The Student Room Group

studying in russian medium sos

hi ive lived in a russian speaking enviroment for about 1 and half years now, and i know about 500 russian words, i am trying to learn 5000 words by september, and have stared to read, d o learn russian excersises books, watch tv seris in rusian, do you think that this is likely to succeed
im going to start studying medicine this september, im then hoping to work in russia
do you guys think this is possible
also does anyone have and advice or tips for me
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Russia
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lloyds17
hi ive lived in a russian speaking enviroment for about 1 and half years now, and i know about 500 russian words, i am trying to learn 5000 words by september, and have stared to read, d o learn russian excersises books, watch tv seris in rusian, do you think that this is likely to succeed
im going to start studying medicine this september, im then hoping to work in russia
do you guys think this is possible
also does anyone have and advice or tips for me

The trick is to understand words in terms of prefixes and roots. E.g. разобрать : раз - apart, брать - to take, thus making it 'to take apart'
Reply 3
@Ryanzmw So it’s possible right? 😅
Reply 4
@Ryanzmw So it’s possible right? 😅

To learn 5000 words by September? I mean honestly you might be able to recognise 5000 words but getting an active vocabulary that large will take more practise. What's your Russian level right now? Are you comfortable with Russian grammar?
Reply 5
Yes I’d get like an a star in Russian gcse
Reply 6
Yes I’d get like an a star in Russian gcse

You don't need anything near 5000 words for that. Russian GCSE uses very basic vocabulary you probably need like 500-750 words top
Reply 7
@Ryanzmw No i mean to like study in a Russian university in Russian this summer. Because I want to work in russia
Reply 8
@Ryanzmw No i mean to like study in a Russian university in Russian this summer. Because I want to work in russia

Oh right I can't read. Yeah just keep learning words and read/watch native materials
You are probably very unlikely to be able to study medicine in Russian. Not only is the language itself very complex, but there will be a lot of medical vocabulary you will have to learn, which is hard even for native Russian speakers. Have you considered studying medicine in English as a Russian university? This is the more conventional route, and you would still be able to work there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending