The Student Room Group

Grades

Why is that people who get A* and 9s in exams think that it’s a really bad grade?! It’s not! I’m one of those people who won’t be getting grades like that. And to see people who get incredible grades and they don’t think that they are really aggravate me. As they know that they’re great grades. Are people just doing it for attention?
Reply 1
Everyone has different expectations of themselves. For some people a 5 is amazing, for others a 7 is terrible; just because someone's academic expectations don't fall in line perfectly with yours, doesn't mean they're doing it for attention.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Attention definitely!

just gloating, ignore them
Because to them, an A is bad.
I got 3A*s 2As 3Bs 2Cs which is a pretty good set of results by statistical standard, however to me it’s not good enough. I would have preferred to have no Cs as a C to me is a bad grade. I have been brought up that way. In my family a C is barely scratching a pass. So it’s all to do with self esteem and upbringing
Reply 4
Wait, what? How can anyone think that the top grade is a bad grade? They might downplay how impressive it is, but you literally can't do better...
Reply 5
Mine aren’t perfect at all! But if someone has got a 7 for example they should be happy because they’ve passed.
Reply 6
But why is an A bad? Your results are incredible. Cs are so good too. They aren’t bad. I would be happy with all Cs just as long as I pass
lmao it's the posts about

"i got 12 A*s at GCSE in Year 9, are they good enough for Oxbridge?"

it's the consistent comments about how easy every exam was too that upsets me, especially after maths.
Reply 8
I would've been happy to get all Cs/4s or 5s.
No one considers A*s or 9s bad because they are literally the highest you can possibly get.

Having said that, I'm someone who would have a meltdown if I got anything less than an A and would be disappointed if I did get an A (barring AS levels where A is the highest grade). Why? Not because I want attention (I actually do my best to avoid telling people my grades), but because I have high standards for myself and thus am used to getting top grades.

This isn't written with the intention of sounding arrogant, but is the truth for those who always get A*s.
Reply 10
So I shouldn’t of specifically specified A* 9s. What I meant was people who get amazing grades think they’re bad when they aren’t
Dunning Kruger Effect :smile:
It depends on the person. I myself wouldn't be happy if I got anything other than 100% (80/80) on a maths paper of the expectations I set my self. Though I'd be over the moon if I got over 65% on a biology paper. Some people just expect different things and it's justified considering no-one knows your capabilities better than yourself

Quick Reply

Latest