The Student Room Group

AQA Biology GCSE (9-1) trilogy: Paper 2 11th June 2018 unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by bvfh
what did you all get for the six marker on the doctors advice about anti biotics?

I talked about

1) hygiene (washing hands in between patients)
2) not over prescribing antibiotics or giving them for viruses
3) isolation of infected patients
4) only prescribing that anti biotic if necessary
Original post by Olivertvs
Oestrogen builds up lining, progesterone maintains it.

Oestrogen inhibits FSH but increase LH

Oestrogen releases 1 egg per month from the ovary

Oestrogen is produced in the ovary

Oestrogen is responsible for the development secondary sexual charectoristics (puberty) I’m not sure but u might get a mark for saying it fundamentally starts periods. (I personally didn’t put this because I thought it was irrelevant to the question but idk u might have been able to twist it into a mark)

I think you would have to explain more about function of FSH and LH though, but for the amount you have it seems good.
I talked about

1) hygiene (washing hands in between patients)
2) not over prescribing antibiotics or giving them for viruses
3) isolation of infected patients
4) only prescribing that anti biotic if necessary

I didn't think of the prevention part, and reducing risk, only mentioned stuff to do with anti biotic itself, isolation and hygiene part is a good point.
What did people put for light intensity device, I honestly had no idea and put something random and stupid like light intensity detector or something like that, and the question about the square shaped device measure the species, I put transect for that one.
Reply 44
Original post by Iahmed512
What did people put for light intensity device, I honestly had no idea and put something random and stupid like light intensity detector or something like that, and the question about the square shaped device measure the species, I put transect for that one.

I put a photometer as they show light intensity, right?
Original post by itsroh
I put a photometer as they show light intensity, right?

Yep just looked it up, I'm thinking thinking I should have thought about that when tbh I never would have thought of that and I probably didn't know it though I thought I did.
Original post by Hristova
Triple science- higher

What did you get for the percentage question of biomass?

This is the combined science thread.
Reply 47
I rushed it I talked about how it was economically beneficial for the famer (quick growth and all year round taste) and then I said how it could be dangerous for human consumption as there is potential for cancer
sounds correct to me, economically beneficial and ethically wrong
Was a nice paper to be honest, for the maths questions: I got 0.45 for the menstrual cycle one, ( (50-17.5)/72 ) however I stupidly put 0.13ms for the nerve one, had a mind blank and thought there were 10ms in a s, like there's 10mm in a cm, should still get 2/3 marks, right?
Original post by RobEaster
Was a nice paper to be honest, for the maths questions: I got 0.45 for the menstrual cycle one, ( (50-17.5)/72 ) however I stupidly put 0.13ms for the nerve one, had a mind blank and thought there were 10ms in a s, like there's 10mm in a cm, should still get 2/3 marks, right?

I get the part about 50-17.5 but why divided by 72 is it because there's 72 hours in 3 days?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 50
Who got 12m/s for the circle area question
Original post by Iahmed512
I get the part about 50-17.5 but why divided by 72 is it because there's 72 hours in 3 days?

Yeah, it asked for the rate in terms of hours, not days.

Initially, I had divided by 3, but when I was doing my final check at the end I noticed my mistake and corrected my answer.
Original post by RobEaster
Yeah, it asked for the rate in terms of hours, not days.

Initially, I had divided by 3, but when I was doing my final check at the end I noticed my mistake and corrected my answer.

Yeah I divided it by the original because I was thinking of percentage increase too much rather than rates of decrease, and I got 2.5, I was thinking of changing but I didn't, I don't think it's 0.45 either because 0.45*72=32.4 and LH graph was solid line and went all the way to 50.
Original post by Vera123
Who got 12m/s for the circle area question

M/s second, are you talking about the neve question? Only other one involving a circle was at the beginning which was the section of tree.
I got 0.46 for that hormone question; (50-17)/72 (3 days in hours) = 0.458333... Which i rounded to 0.46 as 2 significant figures. Since figuring out the lower number was a bit of a estimation though id assume the answer would be allowed in a range so 0.45 or something close would also be accepted (assuming my maths was correct :s-smilie:)
Also what the heck were those oyster questions. I think I literally wrote the word Meiosis about 6 times
(edited 5 years ago)
Put your answers here. How did everyone find it?

I did my exam in a&e?!!! I broke my leg on the way into the exam hall lol it was good but I was easily distracted
Reply 56
Original post by charlie_w121
I did my exam in a&e?!!! I broke my leg on the way into the exam hall lol it was good but I was easily distracted

Did u have an invigilator with you in the hospital room? How did u break you leg on the way to an exam? Ahahaha
Anyone get 1.25 for area question?
Original post by ExamsAreComing:)
Anyone get 1.25 for area question?

I believe it was 1.5:

Area of quadrat = 0.5 * 0.5 = 0.25

Then, they measured every 2m, on a 10m transect line, starting from 0.

So, they measured at; 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10

So they made 6 measurements

6 * 0.25 = 1.5
Original post by Momjeans123
Relatively easy, got 1.3 ms on the neurone question and 5.5m^2 for the area question

I almost did but then I realized there's 1000 ms in 1 s so its 13.3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending