The Student Room Group

Any advice for having a Chinese boyfriend?

I have a boyfriend and hes Chinese, and i was just wondering about any cultural things that i might need to know about while dating him like; eating at restaurants, paying for stuff, inviting him for tea, shopping, hanging out with friends, birthdays. Any anecdotes or advice would be really appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I have a boyfriend and hes Chinese, and i was just wondering about any cultural things that i might need to know about while dating him like; eating at restaurants, paying for stuff, inviting him for tea, shopping, hanging out with friends, birthdays. Any anecdotes or advice would be really appreciated!

You'll get a lot of stares from other Asians, and some even gossiping behind your back (it's more worse for me since I am black, and many tend to look down on me). If you see someone doing this just stare back at them and scare them off lol.

You should just act normal and treat him the same way you'd treat someone from your same culture.
Original post by bullyhunter73
get him rice

you’re so basic.
Original post by bullyhunter73
you're so gay.

Patter
With guys I don't think there's too much to consider.

With the women it's more noticeable, as they have certain cultural expectations on how their partners should act. There's even one famous saying about how the man shouldn't even need to ask what's wrong..... if they need to ask they don't know their partner well enough and they should be more committed.... aka mind reading! :colonhash: I know there's a joke similar to that in western culture regarding women and men having to be mind readers, but this is actually in their base philosophy among some other weird an wonderful quirks.

Original post by kkboyk
You'll get a lot of stares from other Asians, and some even gossiping behind your back (it's more worse for me since I am black, and many tend to look down on me). If you see someone doing this just stare back at them and scare them off lol.

You should just act normal and treat him the same way you'd treat someone from your same culture.

Sorry to say it, that's probably the case, there's quite a noticeable amount of discrimination against black people in Asian cultures, especially Chinese. With white people they kind of have this weird desirable status.

That being said Asians are quite upfront about being racist, hell my ex girlfriend who was Cantonese Chinese, hated what she called "Chinese" people and if I ever called her Chinese I would get an earful!
Reply 5
Original post by Volibear
You're dating your boyfriend, not his culture. Ask him all this.

This is not helpful
prepare to be disappointed in s3x cause he most likely has a small pen1s
Reply 7
I also date a Chinese guy, and personally I think you'll get used to the culture. To me it wasn't much of a shock, as his family has always been very nice to me, and you shouldn't worry, as others have said, if anything bothers you just ask him ^^
my ex was chinese and him and his whole family were a bit bonkers tbh. they'd ignore me the whole time and talk amongst themselves in chinese and then afterwards my bf would always yell at me and say im being rude by not talking to them?? like literally how can i interject or join in with your convo when idk wtf you're saying... as for advice idk bc i didnt stay with him for long looooooool
Original post by Anonymous
prepare to be disappointed in s3x cause he most likely has a small pen1s

i can vouch for this looooooool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending