Media/ film studies a-level????

Watch this thread
noorh
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Does anyone do media or film studies a-level? My school doesn’t even do film studies but I’m so interested in it. I want to be an actor btw. Media studies my school does do so I’d love to hear people’s experience of it at a-level, also i didn’t do it at gcse so is that a major set back or not really? My definite choices atm are drama and sociology, I’m also considering English but I know about that already.

Thanks
elmatron3000
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
hiya, I recently sat my media studies a level. I'd say you don't need to do it for GCSE in order to be good at it- you just need to include key terms and theories in your essays and you will be good to go! I'm not sure what exam board your school would do it on but I did WJEC and it's quite tough due to the number of essays you have to learn with only 3 that come up. its fairly easy in relation to content as it is stuff that you come across in your daily life such as tv and adverts. my teacher was awful but the subject as a whole is great fun and you get a lot of freedom with your coursework which is great fun! I found my knowledge defo improved in the second year of studying the course. I would recommend it
noorh
Rep:
(Original post by elmatron3000)
hiya, I recently sat my media studies a level. I'd say you don't need to do it for GCSE in order to be good at it- you just need to include key terms and theories in your essays and you will be good to go! I'm not sure what exam board your school would do it on but I did WJEC and it's quite tough due to the number of essays you have to learn with only 3 that come up. its fairly easy in relation to content as it is stuff that you come across in your daily life such as tv and adverts. my teacher was awful but the subject as a whole is great fun and you get a lot of freedom with your coursework which is great fun! I found my knowledge defo improved in the second year of studying the course. I would recommend it
I think my school does WJEC too! Honestly I think it’d be a good choice for me, and for some reason I’ve kinda just ignored it until now. Thanks so much!
xEmilyxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I just finished film at A2. Honestly you aren't missing much by not taking it. It's a interesting subject and fairly easy to do well in, but I much preferred English.
noorh
Rep:
(Original post by xEmilyxx)
I just finished film at A2. Honestly you aren't missing much by not taking it. It's a interesting subject and fairly easy to do well in, but I much preferred English.
What sort of stuff do you learn? And what makes you prefer English?
xEmilyxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by noorh)
What sort of stuff do you learn? And what makes you prefer English?
The syllabus has since changed from the year below me, so what you do now will probably vary slightly.

You study macro elements of films e.g narrative, themes of films etc as well as micro, which includes editing, sound, cinematography and mise en scene and how they create ideas. So does a certain camera angle create a certain idea or feeling.

You also look at critical approaches to film. This can be feminism, auteur, Marxism. It all depends on the film you study.

You also study old films and what type of stuff they did. So if you want to solely cover Hollywood films you'll be disappointed.

I prefer English, both Lit and Lang in fact becsuse I did both, simply because you feel like you're learning something and because it's more interesting. Film Studies feels very much like it consists of applied ideas, and a lot of the types of things studied you would have already encountered in life. It kinda feels like it's only half an A Level because compared to other subjects it's simpler and easier to do well on.

But if you enjoy a easy subject then that's fine. At the end of the day, it's only the grades you get that matter to universities.
noorh
Rep:
(Original post by xEmilyxx)
The syllabus has since changed from the year below me, so what you do now will probably vary slightly.

You study macro elements of films e.g narrative, themes of films etc as well as micro, which includes editing, sound, cinematography and mise en scene and how they create ideas. So does a certain camera angle create a certain idea or feeling.

You also look at critical approaches to film. This can be feminism, auteur, Marxism. It all depends on the film you study.

You also study old films and what type of stuff they did. So if you want to solely cover Hollywood films you'll be disappointed.

I prefer English, both Lit and Lang in fact becsuse I did both, simply because you feel like you're learning something and because it's more interesting. Film Studies feels very much like it consists of applied ideas, and a lot of the types of things studied you would have already encountered in life. It kinda feels like it's only half an A Level because compared to other subjects it's simpler and easier to do well on.

But if you enjoy a easy subject then that's fine. At the end of the day, it's only the grades you get that matter to universities.
To be honest I really like sound of that. I’m open and interested to all types of film. It sounds very similar to drama too, and would seem really helpful for extra knowledge. I don’t know that I’d enjoy English that much in comparison I though I do think its very open for interpretation and your own ideas. My school doesnt do film studies so is probably have to find somewhere that does, either way it looks unlikely i’ll end up doing it unfortunately although media studies is also an option.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.02%
The paper was reasonable (138)
37.5%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.35%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.13%

Watched Threads