i was meant to use the angry one
I don’t understand
Greywolftwo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lol.yolo)
Vitamin B12 can also be found in animal products such as milk and eggs so while vegetarians don't have much higher deficiency rates than the general population, vegans will need to take supplements. However these are readily found in health food shops and similar so as long as you are aware, not a concern.

I would strongly disagree that "It's very hard to live a healthy life without some supplements to replace meat" as such supplements can be found very easily and vegetarian/vegan alternatives eg. tofu usually contain iron, protein and other necessary nutrients found in meat. However I will admit that these dietary choices aren't particularly accessible to people outside middle and upper classes, just compare a £1.99 burger from McDonalds to proper meat free food from a supermarket or homemade meals for example.
This point also assumes that people with an omnivorous diet are healthy and eat a balanced diet. I find this a funny phenomenon, the general population don't make such open and 'concerned' comments about nutrition until someone says they are cutting meat and/or animal products out of their diet, despite research repeatedly showing vegetarians and vegans on average are much healthier, eat a more balanced diet and have lower rates of suffering from conditions such as cardiovascular disease.

As for OP, it depends on their reasons for becoming vegetarian, some simply don't like the tase of meat anyways, for others (like me) the detrimental impacts of mass consumption of meat on the environment are enough (reduce the demand, reduce the supply) and if you care strongly about animal welfare, I'm sorry but you absolutely can not continue to consume meat without being plagued by hypocrisy. It is hubris to claim humans can "control" the food chain in a sustainable manner. Sure, if everyone went vegan overnight it would be a huge problem but that will never happen and there will always be a large portion of the population who continue to consume meat. instead, the slow (which it is) movement towards vegetarianism/veganism will reduce the demand and therefore less meat will be supplied, animals wouldn't be bred and killed in as large quantities as they are but populations would not "boom then collapse".
‘Research showing Vegetarians and vegans eat a more balanced diet’ - you contradict yourself, a balanced diet contains all things from the food pyramid and all food groups whereas they don’t eat meat so it isn’t a balanced diet if they only eat things without animal products in them
Matstu77
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
Do animals have a soul? We have authority over them because they are just animals, by saying this you then bring up the point an animals life is just as valuable as a humans life
An animals life is just as valuable as a humans. What makes us more important than an animal? And to believe in souls, then starts dipping into religion etc. Do animals have souls? Who cares. Do I have a soul? No, I’m a product of science. Do we have authority over animals - absolutely not. After all, they are simply none human animals which indicates that we to are simply human animals (as well as being a bit of a disgraceful species compared to our none human friends)
lol.yolo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
‘Research showing Vegetarians and vegans eat a more balanced diet’ - you contradict yourself, a balanced diet contains all things from the food pyramid and all food groups whereas they don’t eat meat so it isn’t a balanced diet if they only eat things without animal products in them
Perhaps I didn't phrase it right. Not balanced in the 'they eat meat' sense but proportions of fruit+veg vs grains vs protein vs fats vs sugar are balanced, again you can have an omnivorous diet and it be unbalanced if the proportions of nutrients are off. A balanced diet goes beyond the simple 'food pyramid' taught in primary school, it is more about the nutrients you pick up from each and while some, like protein, is easier to find in animal products, you can still consume enough through other sources. Dairy, for example is taught to be a food group but not for the fact that it simply is dairy but for the calcium, vitamin D etc that is found in it. Dairy free milks are typically fortified with these so the alternatives (if consumed in the right ratios) are perfectly healthy for a balanced diet. Same with meat.

The food pyramid is greatly simplified to help the general population understand what types of food (and in what quantities) they can get key nutrients from (though it ain't doing a great job nowadays)
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Matstu77)
An animals life is just as valuable as a humans. What makes us more important than an animal? And to believe in souls, then starts dipping into religion etc. Do animals have souls? Who cares. Do I have a soul? No, I’m a product of science. Do we have authority over animals - absolutely not. After all, they are simply none human animals which indicates that we to are simply human animals (as well as being a bit of a disgraceful species compared to our none human friends)
An animals life is not as valuable as a humans, yes we should care for them and protect them but think of it this way, if their lives are just as valuable as humans should we then start treating them the same as humans? Make them abide to our laws? Pay taxes? Let them have jobs or a house? That is what you are implying when you say an animals life is just as valuable as ours and that they should be treated the same as humans
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Perhaps I didn't phrase it right. Not balanced in the 'they eat meat' sense but proportions of fruit+veg vs grain
Perhaps you didn’t phrase it right then
Matstu77
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Perhaps I didn't phrase it right. Not balanced in the 'they eat meat' sense but proportions of fruit+veg vs grains vs protein vs fats vs sugar are balanced, again you can have an omnivorous diet and it be unbalanced if the proportions of nutrients are off. A balanced diet goes beyond the simple 'food pyramid' taught in primary school, it is more about the nutrients you pick up from each and while some, like protein, is easier to find in animal products, you can still consume enough through other sources. Dairy, for example is taught to be a food group but not for the fact that it simply is dairy but for the calcium, vitamin D etc that is found in it. Dairy free milks are typically fortified with these so the alternatives (if consumed in the right ratios) are perfectly healthy for a balanced diet. Same with meat.

