Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tracys was here)
I need help on the history on suffagrates for tomorrow plzzzz😃😃😃❤️

All short

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...omenrev1.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/higher...ge/revision/2/

https://revisionworld.com/gcse-revis...18/votes-women

SUFFRAGETTES
The Campaign for women’s suffrage (the right to vote) began in earnest in the 1860s.
Committees all over the country organised petitions and meetings – 1300 were held in 1877-78.
In 1897 these local groups formed a national organisation – The National Union of Women’s Suffrage Societies (NUWSS) alsoknown as the Suffragists.
The organisation was led by Millicent Fawcett.
More meetings and petitions followed – but most male politicians simply ignored these polite demands.
In 1903 some Suffragists lost patience.
Emmeline Pankhurst formed the Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU) in Manchester.
The WSPU – whose motto was ‘Deeds not Words’ – rebelled against the male government of Britain.
Mrs Pankhurst and her followers became known as the SUFFRAGETTES.

SUFFRAGETTES METHODS OF PROTEST
Suffragettes ran a much more high profile campaign than the NUWSS. Their methods included:- heckling at public meetings; organising processions; publishing posters and leaflets that were dropped from airships. When this failed more extreme methods were used:- In London they chained themselves to the railings of 10 Downing Street. By 1913 their tactics had moved from breaking windows and setting off fire alarms and their campaign spread away from the centre of London.
31 May - Railway telegraph wires cut in Cardiff and Monmouth.
2 June - Post boxes in Lewisham set on fire.
3 June - Acid poured onto the greens of a golf course near Doncaster.
4 June - Emily Davison tried to stop the King’s horse at the Derby and was killed in the attempt.
5 June - Purple dye was poured into the reservoirs near Bradford.
9 June - The grandstand at Hurst Park racecourse in Surrey was set on fire.
9 June - A cricket pavilion in Middlesex was set on fire. When the Prime Minister Asquith visited Dublin an axe was thrown narrowly missing him. Bombs were planted in railway stations and in Westminster Abbey and an explosion led to a fire at the home of David Lloyd – the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

THE GOVERNMENT’S RESPONSE
Many MPs were shocked by the growing violence but were worried about giving in.
Asquith believed if he gave in to threats it would encourage other groups to use violence to threaten the government.
The government faced serious threats – particularly from rebellion in Ireland and lengthy strikes in coal and other vital industries.
The government tried to curb the Suffragettes’ campaign – window-breakers and other protestors who refused to pay fines were sent to prison.
In prison some Suffragettes went on hunger strike and the government decided to force-feed them – rather than take the risk of them dying.
Some women were prepared to die for their cause (i.e. going on hunger strike). They were force fed, but this led to more public support for the hunger strikers.
Instead of force-feeding the women, the government released them when they became very ill and close to death.
A law was introduced allowing the women the women to be rearrested to complete their sentences when they were well enough. This was known as the ‘Cat and Mouse Act’. – some women avoided re-arrest by going into hiding.

VOTES FOR WOMEN
1918 – Women over the age of 30 were given the right to vote.
1928 – Women over the age of 21 were given the right vote.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (84)
18.5%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (128)
28.19%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (167)
36.78%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (61)
13.44%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (14)
3.08%

Watched Threads