The Student Room Group

Any advice for an issue in my relationship?

When my boyfriend & I go out like to the cinema or for a meal, it’s mostly me whose paid for the things we do and he rarely does unless I ask him to pay. I’ve always thought it should be 50/50 in a relationship like one pays for it one time & the other person the next or spilt it equally.

I have two jobs & he earns nearly 4x the amount I do from the one job he does, he knows I have money issues too. I’ve told him how I feel about it and he’ll just say he promises to get it next time but then he never does! Not only that, when I ask him to get it this time he’ll make it quite obvious that he doesn’t want to pay it or that it does bother him. Then I get annoyed because it’s only £10 or something cheap, but he won’t hesitate to spend £80 on one top that he already has.

So, in your opinion who do you think should pay for things in relationships in general?
Also, do you have any advice that could help with this situation? Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It should be 50/50. If you haven’t then talk to him about it seriously and try and understand why he’s so stingy with his money. But if he’s still moving stingy then when you go for meals and stuff only pay for yourself.
next time you do something only pay for your half of the meal / your cinema ticket. hell have no choice but to at least pay for himself then.

Either that or say you cant go out with him because you cant afford. If he really wants to take you out then he would offer. If he doesnt - he isnt worth it
Reply 3
I can understand that some of it goes towards his parents and into a savings account, but I know he still has quite a bit left over after everything has come out that needs to. Going out like to the cinemas or for a meal isn’t every week, maybe every few months.

I’ve done that before when we’ve gone for lunch or something, I’ve only bought what I’m getting & said he can get his own.
Reply 4
Original post by xFFDPx
I can understand that some of it goes towards his parents and into a savings account, but I know he still has quite a bit left over after everything has come out that needs to. Going out like to the cinemas or for a meal isn’t every week, maybe every few months.

I’ve done that before when we’ve gone for lunch or something, I’ve only bought what I’m getting & said he can get his own.

Continue to do that then
He either needs to drastically change or you dump him. He sounds very selfish.
Reply 6
Original post by Afforestation
He either needs to drastically change or you dump him. He sounds very selfish.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who was thinking he’s being selfish
Original post by xFFDPx
I’m glad I’m not the only one who was thinking he’s being selfish

I was in basically the same situation as you and it wasnt good. I have a feeling that spending isnt the only thing hes selfish about.
Reply 8
In my opinion it doesn't have to be 50/50, if you have, pay it.
Not trying to be rude but here your guys seems little selfish...
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
This is the test I use:

Its called the scatty test
Go to the local takeaway and order a 1pc chicken and chips
Ask next man to treat you and if he doesn't then he's scatty

Can't get more scatty if he's not willing to pull out £2
Reply 10
I was in basically the same situation as you and it wasnt good. I have a feeling that spending isnt the only thing hes selfish about.

What else do you think he may be selfish about??
Original post by xFFDPx
What else do you think he may be selfish about??

If he wont pay for his own dinner then I doubt there's much he isnt selfish about. Generosity is kind of important in a relationship, but dont go overboard...
Reply 12
If he wont pay for his own dinner then I doubt there's much he isnt selfish about. Generosity is kind of important in a relationship, but dont go overboard...

I agree with you on that one
Original post by xFFDPx
I agree with you on that one

Maybe a weird question but hes probably selfish in bed too?
Yep I would suggest dumping him if talkin doesn't work cause he sounds like a stingy selfish A hole!
Damn ok usually the guy has to pay to be polite ( considering his income he shud be able to) but atleast he shud pay a 50/50..... :/
He sounds like a jerk if u ask me
Whether you think it's right or not, a man should always feel inclined to be the one to pay more nevermind try to get his girlfriend to pay for everything for him. Also the fact he's making way more money than you as well, and that he doesn't even feel guilty but instead gets angry at the thought of having to pair a fair share.

Have a serious chat with him and say you're not happy about it and it's not fair. If not then just say you aren't going to go places with him anymore and if further just leave him. Like it seems like a fairly small thing but it's the fact he's being so stubborn and petty over a basic relationship system that's just weird.
Reply 16
Maybe a weird question but hes probably selfish in bed too?

Sometimes he is, sometimes he isn’t. He’s usually the first to initiate sex however, it’s only recently that he’s started doing more oral on me whereas before I did have to ask for him to do it. When he does do it, he doesn’t do it very long although I tell him I’m close to climax he just stops & gets on with it I suppose
Reply 17
Original post by DeNotoriousOne
Yep I would suggest dumping him if talkin doesn't work cause he sounds like a stingy selfish A hole!
Damn ok usually the guy has to pay to be polite ( considering his income he shud be able to) but atleast he shud pay a 50/50..... :/
He sounds like a jerk if u ask me

I told him the other night because I suggested to him let’s go out but I asked him if he’s alright to get it because I got it last time (which I did, and the last two times before that as well). He said he’ll get it but if he does, we’ll have to wait till next month to get promise rings because he “doesn’t have enough money”. I said straight out to him that going to the cinema AND a meal will cost more than one cheap ring. Then I said to leave it because when it comes to it, it’ll be me that will suggest going out and he won’t offer so I guess we’ll just have to wait for that
Original post by xFFDPx
Sometimes he is, sometimes he isn’t. He’s usually the first to initiate sex however, it’s only recently that he’s started doing more oral on me whereas before I did have to ask for him to do it. When he does do it, he doesn’t do it very long although I tell him I’m close to climax he just stops & gets on with it I suppose

Kinda what I expected haha
Reply 19
Original post by AndrewSCO
Whether you think it's right or not, a man should always feel inclined to be the one to pay more nevermind try to get his girlfriend to pay for everything for him. Also the fact he's making way more money than you as well, and that he doesn't even feel guilty but instead gets angry at the thought of having to pair a fair share.

Have a serious chat with him and say you're not happy about it and it's not fair. If not then just say you aren't going to go places with him anymore and if further just leave him. Like it seems like a fairly small thing but it's the fact he's being so stubborn and petty over a basic relationship system that's just weird.

That’s what gets me so annoyed about it, his dad is one of those blokes that thinks like that, the man should feel inclined to pay. Before we started dating, he told me his dad said to him make sure you take her somewhere really nice and really treat her like a woman should be treated. So the fact that his dad says things like that to him, just gets me even more annoyed.

I’ve told him how it’s made me feel and that it really isn’t fair, that I shouldn’t have to feel like I need to say you need to get it. I also told him we just won’t go anywhere unless he offers to go do it because I’m sick of the one who has to plan these things.

I know, it is a really small thing. He talks about our future together and stuff but when he does, I just think I don’t know if I want a future with someone who struggles to pay for the simple things like that, how would he cope having to split household bills?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending