’t like (by teachers) which happened at GCSE so I’d like to hear what you guys have to say.

Sooooo, obviously I’m taking drama which I do really enjoy so that is a definite. Then I decided to choose sociology and psychology. The social sciences department in my school is probably the best out of all of them and I know the teacher that teaches sociology is really nice. I thought these would all go well together with drama. I’ve heard sociology and psychology don’t go AT ALL but aside from biology or something they’re the closest match. I’m really interested in psychology but know people say it’s overrated and lot of people are choosing it from my school (I’m going to my school’s sixth form). I’m also interested in sociology, but both of which will be completely new subjects to me but I have a feeling I’ll be good at them. My fourth and final choice is photography. I added this last minute because it doesn’t clash with any of my subjects and I wish I’d done it at GCSE. I think I’d also be pretty good at it as the art teachers at school really wanted me to pick art but i didn’t and so I think photography would be a nice creature he outlet but not such a demanding choice. Overall, there aren’t any subjects I’m that interested in that won’t clash with each other, but I’m not sure if taking photography is the right choice. I realised that you can’t really drop your fourth subject anymore because there’s no AS and so if I did, it would basically bee a waste of a year. Is this right? I also thought about doing media, which I think is quite similar to film studies or something which I would love to take if my school did it. I’m not sure 3 essay based subjects would be the best though.

Anyways please tell me what you think if you bothered to read all of that. If you do any of these subjects, I’d love to hear your experience. Thanks!

I didn’t take any of those subject but I have a friend who wants to do exactly the same thing, she loves drama. She does media drama and film studies, I also have a mate who does psychology and wants to study it. To be hornets with you out of everyone the girl who does drama media and film studies is the only one out of us that’s actually happy😂😂. Like A-levels is really not about what you think you’re good at in GCSE, or when you get your grades you do really well in a subject doesn’t mean you should take it honestly cause that’s what I did I do maths chem and physics and honestly it’s atrocious. You should definitely take drama and film studies and maybe English? But I wouldn’t advise psychology and sociology if you don’t need them in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noorh)

Just wondering why English Literature isn't an option, given the relevance to your ultimate goal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Just wondering why English Literature isn't an option, given the relevance to your ultimate goal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I’m good at English and do it enjoy it but hated my experience being taught it at gcse and don’t agree with the strenuous exam process

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inma_99)
    I didn’t take any of those subject but I have a friend who wants to do exactly the same thing, she loves drama. She does media drama and film studies, I also have a mate who does psychology and wants to study it. To be hornets with you out of everyone the girl who does drama media and film studies is the only one out of us that’s actually happy😂😂. Like A-levels is really not about what you think you’re good at in GCSE, or when you get your grades you do really well in a subject doesn’t mean you should take it honestly cause that’s what I did I do maths chem and physics and honestly it’s atrocious. You should definitely take drama and film studies and maybe English? But I wouldn’t advise psychology and sociology if you don’t need them in the future.
    I would take film studies but my school doesn’t offer it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noorh)

I do psychology AQA board and there’s a lot of content you need to remember. Information isn’t hard to understand but it’s just the memorisation of everything. It’s split into 3 papers and each paper has about 40 pages of textbook stuff you need to know quite thoroughly. I do like psychology, though I was quite disappointed from the content since it wasn’t as interesting as I thought it would be. Not to mention, the actual content isn’t your main focus and evaluations of theories, studies etc are the most important part. Really hate the evaluation and I don’t know anyone else that likes them. You will have to spend so much time revising it’s actually ridiculous. Consider the amount of time and effort you have to put into the subject and whether it’s worth it

I considered sociology and I wish I had done it, but I know lots of of other people that do the subject. My friend me that you do stuff like family functioning, education and stuff like that (AQA board) so I don’t know if you’re interested in that. I’m pretty sure there’s also a lot of content to revise for. I have a few friends that do both psychology and sociology and they’ve complained a lot about how much there is to revise and how they split their time for each

I saw another comment about English literature and I think it’s a good choice for if you want to do drama. A few drama students so English lit here. I do the subject (AQA board) and you get to study a few plays (I studied Othello and A Streetcar Named Desire) which I think would be very useful for you. There’s a lot of studying for each text, but for the exam you would only need to remember a like 1/4 or even less. Most of the stuff you need to remember are points, context and maybe some stuff about what critics say. I think it’s good to consider this choice!

