Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I couldn't find a discussion on A Level music for Edexcel this year so thought I'd start one!! Anyone got any predictions or thoughts about the exam on the 18th?
    My problem is wider listening at the moment as there's so much content!!

ReputationRep:
    wider listening is honestly giving me so much anxiety....i think i'll just compare the pieces to pieces from the anthology tbh!

as for predictions, i have no idea whatsoever edexcel will throw at us, but seeing as they are the worst, i wouldn't be surprised if they give us a paper riddled with finding the harmony at some obscure point in a piece :/

ReputationRep:
    The wider listening I can remember is literally just the other set works and the stuff we studied at GCSE! Have you seen the wider listening mindmaps on the edexcel website? They're quite useful

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thanks, I've been looking at the wider listening mind maps but there's just so many to remember on top of what we need to know for the actual set works!! And yeah me too, I'm mainly referencing the other set works, as well as the GCSE ones and some other random pieces if they come to me whilst I'm writing the essay haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youknowitsowen)
    Yeah thanks, I've been looking at the wider listening mind maps but there's just so many to remember on top of what we need to know for the actual set works!! And yeah me too, I'm mainly referencing the other set works, as well as the GCSE ones and some other random pieces if they come to me whilst I'm writing the essay haha
    I'll be fine if a Baroque piece comes up or we get a question 6 about the Vivaldi piece because I've played so much Vivaldi and Telemann stuff etc. on the violin but for our mock for question 5 essay we got a ballet from the far east or something, like how do they expect us to just know multiple wider listenings from a genre as specific as that!?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, like you I can do wider listening from a general genre but that's so specific!! But I doubt the question 5 will be Baroque because it came up on this year's AS exam for question 5 - let's hope for a classical Mozart or Beethoven piece but knowing Edexcel it's bound to be something obscure 😭
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsteward)
    wider listening is honestly giving me so much anxiety....i think i'll just compare the pieces to pieces from the anthology tbh!

as for predictions, i have no idea whatsoever edexcel will throw at us, but seeing as they are the worst, i wouldn't be surprised if they give us a paper riddled with finding the harmony at some obscure point in a piece :/
    omg yeah girl music a level is a shambles (and so is misogyny) screw this wider listening crap ! it’s all about the shtravinshky baby😏

ReputationRep:
    Surely cause the A2 course has an extra set work per area of study than the AS one, the A2 only pieces are more likely to come up? So that's, Vaughan Williams, Berlioz, Psycho, The Beatles, Anoushka Shankar and Stravinsky. (and if you think about it, thats 6 set works... 3 listening questions... 3 essay questions to choose from... are Edexcel stupid enough to do that? probably... it would be nice)As for wider listening, model answers that they've given us don't actually use that much, so don't worry about not having enough. Plus, you can use the same one twice. Having 2 areas of wider listening per piece should be fine, and if they're ones from the anthology the examiner can't argue with you The listening questions are whats stressing me out the most. Could easily give a technically correct answer to most of the stuff they ask, but whether or not its on the mark scheme is a different question. This years A Level music is just a test of mind reading and memory. Two qualities that I unfortunately do not have.Help meee

ReputationRep:
    It turns out that the only A2 pieces that weren't on the A2 Sample Assessment were Psycho and Anoushka so I'm hoping they'll come up for question 6, but looking at what came up on the AS is a good indication as to what won't be on the A2 paper (I'd like to think they wouldn't put the same set works on both AS and A2 paper......😂)
    Here's my list of the questions that have already come up - the ones in bold have been Question 6s already and the others have just been listening........

Name:  image-855cd33c-8ee6-4348-ba02-835b786ec22a5613981002813791968-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 22
Size:  44.8 KB

I agree with that though, the mark schemes are tough and don't give much leeway when it comes to the wording of answers
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It turns out that the only A2 pieces that weren't on the A2 Sample Assessment were Psycho and Anoushka so I'm hoping they'll come up for question 6, but looking at what came up on the AS is a good indication as to what won't be on the A2 paper (I'd like to think they wouldn't put the same set works on both AS and A2 paper......😂)
    Here's my list of the questions that have already come up - the ones in bold have been Question 6s already and the others have just been listening........

Name:  image-855cd33c-8ee6-4348-ba02-835b786ec22a5613981002813791968-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 22
Size:  44.8 KB

I agree with that though, the mark schemes are tough and don't give much leeway when it comes to the wording of answers
    I hope Pyscho is one of the essays !

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I couldn't find a discussion on A Level music for Edexcel this year so thought I'd start one!! Anyone got any predictions or thoughts about the exam on the 18th?
    My problem is wider listening at the moment as there's so much content!!
    There is so much content for the whole course in general - I am the only person doing it at my school and I feel so out of my depth! Nice to know other people do too though so maybe they could have low grade boundaries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilythomas184)
    There is so much content for the whole course in general - I am the only person doing it at my school and I feel so out of my depth! Nice to know other people do too though so maybe they could have low grade boundaries?
    It's the first year of the course and grade boundaries are always lower for that, so yes hopefully! Also, the original materials the exam board released for teachers were unreliable and half of them were wrong, and they contradict the revision guides, which contradicts the anthology, which contradicts the website and so on, so they have to give us some leeway for our answers since they've given us the wrong ones in the first place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oceance19)
    It's the first year of the course and grade boundaries are always lower for that, so yes hopefully! Also, the original materials the exam board released for teachers were unreliable and half of them were wrong, and they contradict the revision guides, which contradicts the anthology, which contradicts the website and so on, so they have to give us some leeway for our answers since they've given us the wrong ones in the first place!
    Exactly and the Bach Chorale was also horrible in my opinion - I wish there was some guidance as to what would be an A in the paper!

ReputationRep:
    Exactly and the Bach Chorale was also horrible in my opinion - I wish there was some guidance as to what would be an A in the paper!
    I know, I did the Remix task instead because I just couldn't grasp the chorales and I do music technology too, but my friend did it and she said it was so much harder than anything she'd been practicing with and so different to the model answers they released. I'm so stressed for Monday.. Ive been revising for months and still feel like I don't know enough.

ReputationRep:
    Hey does anyone have access to the zigzag resources on vocal music, film music and new directions? I'm not really keen to pay £80-£90 for each booklet so if anyones school had access it would be so cool if they could share it.

ReputationRep:
    I know, I did the Remix task instead because I just couldn't grasp the chorales and I do music technology too, but my friend did it and she said it was so much harder than anything she'd been practicing with and so different to the model answers they released. I'm so stressed for Monday.. Ive been revising for months and still feel like I don't know enough.
    Honestly couldn't agree more I have probably revised the hardest for music and yet still can't remember anything after having done it - maybe it's just the nature of the subject but it is honestly soo frustrating

ReputationRep:
    Honestly couldn't agree more I have probably revised the hardest for music and yet still can't remember anything after having done it - maybe it's just the nature of the subject but it is honestly soo frustrating
    I know exactly what you mean, I feel like it's not going in anymore. My brain is just too full but I still feel like I don't know anything

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly what you mean, I feel like it's not going in anymore. My brain is just too full but I still feel like I don't know anything
    I’ve found flash cards using edexceld notes the best way to revise

ReputationRep:
    revision is making suicidal, going hard on psycho, wenlock and anoushka

ReputationRep:
    I’m so screwed, I feel like I just need model essays to memorise, but I don’t have any

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 20, 2018

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.