The Student Room Group

Are your tastebuds worth more than an animals life?

Scroll to see replies

Honestly I can see a vegetarians point. But one person stopping isn’t going to stop the animals being killed so you may as well enjoy it. There will always be demand for meat. Always.
And that’s how you should not sell your point and you wonder why people shun veganism.
yah!
Reply 63
Original post by Professional G
And that’s how you should not sell your point and you wonder why people shun veganism.

People shun veganism because they don't care about the suffering animals go through when you buy meat or any animal product. It has nothing to do with what I say or do.

Anyway what is wrong with what I said? I think its very likely that all religious books will turn out to be fiction.
(edited 5 years ago)
Won't change my opinion
Yes.

</thread>
:rolleyes:
Original post by selliw
People shun veganism because they don't care about the suffering animals go through when you buy meat or any animal product. It has nothing to do with what I say or do.

Anyway what is wrong with what I said? I think its very likely that all religious books will turn out to be fiction.

You do know that Islam, Christianity and Judaism have several billion followers alone. If you insult their holy books as a point for veganism, do you really think they will listen to anything you say?

As long as there’s no alternative to meat, it’s likely meat eating will last a very long time.
no.

I couldn't care less if it's natural. I don't think that just because something is natural, it suddenly makes it okay or free from any moral judgment. Lot's of things are natural that people would now call "immoral".
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 69
You better crawl away stinky before I say something that makes you cry.
Original post by selliw
Yours are just evil scum. I hate all of you.

Good to know. I don’t think I could have made it through the day without knowing that.
And you're back. I was thinking maybe you'd realised how pathetic this trolling was & actually gone & got a life. Obviously not then.
Original post by selliw
Do you not think its very likely that all religion is fiction? When people use a fictional book to try and support their argument is that not ignorant?

At least two of the religions you have mentioned is fiction (They can't all be true) and I can say that with 100% certainty.

I can say that all religions are fictional with 99.999% certainty.

Do you have evidence or is it something you just read off some random site? No one and I mean, No One has proof so I know you know **** about religion.
Until you have definite proof about what you say, I can’t and no one else will believe you.
Original post by selliw
You better crawl away stinky before I say something that makes you cry.

:rolleyes:
Original post by TheWiseFool
This Wise Fool is actually open to the idea of vegetarianism and veganism. If someone could convince me otherwise, I might reconsider my meat eating ways. For example, meat is important for many areas of our body not just including muscles. Some of these benefits from meat are;

Creatine (Only found in animal food) which is for the brain and for the muscles. Lack of Creatine means a lower performance in test and lower mental capacity.

Vitamin B12 Only found in meat again (though I could be wrong on this one) causes abnormalities in the blood if not taken in at a high enough rate.

A lack of Vitamin D3 appears to lead to an increase of; cancer, heart disease and depression.

Clearly, meat is very, very beneficial and that's just a few examples. It's very hard to live a healthy life without some supplements to replace meat. However, I'm not saying it's impossible.

A better question would be in this wise fools own opinion, Are we worth more than an animal's life? And the answer... Obviously! Now this Wise Fool wants to remind everyone, we're omnivores! Not carnivores or herbivores but omnivores.

I understand if someone doesn't like the idea of killing animals or animals being in pain. This fools agrees that animals being in pointless pain is well... pointless. However, I do think giving an animal purpose for being in our meals is fair. We are more important that animals.

Us eating animals can also help with the food chain. If some animals with no natural predators were no suddenly not longer livestock (they'd probably struggle) their population would sky-rocket until it collapses because of the food. Us eating animals keeps control of this.

Isn't stupid at all. If animals were to be set free, life would be harder for them their populations would boom then collapse and the food supply e.g. grass would be ravaged. The reason why this can't be applied to humans is because we've adapted to control such things.

Original post by DrawTheLine
If we lived with other animals more closely we would be killed and eaten by them such as hippos, alligators, tigers etc. It's natural for animals to eat each other and humans are no different. If we let cows etc live freely they would get killed by other animals and eaten by other animals.

Also I'm not making an argument I'm stating my opinion. I'm not trying to convince anybody to eat meat.

The farm animals that we eat have been heavily selectively bred for that purpose. Most live for only a fraction of the lifetime of the wild version of the animal before developing crippling health problems - in many cases, their legs simply cannot support the weight of edible muscle we've bred them to produce. Most are incapable of procreating - the animals we eat today are nearly all the product of artificial insemination.

If we decided to be a vegetarian or vegan society and began to treat these animals with the standards of compassion that we use with our pets, we wouldn't set them free - we would show mercy, and euthanise them. The breeds of animal that we eat would vanish, and their suffering would end.

So the idea that ceasing to breed and eat these animals would have an impact on natural food chains is absurd. They only exist, can only exist, because we continue to breed them, and they would never survive in the wild.
Reply 75
Original post by Dandaman1
That's just too long to respond to in its entirety.

Simply put, something being 'natural' obviously isn't a justification for doing it. There are lots of 'natural' things we don't do and outlaw, like murder, slavery or theft, for example. Or incest, or eating your own species. Likewise we do plenty of things that aren't natural, like drive or get in a plane. Arguing that eating animals because it's natural is therefore not an objective justification for it. And that's if you accept the meat industry is natural in the first place, which I do not.

But your repeated attempts to conflate the morality of killing animals with the morality of killing humans is where the problem lies, I think. Humans are highly intelligent and have a consciousness above that of other living things.

I haven't conflated the two. I've simply asked you to provide a justification for killing and eating a sentient, living being that wouldn't also justify eating large groups of humans. You have so far been unable to do so. If the justification is humans are intelligent and conscious, then what about humans who lack intelligence or consciousness, of which there are many. Should they be fair game for food?

You're obviously a highly intelligent guy, but your lines of argument on this topic are incredibly inconsistent and you talk about abstract, ambiguous concepts such as 'natural order' and 'nature' which you'd no doubt laugh at a SJW for discussing.

Empathy is our mind putting itself in others' shoes. Our morality structures itself around this sense of empathy and mutual understanding, particularly towards those closest to us, for safety and structural stability. That's the function of morality. But animals simply do not have the same complex lives, thoughts and feelings as we do. They aren't capable of it. When you feel bad for a chicken being killed for food you are habitually envisioning them experiencing your own feelings about life, loss, and death. But chickens simply do not think as a human would. They aren't capable. Their lives aren't like ours. Hence the empathy you feel for them dying for food is missplaced here. That empathy evolved for your kin; not them. They're just animals. They live, they die, they get eaten, as has been the way of things for millions of years. And by eating them too, as we also evolved to do, we are only partaking in normality and the natural order of things which will continue with or without you.

Therefore human empathy for the life of a chicken, for example, is rather pointless. It serves no function and you aren't saving anything that would even be capable of appreciating it. Your higher human empathy is completely lost on a lower life form over this. You haven't made the world a better place by not eating a bird. You haven't even made things better for the birds that will die and be consumed and recycled regardless.

None of this serves as a justification though. Just because chickens don't think as a human would, why does that justify killing them for food? Not all humans think alike, obviously, but again that doesn't justify killing other humans who think differently, or those you deem as lower humans.

And we do know that animals, like humans suffer, feel pain, love, happiness, excitement and protect their young. How is having empathy for a creature less intelligent than ourselves a bad thing?

The 'natural order' argument is again, rather poor. People used to argue it was the 'natural order' that the weak made way for the strong and used it to justify all sorts of heinous acts.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by Professional G
Do you have evidence or is it something you just read off some random site? No one and I mean, No One has proof so I know you know **** about religion.
Until you have definite proof about what you say, I can’t and no one else will believe you.

Common sense.

First of all all religions can't be right. Infact if any is right then it can only be one. Also there is no proof that even one is correct. there is as much chance as santa being real as there is of god being real.
Reply 77
Original post by Kayla1709
Honestly I can see a vegetarians point. But one person stopping isn’t going to stop the animals being killed so you may as well enjoy it. There will always be demand for meat. Always.

One person won't. But the more people that do refrain from eating meat, the less the demand will be for it and the fewer the amount of animals that will be killed.

Just as one person voting won't make a difference, but millions voting will.
Original post by DSilva
One person won't. But the more people that do refrain from eating meat, the less the demand will be for it and the fewer the amount of animals that will be killed.

Just as one person voting won't make a difference, but millions voting will.

I’m aware of this - what I’m saying is you will never get millions of people to give up meat
I think we all know it's obvious who you are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending