The Student Room Group

Worried I may have gone through a red light

I was driving through Manchester on Saturday afternoon, I was in a steady line of traffic through a 20mph zone when I came to a traffic light controlled junction. I am 99.9% certain that the lights where still on green when the car in front of me just suddenly stopped without indicating or turning on his hazard warning lights to let people out of his car.

So I just went around them and carried on my way but now I'm worried thinking what if I actually did go through a red light and what if there was a camera attached to the lights that catches people who go through on red?
"when the car in front of me just suddenly stopped without indicating or turning on his hazard warning lights to let people out of his car. "
#Uberlife

Look up the area on google maps, then you'll know if there was a camera or not. If the answer is yes and the lights were red, you'll receive a NiP within a couple of weeks, if the answer is no, or the lights were green (or both) - you're fine.
Reply 2
Original post by nevershear
"when the car in front of me just suddenly stopped without indicating or turning on his hazard warning lights to let people out of his car. "
#Uberlife

Look up the area on google maps, then you'll know if there was a camera or not. If the answer is yes and the lights were red, you'll receive a NiP within a couple of weeks, if the answer is no, or the lights were green (or both) - you're fine.

I have looked on Google Maps and it was a camera similar to this but I'm not sure if it's a sensor for monitoring traffic or a red light camera.
Original post by MikePL
I have looked on Google Maps and it was a camera similar to this but I'm not sure if it's a sensor for monitoring traffic or a red light camera.

That’s a sensor. You’re fine.
Reply 4
Original post by MikePL

You're looking for a giant yellow thing on a pole. If there isn't a giant yellow thing on a pole, then there isn't a camera.
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
You're looking for a giant yellow thing on a pole. If there isn't a giant yellow thing on a pole, then there isn't a camera.

I've managed to find the exact traffic lights I went through on Google Maps. It's hard to see for the trees in the background but you can just see a little black box on top of the lights.
Original post by IWMTom

Can be grey, but they are pretty obvious lol
Reply 7
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Can be grey, but they are pretty obvious lol

Supposed to have all been painted yellow by now haven't they? Or is that only speed cameras.

Original post by MikePL
I've managed to find the exact traffic lights I went through on Google Maps. It's hard to see for the trees in the background but you can just see a little black box on top of the lights.

Is it big and yellow on its own pole? No? Not a camera.
Original post by IWMTom

That's a speed camera though, red light cameras aren't always or usally speed cameras too
Original post by IWMTom
Is it big and yellow on its own pole? No? Not a camera.

Actually there are many types of cameras including red light cameras but as others have said it probably is a sensor.
Reply 10
Original post by Iahmed512
That's a speed camera though, red light cameras aren't always or usally speed cameras too

They're separately mounted on a pole and usually always painted yellow...
Original post by IWMTom
Supposed to have all been painted yellow by now haven't they? Or is that only speed cameras.

Supposed to be, but not the case.

But yeah, Gatsos have replaced pretty much every kind of camera we have that isn't a surveillance camera, so if it doesn't resemble a speed camera, the chances are it isn't tracking you. A surveillance camera (which are pretty much anywhere and everywhere) can - but I don't honestly think they use them for this purpose.
Reply 12
The only "Traffic Enforcement Camera" that can do both speed and red light runners is the Speed Curb. Oh, and the Monitron camera, but they both look the same anyway. I think they're both made by the same company?
I went through a red light on a roundabout once in an area I'd never driven before - it was one of those pesky "is that my light or is that the light for the entry behind me off the left" situations. And on this occasion, it turned out to be mine. Luckily I stopped before entering the oncoming traffic path, but one of them emergency stopped as well. Accident averted, but I felt like a right wally reversing back.

No prosecution notice though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending