Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So im currently in year 11 and STILL don't know all the a-levels im going to choose. I know im doing Geography and thats all! I have been considering Biology or Economics but since my paper 1 gcse bio exam did not go great i dont think i can do biology.

Anyone know good A-Levels which work well with Geography?

Ones I will never do are Maths, Physics and Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Pick what you're good at/enjoy
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrelaiBoy)
    Pick what you're good at/enjoy
    This

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trelaiboy)
    pick what you're good at/enjoy
    im not good at anythinggg

ReputationRep:
    Maths, physics and chemistry go well wi- ...never mind.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ajfish123)
    Pick what you're best at and enjoy the most, then.
    Depending on your reasoning for not wanting to do maths, phys and chem, you may not want to do biology either.

ReputationRep:
    then go on the dole.

Choose what interests you (i definitely cannot help you there because i study maths, chem and physics) from first glance and then take a read of the course content. There will be something which you will enjoy, Also consider what you might want to do after college, whether it be a job, apprenticeship, university et cetra.

ReputationRep:
    pick what interests you/ you enjoy then. Want to do Biology? Do Biology. It shouldn't be based upon how well you think you did on paper 1. Besides, there's still paper 2.

ReputationRep:
    Well, what do you want to do in the future? Or look into whats involved in the course that might suit you - such as if it is all coursework or 2-4 exams/ a few pieces of coursework. I understand that for psychology there was a lot of theory and cases - which you might not find interesting; where as in Law, there will be interesting cases and in the exams it's pretty straight forward once you know the structure and are able to identify the issues, but you may find that there is a lot of information. If you still don't know what you want to do/ like, pick general stuff like: ICT, Law, Maths...

ReputationRep:
    does your college/school offer environmental science? Another possibility is doing other written based subjects such as English or history
    go with what you'll happy to put effort into doing next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aranos)
    Maths, physics and chemistry go well wi- ...never mind.
    haha, all those subjects are hellish to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sinnoh)
    Pick what you're best at and enjoy the most, then.
    Depending on your reasoning for not wanting to do maths, phys and chem, you may not want to do biology either.
    true i think it just depends what i get for gcse results then see. The annoying thing is at my sixth form u have to pick 4 a levels instead of 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    then go on the dole.

Choose what interests you (i definitely cannot help you there because i study maths, chem and physics) from first glance and then take a read of the course content. There will be something which you will enjoy, Also consider what you might want to do after college, whether it be a job, apprenticeship, university et cetra.
    lol how do u cope with those hellish subjects. and thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashestostardust)
    pick what interests you/ you enjoy then. Want to do Biology? Do Biology. It shouldn't be based upon how well you think you did on paper 1. Besides, there's still paper 2.
    true, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    true, thank you!
    No problem x

ReputationRep:
    lol how do u cope with those hellish subjects. and thanks
    physics and maths are fine. Chemistry is not.

maths and physics are relatively easy because they're mostly intuitive (albeit sometimes your intuition is not always correct in physics....)

chemistry is just a contest to see who can remember the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudentOfLaw17)
    Well, what do you want to do in the future? Or look into whats involved in the course that might suit you - such as if it is all coursework or 2-4 exams/ a few pieces of coursework. I understand that for psychology there was a lot of theory and cases - which you might not find interesting; where as in Law, there will be interesting cases and in the exams it's pretty straight forward once you know the structure and are able to identify the issues, but you may find that there is a lot of information. If you still don't know what you want to do/ like, pick general stuff like: ICT, Law, Maths...
    i would love to pick law...if only my sixth did it! i was thinking of doing an ecology degree which involves geog and bio but i still really do not know what career i wanna do. Thanks for the help.

ReputationRep:
    Economics works well with the human units of geography (the compulsory 'changing spaces' module alone involves inequality, structural economic change, globalisation, development and more). There's also a trade module (which my school chose not to do ) in which I'd imagine you'd have the upper hand over most non-econ students.

Economics is a tough subject, however. At first I think it's a real challenge to get your head around some of the concepts, but if you stick with it you'll find it will all fall into place and can actually be really interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology?
    Computer science?
    Biology?
    Gov and pol?
    Whatever the religion / philosophy courses are called?

ReputationRep:
    Choose what you want! I've outlined a few options in case it helps your thinking...

Economics sounds like a strong choice.
    Sciences like psychology and biology are probably not what you want since you don't like any other science (but maybe you really like biology due to its similarities with physical geography - in which case, go for it!) and if you don't like maths or physics, you'll hate computer science.
    Politics often works well with economics and human geography.
    Philosophy or religious studies might be a good choice.
    Have you considered languages (french, german, spanish etc.)?
    Other options which many people like are History (but that's quite a lot of work) and English Literature (if you like reading and essays).
    I don't know whether you're offered these but: Classical Civilisation might interest you, as might Sociology, Law and English Language.

I can't really think of many more options, but those are the ones I'd consider if I were in your situation.

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.