The food pyramid is greatly simplified to help the general population understand what types of food (and in what quantities) they can get key nutrients from (though it ain't doing a great job nowadays)
Well explained. I am 41, decided to go veggie when I was 5. I and other veggies/vegans (was vegan for 12 years) have never missed out on anything that omnivores eat.

Our body is not equipped to eat meat. We are the only species that get ill from meat products sitting in our intestine too long. All meat eating animals have a short intestine so meat products don’t rot in there
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Going vegan doesn't require you to value humans the same as other animals. You simply have to value their lives and well-being over the momentary well-being and convenience their nutrients bring to us. And not all humans are expected/entitled to do all the things you listed.
An animals life is not as valuable as a humans, yes we should care for them and protect them but think of it this way, if their lives are just as valuable as humans should we then start treating them the same as humans? Make them abide to our laws? Pay taxes? Let them have jobs or a house? That is what you are implying when you say an animals life is just as valuable as ours and that they should be treated the same as humans
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
Going vegan doesn't require you to value humans the same as other animals. You simply have to value their lives and well-being over the momentary well-being and convenience their nutrients bring to us. And not all humans are expected/entitled to do all the things you listed.
What I was trying to say was that if you start treating animals the same as humans then why no make them do all the things above?
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Again, who's suggesting we should?
What I was trying to say was that if you start treating animals the same as humans then why no make them do all the things above?
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
Again, who's suggesting we should?
The people above were suggesting that
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Where? Do you have a direct quote where they state we should do so? I think a baby's life is more or less as valuable as an adult life but I don't think they should be treated identically.
The people above were suggesting that
niamhsrevision
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I recently watched this guy make a vid about being a vegan and he brought up some valid points.
Are your tastebuds worth more than an animals life?
Was the question I was left with, now i'm reconsidering :/
Personally I don't think so, but even so, the meat industry is one of the biggest contributors to greenhouse gases and climate change, so if you have any consideration at all for the planet and your future, you should cut meat out of your diet. So many people on this thread are like iTs NoT hEaLtHy To bE vEgEtArIaN but you can get all the protein you need from other sources like beans, nuts and vegetables. And there are millions of vegetarians and vegans around the world who are perfectly healthy so there clearly isn't a negative effect... Just something to think about.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Re the ”do animals have souls” debate.
I would say that a soul is the part of you concerned with right, wrong and religion, so any animal (including humans) that set up a society with a concept of right and wrong would (by me) be considered to have a soul. This isn't to say that animals without such a concept couldn't live on after death - God is benevolent and He could surely find a way for favoured pets to live on in Heaven.
iiiice-kreem-man
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think all of us should go out and hunt our own animals if we want to eat meat, or raise the animals in the best possible way. Then we can justify one of the arguments for eating meat, that we are part of the food chain. It's the suffering that we cause them by keeping them in battery farms and **** conditions that makes meat-eating so horrific. Our primitive ancestors worked hard and fought these animals in order to eat the meat whereas today we pay literally peanuts to eat the meat and don't do much to get it, taking it all for granted. Our disrespect towards them makes us unworthy of eating them in our current situation.
pinesandapples2001
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
If we didn't eat animals, another animal would eat them. I don't see why it's so wrong for humans (an animal) to eat other animals when that's what animals do.

I've seen the word animal too many times it doesn't seem real anymore.
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
If we didn't eat animals, another animal would eat them. I don't see why it's so wrong for humans (an animal) to eat other animals when that's what animals do.

I've seen the word animal too many times it doesn't seem real anymore.
Haha sorry I know you posted a year ago and im bringing you back to this 😅.

Maybe it is debatable whether we should eat animals, but what about the cruelty of factory farming? What about the cruelty of the dairy farm? What about the fact that in 500 years humans will probably look back at this time and think, how could humans be so cruel, just like how we look back in time and think how could people think slavery is okay?
Also, some questions to ask yourself is whether you could yourself kill the animals, and whether you could yourself work in factory farms and think its okay? Could you look through footage of what goes on in factory farming and feel like this is the right thing to do?
There is a lot of cognitive dissonance facing veganism but we should open our eyes and not shy away from the truth. I really really recommend you watch a few YouTube videos of Earthling Ed and Yuval Noah Harari. Super interesting, won't take up much time )
username4378620
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Idk about my taste buds but my gains certainly are.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (4)
7.14%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (31)
55.36%
No (21)
37.5%

Watched Threads