The Student Room Group

Should I do Biology a level?

I really enjoy gcse Biology, currently sitting my GCSEs and do higher double, aqa. Everyone I know who does biology a level complains about how much work it is. I’m really prepared to put in the work for biology as I want to pursue a career in a hospital. Will I be okay doing Biology a level after only doing double science?? I’m also choosing psychology and health &social care alongside Biology.

Scroll to see replies

What type of hospital work?
If you plan on doing a degree maybe look as to what the course requirements are? That may help you decide.
What would you take instead of biology?
Reply 2
Original post by AzureCeleste
What type of hospital work?
If you plan on doing a degree maybe look as to what the course requirements are? That may help you decide.
What would you take instead of biology?

I really enjoy biology so I feel like it’s a good option. Nursing, immunology, physiology. For immunology and physiology, if I get an A in psychology it cancels out the need of chemistry a level. I’m not sure particularly yet but I know I want to work in paediatrics.
Most people in my school who do a-level biology including me done triple science but there are still probably some people who only done double science and do it.The content is quite interesting but a-level biology is very content heavy,the mark scheme is very specific with wording and picky-but if you practice it will be okay,just learn what the examiner wants.If you enjoy biology I think you should give it a go.When you enjoy a subject it's much easier to put the work in.
Hi! I am also currently doing my GCSE's and I think I'm doing the same qualification as you (we call it Combined Science haha). I think you'll be fine as the combined course and the separate science courses have quite similar content. Hope this makes sense. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
Most people in my school who do a-level biology including me done triple science but there are still probable some people who only done double science and do it.The content is quite interesting but a-level biology is very content heavy,the mark scheme is very specific with wording and picky-but if you practice it will be okay,just learn what the examiner wants.If you enjoy biology I think you should give it a go.When you enjoy a subject it's much easier to put the work in.

Yeah quite a few people did double science who are doing A level. Is it enjoyable even though its hard?
Reply 6
Original post by Beth286
I really enjoy gcse Biology, currently sitting my GCSEs and do higher double, aqa. Everyone I know who does biology a level complains about how much work it is. I’m really prepared to put in the work for biology as I want to pursue a career in a hospital. Will I be okay doing Biology a level after only doing double science?? I’m also choosing psychology and health &social care alongside Biology.

i have my second biology exam tomorrow (real a2 level)
i would say nononono to your question
biology was the worst mistake of my life
i can count on a single hand how many times ive gone out this year, ive sacrificed so much because i "had to revise bio" 24/7
compared to chemistry which is also said to be a hard a level ive revised bio 100000000000 times mora and the grade is not representative of this
i also really enjoyed gcse bio and got a good grade but it is just not the same
sorry if this seems harsh but to me everyone would just say yeah its a lot of hard work i wouldnt choose it again but if you feel passionate about it do it and so i did and now regret it loads
Original post by Beth286
Yeah quite a few people did double science who are doing A level. Is it enjoyable even though its hard?

Most of the time I enjoy it,except the times when we do topics that are boring e.g plants.Some topics take some time to understand but once you sit there and work on it slowly it eventually makes sense.
Original post by Beth286
I really enjoy biology so I feel like it’s a good option. Nursing, immunology, physiology. For immunology and physiology, if I get an A in psychology it cancels out the need of chemistry a level. I’m not sure particularly yet but I know I want to work in paediatrics.

I've just looked at two unis for nursing:
-one requires Biology and two other subjects
-the other requires two from Maths, chemistry, physics and biology
I've not looked at immunology or physiology. Personally I think I'd recommend doing biology, particularly if you enjoy it. If you enjoy a subject you are more likely going to put in the time and effort to study it
As someone who took paper 1 on thursday for A-Level biology i would say definitely no to your question
The amount of actual biology content on it must have been about 10%, the rest was maths and 'suggest' questions which require to use your apparent amazing knowledge of being a beekeeper and a vet to answer questions.

It was a disaster and i will say to everyone who wants to go into biology at A-level not to bother because it's a **** choice.
Original post by Volibear
Except for if you enjoy it or plan to apply to a course which requires it. It's a content heavy A-level but considering how A-levels (at least in my day) were about memorising and regurgitating, if you have a good enough memory or learning strategy, it is very doable.

However it isn't because the spec wasn't even followed on the paper which is the problem
Good. Hopefully a sign that things are moving away from the old (and terrible) system.

You're only saying this now because you have already sat your A-levels with the old system so had the upper advantage of just begin able to regurgitate your knowledge onto a page, However if you sat hat biology paper that i did on Thursday you would be complaining as the rest of us are
Original post by Beth286

No!
Original post by Beth286

Im different. I say yes because even though there's so much content, if you believe you'll do well and actually DO revise and not procrastinate it can be fun. Only thing I hate was pags as I thought a level has no more coursework but it was baisically coursework in disguise
Reply 14
Original post by Beth286

Everyone likes GCSE Biology and they end up choosing A-Level. A lot of people end up regretting choosing it because it’s really long and it gets a lot harder at A2. If you don’t revise at A-Level, you won’t pass especially Biology since it’s a lot harder.
Original post by Beth286

I'm in Year 12 and do Biology, Psychology and English Lit. If you have a passion for the subject and are willing to put (a lot) of work in, then definitely choose it. I'm revising Biology right now and I can tell you it's very very content heavy but rewarding when you understand/remember the concepts.
I do psychology and I think it's a good idea to mix them both as they interchange each other a lot (e.g. the Biopsychology unit in Psychology) so doing both helps you get a wider understanding.
My best friend is doing your combination (Bio, Psych and Health) and handles it pretty well, especially since Health is coursework heavy so it means she only has to revise Biology and Psychology for her exams at the moment.
Original post by Beth286

AVOID AT ALL COSTS I got an A* in Biology at GCSE (triple science) worst mistake of my life predicted A* in PE A* in Psychology at A-Level and never got above a C at A-Level its really really difficult has been the worst mistake of my life. My grade has been the bane of my life could potentially miss out on my uni's because of it.
Except for if you enjoy it or plan to apply to a course which requires it. It's a content heavy A-level but considering how A-levels (at least in my day) are about memorising and regurgitating, if you have a good enough memory or learning strategy, it is very doable.

It's 100% doable if you only study for that A-Level and have no life and never sleep. Psychology is a very content heavy a-level also so requires a lot of revision. I love biology content but the way they write the exams is so that you fail. It is NOT about remembering and regurgitating anymore my other A-Levels are that and I get A*'s its about application and topic cross linking and it is tough....
Original post by amyneavepurser
It's 100% doable if you only study for that A-Level and have no life and never sleep. Psychology is a very content heavy a-level also so requires a lot of revision. I love biology content but the way they write the exams is so that you fail. It is NOT about remembering and regurgitating anymore my other A-Levels are that and I get A*'s its about application and topic cross linking and it is tough....

Not going to lie, I swear there's this misconception the "ologies" aren't respectable.

I mean, they're obviously not on the same level as maths but oh my god there's so much content, like GOOD LUCK!!
Reply 19
What exactly do you want to do 'in a hospital'?

Be a nurse or a immunologist

Quick Reply

Latest