The Student Room Group

If I want to be a doctor, do I need to do Maths A Level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iras
Haha I personally found year 12 physics to be of little to no use for my BMAT. It's gcse level, so you just need to revisit it and you get given an online revision guide which has everything you need to know for the BMAT, so don't worry about the physics in bmat. You could do that though it'll just be extra workload throughout year 12, but it depends on if you can manage your time well.
And ukcat doesn't test any technical knowledge in any subject

Lool guess my teacher is just trying to get me to do their subject
Reply 21
My advice would be to take 3 A-Levels not 4 both to maximise your chances of getting A's and to allow yourself enough time to turn yourself into a really great candidate for Medical Schools. It takes a lot of work researching the courses and what the different schools all want and what suits you, getting the right work experience, interview and test practice and getting all the elements in place to put together a great personal statement. Applying for medical school is almost like taking another A-Level.

It is a good point about keeping your hand in with the physics but, someone else will correct me if I am wrong, I think the B-Mat level of Physics questions is GCSE so you should be OK. Anyway, a lot of people choose just to apply to UKCAT Universities. There are a lot of questions about dilution, percentages etc in both tests and MMI stations but if you think your mathematics is generally strong you should be OK with the mental arithmetic.
Original post by h.annahtamara
Okay so I just did my maths gcse paper and that exam was beyond tragic. I can’t do that again. My current A Level choices are Biology Chemistry Physics and Maths. Do I need maths for medicine or can I switch for Psychology or just drop it?

What exam board was your maths gcse on
Original post by h.annahtamara
I wasn’t sure whether I was going to do physics but my teachers advised me to do it for the first year then drop it so I know enough theory for the bmat/ukcat

There's no physics involved in the UKCAT at all.. it's a glorified Mensa test.

As others have said, you don't need Physics or Maths to study Medicine. The level of mathematic ability you need to work as a doctor is equivalent to GCSE level.
Original post by *pitseleh*
There's no physics involved in the UKCAT at all.. it's a glorified Mensa test.

As others have said, you don't need Physics or Maths to study Medicine. The level of mathematic ability you need to work as a doctor is equivalent to GCSE level.

Thanks this has reassured me a lot :smile:)
Original post by omarwastaken
What exam board was your maths gcse on

EDEXCEL IGCSE the new 9-1 absolutely awful
no

Quick Reply

Latest