Unsure about this MOT History? Any 'car geeks' out there?

Watch this thread
Lucarious30
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Been on the look out for a car lately, but I'm seeing a lot of MOT history with
'Test location: unavailable until further notice' which usually has no advisory's, ect. Am I right not to trust these?

An example is below, where even the MILEAGE seems to have DECREASED in the latest MOT?

Date tested
2 February 2018
PASS
Mileage
72,730 miles
MOT test number
3709 4641 3195
Test location
unavailable until further notice
Expiry date
1 February 2019

Date tested
2 February 2018
FAIL
Mileage
117,018 miles
MOT test number
7088 0308 1403
Test location
Reason(s) for failure
Nearside Front position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.3b)
Nearside Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.C.1d)
Offside Stop lamp not working (1.2.1b)
Advisory notice item(s)
Oil leak ()
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
i would steer clear

it is worth waiting a bit longer to find something less dodgy.
Lucarious30
Rep:
(Original post by the bear)
i would steer clear

it is worth waiting a bit longer to find something less dodgy.
Awesome, cheers mate!
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lucarious30)
Been on the look out for a car lately, but I'm seeing a lot of MOT history with
'Test location: unavailable until further notice' which usually has no advisory's, ect. Am I right not to trust these?

An example is below, where even the MILEAGE seems to have DECREASED in the latest MOT?

Date tested
2 February 2018
PASS
Mileage
72,730 miles
MOT test number
3709 4641 3195
Test location
Expiry date
1 February 2019

Date tested
2 February 2018
FAIL
Mileage
117,018 miles
MOT test number
7088 0308 1403
Test location
Reason(s) for failure
Nearside Front position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.3b)
Nearside Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.C.1d)
Offside Stop lamp not working (1.2.1b)
Advisory notice item(s)
Oil leak ()
Tbf, I know that a couple of MOT garages around my area stick any random number in for the mileage, which is somewhat close to actual mileage... But that seems too specific and large of a difference to be a random number.

How many MOT's has the car had?
Lucarious30
Rep:
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
Tbf, I know that a couple of MOT garages around my area stick any random number in for the mileage, which is somewhat close to actual mileage... But that seems too specific and large of a difference to be a random number.

How many MOT's has the car had?
it's had 16.

Though even if I don't get this one, Would you trust an MOT history with no test location and blank advisory's , ect?
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lucarious30)
it's had 16.

Though even if I don't get this one, Would you trust an MOT history with no test location and blank advisory's , ect?
It's very normal for the MOT database to show no test location, test any other car and should say the same. As for the blank advisories, could just mean the car was serviced before having the MOT or was very well looked after.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
None of my old cars MOTs ever gave the location, it just doesn't seem to be part of the system that's used *shrug*

The other stuff would make me think twice though. how do you mistake 45k odd miles?
nulli tertius
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
The other stuff would make me think twice though. how do you mistake 45k odd miles?
The reasons for failure look a bit odd as well. Who takes a car to be MOT'd with three lights out? You might as well make a £50 gift to the garage.
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
The reasons for failure look a bit odd as well. Who takes a car to be MOT'd with three lights out? You might as well make a £50 gift to the garage.
The lights weren't obvious lights tbf, although I make it a routine to check all my lights every other day. (Although it should tell me on my dashboard)
nulli tertius
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
The lights weren't obvious lights tbf, although I make it a routine to check all my lights every other day. (Although it should tell me on my dashboard)
I will grant you the number plate light, but a side light and a brake light?
Lucarious30
Rep:
(Original post by StriderHort)
None of my old cars MOTs ever gave the location, it just doesn't seem to be part of the system that's used *shrug*

That's reassured me regarding the MOT location, but it's still the main thing which raises my eyebrows, such another MOT history below. I guess I'm just too second-guessing to believe the owner cleared all previous advisories.

Thoughts?

Date tested 14 September 2017
Pass
Mileage 55,021 miles
MOT test number 8813 4245 4735
Test location unavailable until further notice
Expiry date 13 September 2018
Advisory notice item(s)

Rear Suspension arm ball joint dust cover deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt both (2.4.G.2)

Date tested 9 August 2016
Pass
Mileage 48,641 miles
MOT test number 3178 1644 6831
Test location unavailable until further notice
Expiry date 18 August 2017
Advisory notice item(s)

Nearside Rear Direction indicator slightly discoloured (1.4.A.2f)
Offside Rear Direction indicator slightly discoloured (1.4.A.2f)
Nearside Side repeater slightly discoloured (1.4.A.2f)
Nearside Rear Sub-frame rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement axle (2.4.G.2)
Offside Rear Sub-frame rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement axle (2.4.G.2)
n/s/r + o/s/r tyre walls worn
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Doesn't sound too bad, reads like relatively minor and consumable sounding things like light covers, dust covers and rubber bits (I'm certainly no expert in MOT or car repair BTW) . I suppose it would things like corrosion, engine and transmission issues i'd be looking for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
27.27%
As I expected (23)
29.87%
Harder (29)
37.66%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.19%

Watched Threads