frageeko
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I just wanted some quick help with a question...
What is biomass? Isn't it the mass of an organism's body tissue. Then how come as you go up trophic levels the biomass decreases when it really doesn't because as you go up trophic levels the organism grow bigger? I really don't understand
PenPaper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by frageeko)
What is biomass? Isn't it the mass of an organism's body tissue. Then how come as you go up trophic levels the biomass decreases when it really doesn't because as you go up trophic levels the organism grow bigger? I really don't understand
Biomass is the dry mass, so excludes all the water, it contains all the possible energy sources. So skin, bone and flesh for example - most animals won't eat the whole organism. Also the biomass as you go up the trophic levels decreases becasue of metabolism/MRS GREN. All the process that take place eg: movment to catch prey .... This means that biomass decreases as you go up the food chain! Hope this helps!
RiemannN
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Biomass is the total mass available (food) for the next trophic level in a food chain. Biomass is lost in a food chain as organisms use energy/biomass to respire, produce faeces and to maintain a constant body temperature (heat loss).
frageeko
Rep:
?
(Original post by PenPaper)
Biomass is the dry mass, so excludes all the water, it contains all the possible energy sources. So skin, bone and flesh for example - most animals won't eat the whole organism. Also the biomass as you go up the trophic levels decreases becasue of metabolism/MRS GREN. All the process that take place eg: movment to catch prey .... This means that biomass decreases as you go up the food chain! Hope this helps!
But in my revision guide it says the biomass of an organism is the mass of its body tissue?
frageeko
Rep:
?
(Original post by RiemannN)
Biomass is the total mass available (food) for the next trophic level in a food chain.
But in my revision guide it says that an organisms biomass is its body tissues mass?
jesusjessica15
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the biomass decreases because not every part of the animal is eaten. e.g. bones aren't eaten so nergy decreases as you go up trophic levels
RiemannN
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, the energy stored in the tissue changes through specific processes in a food chain.
PenPaper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
But in my revision guide it says the biomass of an organism is the mass of its body tissue?
Yes, so its everything the organism is made out of except the water but you could also say body tissue!
zoe2002
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what is lamrack and darwins theory
frageeko
Rep:
?
What is metabolism sorry
PenPaper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What is metabolism sorry
They are basically, chemical reactions that are used to produce energy! for Movement, Respiration, Sensitivity, Reproduction, Excretion and Nutrition... >>>MRS GREN<<<. It that ok?
Sid2001
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zoe2002)
what is lamrack and darwins theory
Lamarck suggested that a change in an animals lifetime could be an inherited feature in the animals offspring, whereas Darwin suggested natural selection; the idea that when there is a change of an environment, only animals with favourable features survive, therefore passing those genes onto the next generation.

To put this into perspective: Lamarck's theory would suggest that if someone dyed a hamsters fur pink, then the babies of the hamster would be born with pink fur. Darwin's theory would suggest that by random chance, in a population of hamsters, there may a few with pink fur. If the environment changed to the point where only hamsters with pink fur could survive (stupid, but fine for the purpose of the explanation), then non-pink hamsters would die out, leaving only pink hamsters to survive, reproduce and pass on their pink fur genes to the next generation.
lydiarutharnold
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What is metabolism sorry
the sum of all the chemical reactions in the body
frageeko
Rep:
?
(Original post by penpaper)
they are basically, chemical reactions that are used to produce energy! For movement, respiration, sensitivity, reproduction, excretion and nutrition... >>>mrs gren<<<. It that ok?
thank you!!!
frageeko
Rep:
?
(Original post by lydiarutharnold)
the sum of all the chemical reactions in the body
Ok thank you
PenPaper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Np, btw how did your paper go and what about chemistry?
frageeko
Rep:
?
Np, btw how did your paper go and what about chemistry?
It went okay thank you, now its the wait
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (148)
52.11%
No (136)
47.89%

Watched Threads