The Student Room Group

Realistic pathway to Medicine? (Mature Student)

( Background: I'm 20, Passed College with an Engineering Level 3 [D*D*D*], Hated the subject [Parents], Didn't pursue it, canceled my Uni offers, Took a job in Health & Social care, LOVE it, now looking to study Medicine and become an NHS Doctor, with 0 of the relevant Qualifications )

Now that the backgrounds out the way :biggrin:

THE PLAN:

From mid next year I plan to enroll with a Dis Learning provider for A-Levels (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, Maths) All taken as a Fast Track option (One year) Possibly will drop Psychology if time doesn't allow.

During this time I intend to continue working part-time in my current role (Healthcare assistant [Drug addiction Rehab Center], 3 Years Experience) I'll realistically have around 40/50 hours a week to study.

I intend to use the remainder of this year re-learning my GCSE material and having a look over A-Level grade Material

Is this a realistic path, assuming I can get the Grades, into a Medical School such as Southampton for there 5 year BMBS?

It really is a dream and a serious burning passion is behind it.

Many Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
If you have a passion, its 100% achievable. Realistic? I wouldn't know.
I would say yeah
- you'll have the a-levels any normal lower student would have, and if you get the grades you'll be able to get into uni
If anything I'd say you'd benefit because you have some form of work experience

Just be careful because some uni's (I think Southampton is one of them) don't accept a-levels if they've been taken over the standard 2 years (so if you're retaking any) but new ones should be fine
Good luck!
Original post by Fallen_Angel_
If you have a passion, its 100% achievable. Realistic? I wouldn't know.

This is definitely my chosen pathway I just need to get there!

Original post by charlotte100200
I would say yeah
- you'll have the a-levels any normal lower student would have, and if you get the grades you'll be able to get into uni
If anything I'd say you'd benefit because you have some form of work experience

Just be careful because some uni's (I think Southampton is one of them) don't accept a-levels if they've been taken over the standard 2 years (so if you're retaking any) but new ones should be fine
Good luck!

Hi there! Thanks for the advice, All 4/5 will be new, I've had a few people mention that fast-tracking 5 A-levels would be around 1000 Study hours + Revision, which most say isn't possible, some simple man Maths would suggest that's about 25 hours a week ( Assuming 9 months study time [Aug-Apr] , 39 weeks) which is well within spec since i'll have 40 hours available with ease.

I would hope that potentially 4 A-Levels at good grades with 4 years industry specific experience should give me a good chance
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DrRyanClarke
( Background: I'm 20, Passed College with an Engineering Level 3 [D*D*D*], Hated the subject [Parents], Didn't pursue it, canceled my Uni offers, Took a job in Health & Social care, LOVE it, now looking to study Medicine and become an NHS Doctor, with 0 of the relevant Qualifications )

Now that the backgrounds out the way :biggrin:

THE PLAN:

From mid next year I plan to enroll with a Dis Learning provider for A-Levels (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, Maths) All taken as a Fast Track option (One year) Possibly will drop Psychology if time doesn't allow.

During this time I intend to continue working part-time in my current role (Healthcare assistant [Drug addiction Rehab Center], 3 Years Experience) I'll realistically have around 40/50 hours a week to study.

I intend to use the remainder of this year re-learning my GCSE material and having a look over A-Level grade Material

Is this a realistic path, assuming I can get the Grades, into a Medical School such as Southampton for there 5 year BMBS?

It really is a dream and a serious burning passion is behind it.

Many Thanks

Do not do 5 a-levels. It is completely unnecessary and is more likely to do you harm (i.e. getting AABBB instead). I would say don't even do 4. No where (except maybe Barts) gives credit for extra a-levels and most don't even require a 4th AS due to the changes to a-level.

Most important thing is to get AAA, with at least bio, chem and one other of your choosing. Trying to do 5 in one year is not going to go well, in all likelihood.
This is definitely my chosen pathway I just need to get there!

Hi there! Thanks for the advice, All 4/5 will be new, I've had a few people mention that fast-tracking 5 A-levels would be around 1000 Study hours + Revision, which most say isn't possible, some simple man Maths would suggest that's about 25 hours a week ( Assuming 9 months study time [Aug-Apr] , 39 weeks) which is well within spec since i'll have 40 hours available with ease.

I would hope that potentially 4 A-Levels at good grades with 4 years industry specific experience should give me a good chance

a levels are a lot different to a national diploma (level diploma). for medicine, maths, chemistry, physics and biology should be 4 of the 5 a levels youre doing. medicine is a long course, and you need great grades, not good grades to get on a medicine course.

a levels aren't hard but the amount of work required for a levels is immense. so, you should space them out over 2 years. id take further maths too, if youre doing 5 - or additional chemistry, if its available.
Reply 6
There is no point or any need to do 5 A Levels. Realistically, it won't make you stand out and you will end up with more B grades than you need.

Do three, aim for AAA.
Original post by ForestCat
Do not do 5 a-levels. It is completely unnecessary and is more likely to do you harm (i.e. getting AABBB instead). I would say don't even do 4. No where (except maybe Barts) gives credit for extra a-levels and most don't even require a 4th AS due to the changes to a-level.

Most important thing is to get AAA, with at least bio, chem and one other of your choosing. Trying to do 5 in one year is not going to go well, in all likelihood.

Original post by Airmed
There is no point or any need to do 5 A Levels. Realistically, it won't make you stand out and you will end up with more B grades than you need.

Do three, aim for AAA.

It's more an interest in the Subject and a desire to fill up the time more than a need to do them, Respect the advice and would most likely only do 4 in reality, however will certainly consider dropping too the three.