I don’t do photography but I do art instead and I’m pretty sure photography will have a lot of work and time dedicated to it. For me, art took up soooo much of my time and I was constantly stressed about it. You might lose the motivation to do any work for the subject since it’s such a sheer amount. This might impact on how you revise for your other subjects so try and consider this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Estarossa)
    I do psychology AQA board and there’s a lot of content you need to remember. Information isn’t hard to understand but it’s just the memorisation of everything. It’s split into 3 papers and each paper has about 40 pages of textbook stuff you need to know quite thoroughly. I do like psychology, though I was quite disappointed from the content since it wasn’t as interesting as I thought it would be. Not to mention, the actual content isn’t your main focus and evaluations of theories, studies etc are the most important part. Really hate the evaluation and I don’t know anyone else that likes them. You will have to spend so much time revising it’s actually ridiculous. Consider the amount of time and effort you have to put into the subject and whether it’s worth it

I considered sociology and I wish I had done it, but I know lots of of other people that do the subject. My friend me that you do stuff like family functioning, education and stuff like that (AQA board) so I don’t know if you’re interested in that. I’m pretty sure there’s also a lot of content to revise for. I have a few friends that do both psychology and sociology and they’ve complained a lot about how much there is to revise and how they split their time for each

I saw another comment about English literature and I think it’s a good choice for if you want to do drama. A few drama students so English lit here. I do the subject (AQA board) and you get to study a few plays (I studied Othello and A Streetcar Named Desire) which I think would be very useful for you. There’s a lot of studying for each text, but for the exam you would only need to remember a like 1/4 or even less. Most of the stuff you need to remember are points, context and maybe some stuff about what critics say. I think it’s good to consider this choice!

I don’t do photography but I do art instead and I’m pretty sure photography will have a lot of work and time dedicated to it. For me, art took up soooo much of my time and I was constantly stressed about it. You might lose the motivation to do any work for the subject since it’s such a sheer amount. This might impact on how you revise for your other subjects so try and consider this
    Wow this is really insightful thank you! I didnt realise psychology was like that and I’m honestly questioning it over English, I do agree that it works with drama. However I do expect a heavy workload but memorisation like that sounds like biology. So do you prefer English or psychology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noorh)
    Wow this is really insightful thank you! I didnt realise psychology was like that and I’m honestly questioning it over English, I do agree that it works with drama. However I do expect a heavy workload but memorisation like that sounds like biology. So do you prefer English or psychology?
    Yeah no problem! I think English is a lot more relevant to you yeah but biology has definitely got more understanding involved as well as memorisation. NGL I don’t like any of my subjects (like hate pretty much) but definitely psychology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noorh)
    I’m good at English and do it enjoy it but hated my experience being taught it at gcse and don’t agree with the strenuous exam process
    And drama school isn't strenuous???

ReputationRep:
    And drama school isn't strenuous???
    Wdym?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noorh)

Firstly, a couple of points: from what I've heard, the assumption that art is an "easy option" is very misguided. My friend who does it said that it was more work than Economics and Maths combined since he had to do SO MUCH coursework and everyone I've ever spoken to who does it says that it is unbelievably work heavy. It's still certainly a fun and creative outlet and certainly is a great A level to take - but don't go into it thinking you can slack off/do no work.

Also I somewhat disagree with the idea that A level choices should complement each other. Unless one will help another (e.g. maths for physics), there's no real argument for why similar A levels should be taken in my opinion other than if you enjoy a certain type of subject (e.g. creative).
    Psychology is content heavy and seemingly quite science based, but a lot of people find it interesting. Nevertheless, perhaps have a quick look at one chapter from a textbook and see if it's something that interests you.
    Sociology is generally a bit more essay based - again I'd argue having a flick through a textbook to see if you'd enjoy it. Also, don't just pick a subject because the teacher is nice - they may leave or you might not end up with them.
    Other options:
    English Literature has been suggested by a lot of people on here and I don't disagree. I took it to A2 (I'm halfway through my English exams right now) and I love it! I do the OCR syllabus and I can honestly say that I think it is actually far from a strenuous exam process - the specification is the least constraining of all the ones I do and is the most open to individual exploration (particularly coursework, which is a nice benefit) and interests. The exam itself has lots of options and really encourages writing something interesting rather than some focused essay of limited scope. I can't speak for any other exam board, but if your school does OCR, I'd argue that (1) your dislike of GCSE English teaching shouldn't matter since there is so much off-syllabus scope (I taught myself a significant amount of the course / chose texts different to what my teachers are doing) and (2) it is not as strenuous an exam process as some (possibly Psychology due to its high fact content?). Also, as many many people have notes, English lit generally includes multiple plays which tie into drama, and it's probably quite important for you to read widely regarding plays for Drama too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martins1)
    Firstly, a couple of points: from what I've heard, the assumption that art is an "easy option" is very misguided. My friend who does it said that it was more work than Economics and Maths combined since he had to do SO MUCH coursework and everyone I've ever spoken to who does it says that it is unbelievably work heavy. It's still certainly a fun and creative outlet and certainly is a great A level to take - but don't go into it thinking you can slack off/do no work.

