The Student Room Group

My life is not worth anything

I wish I could swap places with people with terminal diseases, they have so much to live for and I have nothing. I’m dumb, a failure and not attractive. People with families who care for them, people who actually make a difference in society. People who are mothers and fathers. Why do they have to die and I get to live it’s not fair. I’m just a waste of space

Scroll to see replies

How old are ya, if ya dont mind me asking?
Honestly feeling the same rn. Its acc heartbreaking knowing that people are going through the same **** im going through. I know this wont really change anything but im really sorry about how u feel, i wish there was something i could do to help
Reply 3
Original post by PeterDick'ed
How old are ya, if ya dont mind me asking?

Times will get better.
Don't put your life's worth under those of others.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Come on mate, you're still so young, you got most of your life ahead of ya, I guarantee it all gets better.
There’s so much greatness in life, PLEASE don’t limit your whole future to a rough patch. What doesn’t kill you makes you STRONGER. Be strong.
Reply 7
Original post by PeterDick'ed
Come on mate, you're still so young, you got most of your life ahead of ya, I guarantee it all gets better.

Not really, I’ve failed two years of Alevels, I don’t have any friends, I don’t have any family, I’m a foreigner stuck in a foreign country. No boy likes me
Reply 8
At the risk of sounding patronising, it does get better.

I could have written what you just did word for word when I was 18. I'm 24 now with a completely different perspective of life. Things do change.

You should speak to a Dr.
You're only 18 mate.

Set goals, organise yourself, create a weekly list, keep on top of things. You can study an access to higher education course or BTEC or an open university degree.

You can help out and inspire others.

There are so many movies to watch, people to meet, books to read, sports matches, places to see.
Original post by Saltire3
At the risk of sounding patronising, it does get better.

I could have written what you just did word for word when I was 18. I'm 24 now with a completely different perspective of life. Things do change.

You should speak to a Dr.

How did you get better?
I spoke to a Dr and was put on medication, at the time I was reluctant but I definitely needed it in retrospect. It's only temporary and I no longer take them. When you are depressed your way of thinking is blackened and distorted so you genuinely think you will feel like this forever and things will never get better, the meds (only one tablet per day, so not like it was an inconvenience) will boost much needed serotonin and dopamine. I was also given counselling which helped a lot.

Over the years you mature and your confidence will grow so you will start to try new things and meet new people.
@shabby123 they didn't appreciate your short links. Haters.
I spoke to a Dr and was put on medication, at the time I was reluctant but I definitely needed it in retrospect. It's only temporary and I no longer take them. When you are depressed your way of thinking is blackened and distorted so you genuinely think you will feel like this forever and things will never get better, the meds (only one tablet per day, so not like it was an inconvenience) will boost much needed serotonin and dopamine. I was also given counselling which helped a lot.

Over the years you mature and your confidence will grow so you will start to try new things and meet new people.

Thank you for your reply, wow did it make a difference? How long did it take for the doctor to prescribe you them? Also did you have counselling on the nhs or privately? I’ve heard there’s a huge waiting list :frown:
on a side note, OP, i'm sure you've heard this thousands of tiiimes, and you dont take it serious but it WILL get better, alot of people have been in the same situation as you but as long as you persevere and work hard you'll only gain, if you don't care about life, you have noone, just **** it, go out there and do all the **** you've always wanted to do, you have nothing else to lose right? work your ass off til you make or get into something, and work on it, since you have nothing to lose.
18 is still very much in the first quarter of your life.
I haven’t been to uni yet or have a whole lot of friends, I’m 23, sadly with mental health issues that have held me back, so I do understand how you feel.

However, life is going to be **** sometimes, so you have to make it your *****.
I was in a position to take my own life, but heck, things do get better. They can go down again, but they always go up.

You don’t have to have a huge reason to move forward and up. I want to live for my pets, to see and feel the rain, appreciating he smaller things really helps. Heck, after years of trauma only recently have I found something to look forward to which is the new HTTYD movie. Sounds stupid to some people, but if it means something to you, hold on to that.

Sounds like you would be better seeing a doctor to speak to, or even a helpline like Samaritans. They can give you advice on things.
Other than that - pick up new hobbies, get up and out there to better yourself.
Don’t compare yourself - we all go through things differently, so don’t invalidate your struggles or wish you had something else to deal with. I can tell you I would rather have failed my exams than have to go through the issues I do go through.

It’s just about finding something you love to get you jump started on the way up.
The Doctor prescribed the medicine to me the same day I had the appointment, then I got them from the pharmacy straight after the appointment. They were to be taken in the morning so I started them the very next day.

The counselling I got on the NHS was pretty quick but I think it usually is. Therapy is usually what has a huge waiting list (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy etc.) so I ended up going privately for CBT after I finished seeing the counsellor.

If you are at Uni you will probably get a grant or discretionary fund for it though.
The Doctor prescribed the medicine to me the same day I had the appointment, then I got them from the pharmacy straight after the appointment. They were to be taken in the morning so I started them the very next day.

The counselling I got on the NHS was pretty quick but I think it usually is. Therapy is usually what has a huge waiting list (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy etc.) so I ended up going privately for CBT after I finished seeing the counsellor.

If you are at Uni you will probably get a grant or discretionary fund for it though.

I’ve always wanted to see a doctor but felt too ashamed and felt like I wouldn’t be given help quickly too but after your message it’s really encouraged me to book an appointment:smile:
Don't feel ashamed, you honestly have nothing to worry about.

Although I suppose in your defence when I was 18 I felt the same. I'm pretty open about it now. I even have a semi-colon tattoo for mental health awareness.

I hope you do make an appointment. I think you'll be surprised at how supportive and understanding the GP is.
same, but its worse cause im 19 so you can feel better for being younger than me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending