The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Biology!*Official Thread*(aka as SNAB/Pearson)

This poll is closed

How’d you think you’re going to do on Paper 3?

Great :)8%
Alright 21%
OK38%
Bad21%
Awful :(13%
Total votes: 24
So, I’ve been looking through TSR for a while now for my exam board of A level biology. That’s when I realised- THERE ISN’T ONE :frown: So, I thought (even though majority of A-level Biology students have paper 2 tomorrow -Good luck :smile:) it’s better late than never to start a thread if it’s going to help students now or in the future! Please use this thread to revise, chat about biology and to help with any concerns you may have with the course!

(Just a reminder of the exam breakdown if anyone has forgotten:

Paper 01 - Topics 1-4 + 5&6

Paper 02 - Topics 1-4 + 7&8

Paper 03 - All topics (1-8) + pre-release

Hope this helps!)

LIST OF AS LEVEL TOPICS (1-4)

Topic 1 ~ Lifestyle, health and risk

Topic 2 ~ Genes and Health

Topic 3 ~ Voice of the Genome

Topic 4 ~ Biodiversity and Natural Resources

LIST OF A2 LEVEL TOPICS (5-8)

Topic 5 ~ On the Wild Side

Topic 6 ~ Infection, immunity and Forensics

Topic 7 ~ Run For your Life

Topic 8 ~ Grey Matter

Good luck everyone!
:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Paper 3 on Monday 😬 eeeekkk! No worries though, Biology A level will soon be over! Yay! 😀 or No ☹️ (Depending on how you look it at it) if anyone has any questions related to the subject or the pre release I’m here to help!
Reply 2
Original post by dreamerz11
Paper 3 on Monday 😬 eeeekkk! No worries though, Biology A level will soon be over! Yay! 😀 or No ☹️ (Depending on how you look it at it) if anyone has any questions related to the subject or the pre release I’m here to help!

do you possibly have any predictions on which core practicals could come up?
Reply 3
Original post by Kap_599
do you possibly have any predictions on which core practicals could come up?

I can go on the ones that haven’t come up already:

Core Practical 01: Effect of caffeine on Daphnia
Core Practical 02: Vitamin C content of food and drink
Core Practical 03: Membrane permeability (investigating if alcohol conc. or temperature effects permeability of a beetroot)
Core Practical 05: Root Tip Squash (mitosis practical)
Core Practical 06: Differences between sclerenchyma fibres and xylem vessels
Core Practical 07: Plant mineral deficiencies
Core Practical 08: Tensile Strength
Core Practical 09: Antimicrobial properties of plants
Core Practical 10: Ecology Field trip
Core Practical 12: Q10
Core Practical 13: Effects of Temperature on the development of an organism (e.g. brine shrimps or seedlings)
Core Practcial 14: Gel Electrophoresis
Core Practical 15: Effect of different Antibiotics on bacteria
Core Practical 16: Rate of Respiration
Core Practcial 17: Effects of exercise on tidal volume, breathing rate, respiratory minute ventilation and oxygen consumption (using the Spirometer)
Core Practical 18: Habituation

If I had to have guess as to which ones are mostly likely (and I mean a GUESS) I’d say CP 18, 17, 16, 14, 10 & 5 based on the pre-release being mainly topic 8 and the fact that th past 2 papers have lacked ecology and immunity. I’d just also like to say that, just because the other ones have already come up doesn’t mean they won’t again but I think it’s more likely they won’t.

Hope this helps!

:smile: :smile: :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
I can go on the ones that haven’t come up already:

Core Practical 01: Effect of caffeine on Daphnia
Core Practical 02: Vitamin C content of food and drink
Core Practical 03: Membrane permeability (investigating if alcohol conc. or temperature effects permeability of a beetroot)
Core Practical 05: Root Tip Squash (mitosis practical)
Core Practical 06: Differences between sclerenchyma fibres and xylem vessels
Core Practical 07: Plant mineral deficiencies
Core Practical 08: Tensile Strength
Core Practical 09: Antimicrobial properties of plants
Core Practical 10: Ecology Field trip
Core Practical 12: Q10
Core Practical 13: Effects of Temperature on the development of an organism (e.g. brine shrimps or seedlings)
Core Practcial 14: Gel Electrophoresis
Core Practical 15: Effect of different Antibiotics on bacteria
Core Practical 16: Rate of Respiration
Core Practcial 17: Effects of exercise on tidal volume, breathing rate, respiratory minute ventilation and oxygen consumption (using the Spirometer)
Core Practical 18: Habituation

If I had to have guess as to which ones are mostly likely (and I mean a GUESS) I’d say CP 18, 17, 16, 14, 10 & 5 based on the pre-release being mainly topic 8 and the fact that th past 2 papers have lacked ecology and immunity. I’d just also like to say that, just because the other ones have already come up doesn’t mean they won’t again but I think it’s more likely they won’t.

Hope this helps!

:smile: :smile: :smile:

thank you so much! i'll definitely go over all still and you're right about ecology not having come up - do you think it would be about sampling techniques?
Reply 5
Original post by Kap_599
thank you so much! i'll definitely go over all still and you're right about ecology not having come up - do you think it would be about sampling techniques?

