Anybody a current Goldsmiths student residing in halls?

Watch
username4003948
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Are you a student at Goldsmiths and currently residing in halls?

If so, could you please answer one question for me:
Is there any outside space around your building (perhaps a bicycle shed or bin area) which is fenced off from the street and only accessible by those with a key/code (i.e. students and staff of the accommodation service)?

The reason I ask is I've accepted an unconditional offer to study at Goldsmiths in September. I'll be a 28 year old mature student and currently - where I live on the Kentish south coast - have a motorbike. I'm not keen on the idea of selling it or leaving it somewhere down here but I'm also very aware that bikes get stolen very quickly and frequently in London. I'm trying to ascertain whether any of the halls have somewhere where I can securely park my bike when I'm not using it.

Thanks in advance,
Ed.
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
Goldsmiths, University of London
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Ed,

There are motorbike parking spaces for students and staff behind the Whitehead Building.

(Original post by insouciancedward)
Are you a student at Goldsmiths and currently residing in halls?

If so, could you please answer one question for me:
Is there any outside space around your building (perhaps a bicycle shed or bin area) which is fenced off from the street and only accessible by those with a key/code (i.e. students and staff of the accommodation service)?

The reason I ask is I've accepted an unconditional offer to study at Goldsmiths in September. I'll be a 28 year old mature student and currently - where I live on the Kentish south coast - have a motorbike. I'm not keen on the idea of selling it or leaving it somewhere down here but I'm also very aware that bikes get stolen very quickly and frequently in London. I'm trying to ascertain whether any of the halls have somewhere where I can securely park my bike when I'm not using it.

Thanks in advance,
Ed.
username4003948
Rep:
?
(Original post by Goldsmiths, University of London)
Hi Ed,

There are motorbike parking spaces for students and staff behind the Whitehead Building.
Thanks for the response. When I attended the open day on Saturday, I noticed there were a couple of motorcycles parked within the campus/'village' area. Some of those spaces behind Whitehead Building are under a covered awning kind of area, which would be quite ideal.

Do you know whether the campus is gated off from vehicle access at night (i.e. would somebody be able to drive a van onto campus and sling my bike in the back of it)? I saw there's a gate from Laurie Grove, behind the Whitehead Building, but what about other routes in?

Does the campus have a 24 hour security presence or monitored CCTV? I noticed there are a couple of pedestrian access points where some kids with an angle grinder could potentially walk a motorcycle off campus.

Lots of very specific questions, I know. I'm trying to establish whether I could securely leave my motorbike on campus overnight, or whether to pay for a storage lock-up somewhere, or just sell it before attending Goldsmiths (which is the least preferable option).
TheAlchemistress
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks for the response. When I attended the open day on Saturday, I noticed there were a couple of motorcycles parked within the campus/'village' area. Some of those spaces behind Whitehead Building are under a covered awning kind of area, which would be quite ideal.

Do you know whether the campus is gated off from vehicle access at night (i.e. would somebody be able to drive a van onto campus and sling my bike in the back of it)? I saw there's a gate from Laurie Grove, behind the Whitehead Building, but what about other routes in?

Does the campus have a 24 hour security presence or monitored CCTV? I noticed there are a couple of pedestrian access points where some kids with an angle grinder could potentially walk a motorcycle off campus.

Lots of very specific questions, I know. I'm trying to establish whether I could securely leave my motorbike on campus overnight, or whether to pay for a storage lock-up somewhere, or just sell it before attending Goldsmiths (which is the least preferable option).
I went to the open day yesterday too. 🙌
username4003948
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheAlchemistress)
I went to the open day yesterday too. 🙌
What are you hoping to study and what did you think of Goldsmiths? Also have you ever read The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho, since you are an Alchemistress?
TheAlchemistress
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What are you hoping to study and what did you think of Goldsmiths? Also have you ever read The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho, since you are an Alchemistress?
It was good, I wasn’t to keen on the English Literature course, not sure. But the Psychology course was good. Sad, I can’t do both together.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (49)
31.41%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.18%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.15%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.97%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
26.28%

Watched Threads