Also I somewhat disagree with the idea that A level choices should complement each other. Unless one will help another (e.g. maths for physics), there's no real argument for why similar A levels should be taken in my opinion other than if you enjoy a certain type of subject (e.g. creative).
    Psychology is content heavy and seemingly quite science based, but a lot of people find it interesting. Nevertheless, perhaps have a quick look at one chapter from a textbook and see if it's something that interests you.
    Sociology is generally a bit more essay based - again I'd argue having a flick through a textbook to see if you'd enjoy it. Also, don't just pick a subject because the teacher is nice - they may leave or you might not end up with them.
    Other options:
    English Literature has been suggested by a lot of people on here and I don't disagree. I took it to A2 (I'm halfway through my English exams right now) and I love it! I do the OCR syllabus and I can honestly say that I think it is actually far from a strenuous exam process - the specification is the least constraining of all the ones I do and is the most open to individual exploration (particularly coursework, which is a nice benefit) and interests. The exam itself has lots of options and really encourages writing something interesting rather than some focused essay of limited scope. I can't speak for any other exam board, but if your school does OCR, I'd argue that (1) your dislike of GCSE English teaching shouldn't matter since there is so much off-syllabus scope (I taught myself a significant amount of the course / chose texts different to what my teachers are doing) and (2) it is not as strenuous an exam process as some (possibly Psychology due to its high fact content?). Also, as many many people have notes, English lit generally includes multiple plays which tie into drama, and it's probably quite important for you to read widely regarding plays for Drama too.
    I definitely already realise art is extremely hard work, which is the reason I didn’t pick it at GCSE, but photography is different and a typically lighter work load. The new English GCSEs (aqa) that I just took had us struggling to remember 15 poems, 2 plays and a novel, which stressed me out horribly. I have heard OCR is better actually, half is open book, half is closed! And I did flick through my school’s sixth form booklet this morning and the alevel English exam board is OCR! Also, I am actually interested in sociology and have looked it up online and asked fellow students and said teacher a bit about it so it’s not solely because he’s nice haha. Anyway thanks so much for your advice, this post has been more helpful than expected!

ReputationRep:
    my friend wants to be an actor and hes doing politics, drama and classical civilisations. psychology is interesting but i think it would be better for you to do more humanity-based subjects, like maybe drama, one or two humanities like politics or english lit or media or photography, and then psychology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoongles)
    my friend wants to be an actor and hes doing politics, drama and classical civilisations. psychology is interesting but i think it would be better for you to do more humanity-based subjects, like maybe drama, one or two humanities like politics or english lit or media or photography, and then psychology
    I’ve never heard of classic civilisations haha but our school does do politics. I’m thinking to do drama, sociology and English but politics is something that I also want to look into. My history teacher also teaches politics and he’ll be really keen to talk to me about it. Psychology is an interest to me but I doubt I’ll pick it now having really thought it through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noorh)
    Wdym?
    That if you can't cope with the stress of English Literature A-level, how will you cope with drama school? The point is probably moot anyway: drama schools will only care about your acting ability and potential, not your A-level subjects.

ReputationRep:
    That if you can't cope with the stress of English Literature A-level, how will you cope with drama school? The point is probably moot anyway: drama schools will only care about your acting ability and potential, not your A-level subjects.
    Because I genuinely enjoy and have a passion for acting, you can’t really compare the two imo because drama a-level is probably really stressful, as are all of them its just I didn’t like our memory being tested above all in a subject like English which should at least have coursework.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noorh)
    Because I genuinely enjoy and have a passion for acting, you can’t really compare the two imo because drama a-level is probably really stressful, as are all of them its just I didn’t like our memory being tested above all in a subject like English which should at least have coursework.
    English Literature A level (OCR - which I think you said yours is) is 20% coursework. Drama A level I am pretty sure has pretty similar requirements to English A level in the sense that it requires essays in exams which are pressured and require a lot of memorisation. Nevertheless, the key with both subjects is that you get to remember what you like as long as it helps you write a good essay in the exam, so there's not certain stuff you need to learn. Hence why I suggest English Lit - if you like Drama A level, you'll probably enjoy English too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noorh)

I’m in year 11 too but my sixth form choices are completely different😂
    Seeing as you want to be an actor and like drama, is dance an option? Or like kind of a dance/PE option a possibility?
    Also think you might seriously want to consider English because I’ve heard it’s nothing like GCSE and much much more enjoyable.
    I always think maths is important as it may be useful later if you want to change careers.
    If you want to be an actor perhaps another option could be acting college? That way you could really focus on that.
    Some sixth forms allow you to start with 5 subjects for a few weeks then you drop the one you like least, if you sixth form does that perhaps it could help you decide which courses you’d most like to continue with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noorh)
    I’ve never heard of classic civilisations haha but our school does do politics. I’m thinking to do drama, sociology and English but politics is something that I also want to look into. My history teacher also teaches politics and he’ll be really keen to talk to me about it. Psychology is an interest to me but I doubt I’ll pick it now having really thought it through.
    Have you considered geography or history as another humanity subject?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.