Kayleighjackson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey,
As I am approaching the end of my A-levels and will have some more time on my hands, I want to read more classics. I just wondered which are your favourites and which would you recommend?

Thank you
samanthaemiliee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Anna karenina all the way
WildeRuth
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The Picture of Dorian Gray!!
HertsExRep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I absolutely love Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, anything by Jane Austen, Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities!
esralled
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace, if you have a spare 6 months.

Also James Joyce's Ulysses, if you like books that you can't actually read.

Kidding aside, these two are fantastic.
Forester98
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
One of my favourites is the scarlet pimpernel by baroness Orczy. I would recommend a read or a watch
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
  • Anything and everything by Hardy - I'd say Tess of the d'Urbervilles is his best, but I have a real soft spot for Return of the Native and The Woodlanders
  • Dickens - a Tale of Two Cities is my favourite, but also loved Bleak House, A Christmas Carol and Hard Times
  • Brontës - I'd avoid anything by Charlotte except Jane Eyre, Emily's Wuthering Heights is beautiful, and don't overlook Anne! (Everyone overlooks Anne)
  • Austen - I love them all except Northanger Abbey - just think it's much weaker than the others
  • Eliot - Middlemarch is pretty great; less keen on Silas Marner
  • Alcott (Little Women)
  • Tolstoy (War and Peace, Anna Karenina)
  • Dostoevsky (Crime and Punishment, The Idiot)

If you want some slightly more modern (i.e. 20th century) classics, try Evelyn Waugh (Brideshead Revisited, Decline and Fall, A Handful of Dust), Sylvia Plath (The Bell Jar), Nabokov (Lolita, Pale Fire), Huxley (Brave New World), F. Scott Fitzgerald (The Great Gatsby), Harper Lee (To Kill a Mockingbird), Arundhati Roy (The God of Small Things), Dodie Smith (I Capture the Castle), Camus (L'Étranger, La Peste), Carson McCullers (Clock Without Hands, The Member of the Wedding, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter), Steinbeck (East of Eden, The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men). Hope that helps.
HertsExRep
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oo those are some excellent suggestions *pitseleh*!

I didn't think about modern classics--I'd add that I love Dorothy Parker's short stories, Ted Hughes' poetry, and I can't help but have a soft spot for Hemingway's work (The Sun Also Rises, most notably).
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kayleighjackson)
Hey,
As I am approaching the end of my A-levels and will have some more time on my hands, I want to read more classics. I just wondered which are your favourites and which would you recommend?

Thank you
I really like great expectations by Dickens,War and Peace by Tolstoy and Pride and prejudice by Austen.
username3955940
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Revolutionary Road, The Great Gatsby, A Clockwork Orange (this one is pretty explicit), Great Expectations, Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, Picture of Dorian Gray, Handmaid’s Tale, 1984
daizu
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Anne of Green Gables, 1984, Animal Farm
username4129026
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lord of the Flies - although some of the descriptive passages at the start are a bit OTT but the rest is AWESOME!
Thomazo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
War and Peace. If you think you can handle it.
Sahyun
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Try Highschool DxD novel by Ichiei Ishibumi. It talks about the social implications of delusional state of being, a classic from the time of healing in Japanese society. The ideologies presented were comfort for the ultimate strife of many young men in the search for meaning. It is really complex in its writing style, something which you do not see in mainstream authors nowadays.

It truly is a misrepresent piece of work, it's like all the answers are there right in front of you and yet you find yourself being dragged away from it, Ichiei Ishibumi purposely does this so that we never reach a conclusion to the story.

It's a 8/8 from me.
Michiyo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky and The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde all the way! :yep:
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey,

Thank you
There are so many classics I have read through both in German and English language, but those ones are my favorites:

The Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann
Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier
Around the World in eighty Days by Jule Verne
The picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
The great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The good earth by Pearl S. Buck
Stoner by John Williams

What a genre do you like most of all? it is easier to give recommendations, if I know your taste.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Thomazo)
War and Peace. If you think you can handle it.
You are talking about one of Tolstoi's famous and well known novel, aren't you?
Thomazo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
You are talking about one of Tolstoi's famous and well known novel, aren't you?
Yes
username4094562
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey,

Thank you
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy
Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada
All Quiet on The Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Dracula by Bram Stoker
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
The Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allan Poe
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Well of Loneliness by Radcliffe Hall
A Passage to India, Howard’s End, and Maurice by E.M Forster
Another Country by James Baldwin
1984 by George Orwell
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep- By Philip K. ****
Dune- by Frank Herbert
Arda27
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Martin Eden by Jack London or Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway.
If you liked the film or the book of Fight Club, these kinda books are created Fight Club.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
4.24%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (19)
16.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (21)
17.8%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (15)
12.71%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (36)
30.51%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (22)
18.64%

Watched Threads