The Student Room Group

In desperate need of help!

I just finished my first year in Cellular and Molecular medicine at the university of Bristol(Really bad idea, rejected from last minute medicine application I finished 2hours before the deadline). It is a decent course but I am not motivated about it, I barely work for it and leave everything to the last minute however I've been thinking of changing to a maths degree. I don't have furthermaths alevel but I want to know whether I can take a year out to do Furthermaths at a college then apply with my other Alevels(A*AA in maths bio chem) with step/mat of course. The dream is maths at cambridge but imperial, warwick and other top unis are enough. I have no idea what to do, plez hep.
Original post by jbman690
I just finished my first year in Cellular and Molecular medicine at the university of Bristol(Really bad idea, rejected from last minute medicine application I finished 2hours before the deadline). It is a decent course but I am not motivated about it, I barely work for it and leave everything to the last minute however I've been thinking of changing to a maths degree. I don't have furthermaths alevel but I want to know whether I can take a year out to do Furthermaths at a college then apply with my other Alevels(A*AA in maths bio chem) with step/mat of course. The dream is maths at cambridge but imperial, warwick and other top unis are enough. I have no idea what to do, plez hep.

Why do you want to study maths?

What kind of things are studied in a maths degree, and do they appeal to you?
Reply 2
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Why do you want to study maths?

What kind of things are studied in a maths degree, and do they appeal to you?

I want to study Maths because i would enjoy it more and actually work hard for it. I am always looking at my flat mate's maths homework, help another with her engineering homework. I just love it, i fell in love with maths in late year 12, too late because I already picked subjects (so couldn't pick furthermaths). Maths deals heavily with deriving proofs, finding new proofs and solving problems in a large variety of fields ie number theory, group theory, complex analysis, differential geometry and all that shizzle.
I want to study Maths because i would enjoy it more and actually work hard for it. I am always looking at my flat mate's maths homework, help another with her engineering homework. I just love it, i fell in love with maths in late year 12, too late because I already picked subjects (so couldn't pick furthermaths). Maths deals heavily with deriving proofs, finding new proofs and solving problems in a large variety of fields ie number theory, group theory, complex analysis, differential geometry and all that shizzle.

Fair enough, sounds like you know what you're getting into, so I wouldn't immediately label it as a case of the grass being greener on the other side but I wouldn't rule it out - just remember that a lot of things can seem interesting when you don't have to study them.

You could ask Bristol to see if they'd let you swap to maths, but it sounds like you're set on applying elsewhere - in which case I'd suggest emailing their admissions departments, outlining your situation and your plan and whether it's likely that they'd consider you. I'd certainly hope so.
Reply 4
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Fair enough, sounds like you know what you're getting into, so I wouldn't immediately label it as a case of the grass being greener on the other side but I wouldn't rule it out - just remember that a lot of things can seem interesting when you don't have to study them.

You could ask Bristol to see if they'd let you swap to maths, but it sounds like you're set on applying elsewhere - in which case I'd suggest emailing their admissions departments, outlining your situation and your plan and whether it's likely that they'd consider you. I'd certainly hope so.

Thank you for the help.

Your grades do not meet the entry standards for Imperial and Warwick. As you are over 18 colleges may not accept you so you may be classed as a private student. You could enlist the support of the fmsp and study fm and step on your own. However the majority of maths courses do not require step or fm and I would suggest looking into them
http://furthermaths.org.uk/
Our minumum entry standard for 2019 entry is A*A*A overall, to include:

A* in Mathematics

A* in Further Mathematics

A in another subject

General Studies and Critical Thinking are not accepted.

A level: A*A*A + STEP (grade 1) or A*A*A* or A*A*AA including an A* in both Mathematics and Further Mathematics
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
Your grades do not meet the entry standards for Imperial and Warwick. As you are over 18 colleges may not accept you so you may be classed as a private student. You could enlist the support of the fmsp and study fm and step on your own. However the majority of maths courses do not require step or fm and I would suggest looking into them
http://furthermaths.org.uk/
Our minumum entry standard for 2019 entry is A*A*A overall, to include:

A* in Mathematics

A* in Further Mathematics

A in another subject

General Studies and Critical Thinking are not accepted.

A level: A*A*A + STEP (grade 1) or A*A*A* or A*A*AA including an A* in both Mathematics and Further Mathematics

If I studied fm and step on my own and got the required grades, would my application be overlooked because I did fm separately or applying as a 19 year old?

Quick Reply