Original post by Maths&physics
a levels are a lot different to a national diploma (level diploma). for medicine, maths, chemistry, physics and biology should be 4 of the 5 a levels youre doing. medicine is a long course, and you need great grades, not good grades to get on a medicine course.

a levels aren't hard but the amount of work required for a levels is immense. so, you should space them out over 2 years. id take further maths too, if youre doing 5 - or additional chemistry, if its available.

Respectfully I have the available time to concentrate them into one year so that is by all objectives a better option, If for nothing other than content retention, I would Imagine two years after studying a module a fair wack of revision is required, not as much an issue in one year.

Struggling to find Further Maths offered so will likely be the standard four/Three/
(edited 5 years ago)
What GCSE grades did you come out with?
Original post by Nobody101
What GCSE grades did you come out with?

4 A's 4 B's

Didn't really apply myself if I'm honest.

Would also expect as a Mature Applicant GCSE's likely won't carry the weight they would with a school leaver, I would imagine relevant work experience will largely overshadow 6 year old grades.

For example I know Southampton offers the following on there BMBS 5 Year:

Non-graduate applicants over the age of 21 are expected to offer the following:
GCSEs: A minimum grade C in mathematics, English Language and either biology and chemistry, or additional science and science.
A levels: AAA, including chemistry and biology.

Plus of course passing the UKCAT
(edited 5 years ago)
4 A's 4 B's

Didn't really apply myself if I'm honest.

Would also expect as a Mature Applicant GCSE's likely won't carry the weight they would with a school leaver, I would imagine relevant work experience will largely overshadow 6 year old grades

it's okay, with your work experience and good A level grades I think you have a chance. I'm also a mature student, nearly 20. I'm not academic however I've started to revise more etc. I'm self teaching A level biology and psychology independently
Original post by Nobody101
it's okay, with your work experience and good A level grades I think you have a chance. I'm also a mature student, nearly 20. I'm not academic however I've started to revise more etc. I'm self teaching A level biology and psychology independently

I did edit my Reply above with some information I've found from what I see as an Excellent MedSchool

How're you finding teaching yourself outside of a Program from one of the online entity's? Easier?
It's more an interest in the Subject and a desire to fill up the time more than a need to do them, Respect the advice and would most likely only do 4 in reality, however will certainly consider dropping too the three.

Respectfully I have the available time to concentrate them into one year so that is by all objectives a better option, If for nothing other than content retention, I would Imagine two years after studying a module a fair wack of revision is required, not as much an issue in one year.

Struggling to find Further Maths offered so will likely be the standard four/Three/

Ok, for the 3, I would recommend: additional chemistry, biology and maths. Chemistry would be fine and you should be aiming for 3 A*s.

Honestly, unless you are pursuing Mathematics, Physics or Engineering, most courses (inc. Medicine) will not even look at F.Maths anyway.

Pursue your interests in your spare time. And if you have any spare study time, focus it into getting A*A*A*.

If you want to get into medicine, you need to work smart and also efficiently. Three A levels taken in one year is a big ask for most people; five in one year is unnecessary and an inefficient use of your time (it's also a bit mad). Further maths is something of an unnecessary burden since many medical schools do not count it as a separate subject to maths.

Your GCSEs are good, but they're at the lower end of what one would see amongst non-graduate applicants. I don't say this to discourage you, but merely to advise that it sounds like it's been some time since you last did traditional academic qualifications, so trying to return to learning with five full-on A levels taken at an accelerated pace sounds like a recipe for burnout.

Getting an offer is not about being exceptional or record breaking; you just have to do what's required, well. The standards are already set high enough, you don't need to prove yourself to anyone.

My advice echos what some of the users above have said: take three A levels in biology, chemistry, and another subject. I would also check the requirements for medical schools other than Southampton, if you haven't already done so. More info here:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/doctors/applying-medical-school

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

As I'm sure you're aware, medicine is a five year degree, so you will have to retain and revise information for much longer than a year at a time...
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Democracy
Pursue your interests in your spare time. And if you have any spare study time, focus it into getting A*A*A*.

If you want to get into medicine, you need to work smart and also efficiently. Three A levels taken in one year is a big ask for most people; five in one year is unnecessary and an inefficient use of your time (it's also a bit mad). Further maths is something of an unnecessary burden since many medical schools do not count it as a separate subject to maths.

Your GCSEs are good, but they're at the lower end of what one would see amongst non-graduate applicants. I don't say this to discourage you, but merely to advise that it sounds like it's been some time since you last did traditional academic qualifications, so trying to return to learning with five full-on A levels taken at an accelerated pace sounds like a recipe for burnout.

Getting an offer is not about being exceptional or record breaking; you just have to do what's required, well. The standards are already set high enough, you don't need to prove yourself to anyone.

My advice echos what some of the users above have said: take three A levels in biology, chemistry, and another subject. I would also check the requirements for medical schools other than Southampton, if you haven't already done so. More info here:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/doctors/applying-medical-school

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

As I'm sure you're aware, medicine is a five year degree, so you will have to retain and revise information for much longer than a year at a time...

Hey thanks for the advice and the links, you have some good points and i'll certainly be taking them on board. I will also be dropping to three since it seems to be the common advice, While I don't doubt I could do 4, may aswell give myself the best chance.

Question is, Maths, Physics or Psychology

Question is
Hey thanks for the advice and the links, you have some good points and i'll certainly be taking them on board. I will also be dropping to three since it seems to be the common advice, While I don't doubt I could do 4, may aswell give myself the best chance.

Question is, Maths, Physics or Psychology

Question is

I've personally found I've used my Psychology A-Level more in my degree than Maths (or Chem) - but echo-ing the wise advice above, whichever you can get an A in

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending