shi26
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i want to become a neuroscientist.Im currently doing AS in Physics,Chem and Bio now the june exams.Im hell bent on being a neuroscientist and my family is hell bent on not supporting me they claim that if i become a scientist i wont earn money and don't expect them to pay for me. My family is one of the elites in india so everyone basically commerce based except my uncle who's a doctor.My dad said i could be a doctor if i want and for a while i told people i want to be a doctor just to make my parents happy they were hoping to start a hospital business once i become a doctor. So when I told everyone i wanted to do neuroscience everyone very dissapointed.I'd like to study neuroscience in Bristol.Im currently in India.I heard you need work experience when you apply to UK universities and I don't know how to get work experience in India.Is there a sort of coaching online for the personal statement and interviews for neuroscience?All help appreciated.
Pearlfection1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can get coaching etc online. I am aware the univeristy of Manchester offers this. Try looking online at British universities and what they may offer to help you.
ibyghee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by shi26)
i want to become a neuroscientist.Im currently doing AS in Physics,Chem and Bio now the june exams.Im hell bent on being a neuroscientist and my family is hell bent on not supporting me they claim that if i become a scientist i wont earn money and don't expect them to pay for me. My family is one of the elites in india so everyone basically commerce based except my uncle who's a doctor.My dad said i could be a doctor if i want and for a while i told people i want to be a doctor just to make my parents happy they were hoping to start a hospital business once i become a doctor. So when I told everyone i wanted to do neuroscience everyone very dissapointed.I'd like to study neuroscience in Bristol.Im currently in India.I heard you need work experience when you apply to UK universities and I don't know how to get work experience in India.Is there a sort of coaching online for the personal statement and interviews for neuroscience?All help appreciated.
Follow your dreams, doctors are going to be underrated in the future, those job fields will go down. Scientists is pretty good pay not gunna lie. Not as much as a surgeon but you do get that moneh. And it seems you are well interested in it, like i am in physics. Just research it all out.
AmeliaLost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by shi26)
I'd like to study neuroscience in Bristol.Im currently in India.I heard you need work experience when you apply to UK universities and I don't know how to get work experience in India. Is there a sort of coaching online for the personal statement and interviews for neuroscience? All help appreciated.
You don't need work experience to apply for neuroscience here (or for most courses). Most important things are to do well in your exams, and read around the subject, as that will give you plenty to talk about for the majority of your statement. Good luck
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Work experience isn't required for any course; some extracurricular experiences where you're in a caring role or have some form of leadership responsibility for others is normally necessary for Medicine but not for other courses.

Most subjects won't expect you'll have any particular experience outside of your A-level subjects and and understanding of how they relate to it. Provided you do very well in your A-levels, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to successfully apply without work experience if you can show you have done wider reading on the subject and have an awareness of the context of the subject area.

Spoiler:
Show

I would note you can do a medical degree and pursue a PhD in Neuroscience (or Neurobiology; alternately potentially in Psychology or Cognitive Science) perfectly well. There isn't any specific benefit to this other than perhaps a better understanding of the biomedical sciences underpinning the area and being qualified to do clinical research directly once you get get your PhD, but it is an option if nothing else...additionally in the UK, medical students are often (it varies slightly between the course provider) given the option or required to "intercalate" a year in one of the academic degree courses (usually a biomedical science related course, such as neuroscience); a few universities have so called MBPhD programmes where if you've done very well and demonstrated you are able to undertake academic research, you can take three years to do your PhD at this point, rather than one year of another degree. After you finish the intercalated degree (whatever it is) you finish your clinical years of the medical degree and then continue on in whatever direction afterwards.

Some examples of courses that allow intercalation are Cambridge (offering intercalation options in Psychology, Neuroscience, and Behaviour, or Physiology, Neuroscience, and Development) and Bristol which allows medical students to in fact intercalate onto the final year of the 3 year Neuroscience course you are looking at there.

Obviously as medicine isn't your aim, this isn't so applicable, but if your family limits your ability to pursue a degree in the UK financially or similar "unless" you pursue medicine, at least you are aware that you can still pursue neuroscience while doing so. I wouldn't recommend pursuing that angle unless there is no other choice however, as a) it's probably better someone who intends to become a practicing physician or surgeon gets that spot, if you know from the start that's not what you want and b) competition for international students on medical degrees in the UK is very high as the government limits how many places are available for international students.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (48)
24.49%
No, but I have thought about it (55)
28.06%
No (93)
47.45%

Watched Threads