Maybe things like sampling techniques, net primary productivity, biomass efficiency and energy through throphic levels and evidence for climate change (e.g. peat bogs).
I cried after paper 2 cus for the 6 marker on testosterone, i forgot to talk about athersclerosis caused by LDL. I got multiple choice wrong for positive correlation, adaptation question. Got most of the maths questions wrong. My 6 marker on the experiment was poor. I didn't understand the question on the rate of sweating with a large sa. I didn't understand the last two questions and my answers weren't detailed. And also for the muscle question, I didn't get how to relate which one was extensor and flexor? I said about antagonistic and flexor is when muscle bends at joint ? Ffs I defo lost 50 marks probs.

Paper 1 went ok. Do u think I can still get an A if paper 3 is better?
Does anyone know how to answer the 9 marker question? Also does anyone have any examples of 9 mark questions that could come up, because I can't find anything online besides last years paper and the specimen paper. I have no idea on what to do and the exam is on Monday!!
Reply 8
Original post by cmonb123
I cried after paper 2 cus for the 6 marker on testosterone, i forgot to talk about athersclerosis caused by LDL. I got multiple choice wrong for positive correlation, adaptation question. Got most of the maths questions wrong. My 6 marker on the experiment was poor. I didn't understand the question on the rate of sweating with a large sa. I didn't understand the last two questions and my answers weren't detailed. And also for the muscle question, I didn't get how to relate which one was extensor and flexor? I said about antagonistic and flexor is when muscle bends at joint ? Ffs I defo lost 50 marks probs.

Paper 1 went ok. Do u think I can still get an A if paper 3 is better?

These are last year’s grade boundaries for all three papers combined:
(Out of a total of 300 Marks)
A*-200 (67%)
A - 174 (58%)
B - 150 (50%)
C - 126 (42%)
D - 102 (34%)
E - 79 (26%)
U - 0 (26%<)

Hopefully, so long as you do well on paper 3 and you think you’re confident with what you did for paper 1 it should all be ok! Don’t worry though, a B isn’t a bad grade for A level biology either! Just try and put it behind you when you go into paper 3. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by ..annon..
Does anyone know how to answer the 9 marker question? Also does anyone have any examples of 9 mark questions that could come up, because I can't find anything online besides last years paper and the specimen paper. I have no idea on what to do and the exam is on Monday!!

One of the best things I suggest (even though it sounds a bit obvious) read the question twice and underline the key concepts BEFORE writing your answer, it can really help you include all the important knowledge! Also, base your answer on the “instructive” words (e.g discuss, evaluate, analyse) if you get three “instructive” words. I’d suggest breaking your answer down into three 3 mark questions. E.g. Describe, analyse and evaluate: describe the biology as a three marker, analyse the biology as a three maker and then analyse the biology (use stats in tables/graphs if given throughout). If you’re given 2, then do two four markers followed by a little conclusion at the end (like a sentence, don’t go mad :smile: :smile: :smile:

Plus, I’ll try to attach the nine marker from 2016
1E199643-F456-49D0-B346-846C22769EA1.jpeg
(edited 5 years ago)
One of the best things I suggest (even though it sounds a bit obvious) read the question twice and underline the key concepts BEFORE writing your answer, it can really help you include all the important knowledge! Also, base your answer on the “instructive” words (e.g discuss, evaluate, analyse) if you get three “instructive” words. I’d suggest breaking your answer down into three 3 mark questions. E.g. Describe, analyse and evaluate: describe the biology as a three marker, analyse the biology as a three maker and then analyse the biology (use stats in tables/graphs if given throughout). If you’re given 2, then do two four markers followed by a little conclusion at the end (like a sentence, don’t go mad :smile: :smile: :smile:

5243C85E-B1AB-49CC-8F48-40932C3F90DE.jpeg
Reply 11
Hey I also do this exam board how would you go about revising for paper 3. I have no clue where to start.
Original post by zakya
Hey I also do this exam board how would you go about revising for paper 3. I have no clue where to start.

Look over the pre release first, that’s the best idea. Make notes on what topics look likely to come up! Don’t get to bogged down by this though, as it’s been shown that a single word can be the subject of a question. I’d genuinely look over statistical tests and try and get to grips with them. Other than that, I’d say look over topics for 1-8 you struggle with. I’d definetly say Ecology and the majority of Topic 8 is a great idea to go over! :smile:

Thank you so much, I'll definitely be doing that. It seem much simpler now and less scary

I know from what I've read on the examiner's report and the mark scheme from last years paper is that,

If it mentions two different 'sides' or 'arguments', like last year's paper was proteins in the membrane vs the phospholipid bilayer, first:

Explain in depth one side of question - think three mark question.
Then explain in depth the other side of the question.
Finally link the two sides and make a one sentence conclusion.

Also make sure to give named, specific examples eg. don't just say receptors, say CD4 receptors on the t helper cell for example or don't just say speciation, say allopatric speciation due to geographical isolation.

Finally when it prompts you to analyse the data given, don't just list it, you'll receive ZERO marks. You have to then explain what that data means.
Reply 15

fullsizeoutput_1ad5.jpeg
Only a little while now! :smile: Good luck everyone :smile:
So, how did everyone think they did? :smile: :smile: :smile:
I mean it was better than paper 2 but still some questions were difficult wbu.

Quick Reply

Latest