The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Biology Paper 2 - 11th June 2018 Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

I said the iPS cells r better as no virus so a lower chance of an immune response being initiated
Original post by Jp Ahmad
For the respirometer maths question did u divide by 24 cos the unit was in hrs?

What did you get?
Original post by Cbeeston
My answer for hardy weinberg was 43%

yess i got 43%
Original post by Krishna235
I said this ! Is it right ?!

I reckon it is. Completely makes sense in my mind anyway.
Original post by brendonurine
It said something about a change to a tumour suppressor gene, I remember it’s being worded like it could include epigenetics. I wrote about mutation and increased methylation. Do you think I should have talked about 2 tumour suppressor genes as recessive?

I wrote about increased methylation too
Original post by b.r.2018
These are my calc answers from my calculator memory in order of question number:

1.93×10^25
4.91×10^-6

What did you get 4.91×10^-6 for?
It said something about a change to a tumour suppressor gene, I remember it’s being worded like it could include epigenetics. I wrote about mutation and increased methylation. Do you think I should have talked about 2 tumour suppressor genes as recessive?

I put about hypermethylation stopping the transcription etc but then people have been saying that they just put about mutations in genes. I can’t remember if the question specifically said ‘gene mutation’ or just changes so that it could include epigenetics
Did anyone else find that the question regarding dihybrid inheritance didn’t make sense, it said that the genes were on the same chromosome( surely meaning autosomal linkage) but then I couldn’t see how 4 different phenotypes were produced when they’re autosomal linked :frown:
for the iPS question it was state whys its ADVANTAGEOUS to use ips over gene therapy so i wrote things like less chance of getting rejected from the body, uses own cells so doesnt harm another organism and raise ethical issues **** like that
What did people put for the mutation not occurring in lactase gene? I wrote that it occurred in a regulatory gene, causing the lactase gene to be turned on
Reply 70
Original post by Jimmybee123
Did anyone else find that the question regarding dihybrid inheritance didn’t make sense, it said that the genes were on the same chromosome( surely meaning autosomal linkage) but then I couldn’t see how 4 different phenotypes were produced when they’re autosomal linked :frown:

Crossing over?
What did people put for the mutation not occurring in lactase gene? I wrote that it occurred in a regulatory gene, causing the lactase gene to be turned on

Think I chatted bs, but I wrote about it mutating the gene that codes for the transcription factor for the gene so the gene is not transcribed ;/ (ik thats probs 0 marks)
Reply 72
Original post by -ash2000
for the iPS question it was state whys its ADVANTAGEOUS to use ips over gene therapy so i wrote things like less chance of getting rejected from the body, uses own cells so doesnt harm another organism and raise ethical issues **** like that

I started with that, but it said to 'use the text'. ...all you could get from it was that the monkeys only had coloured vision for 2 years, so it wasn't a permanent solution.

They were partially linked due to crossing over (chiasma formation)which is able to separate the genes in some cases, therefore there are 4 different phenotypes.
Reply 74
The mutation not occurring in lactose gene one was just talk about how a different protein is made due to sequence of dna during transcription, that’s nothing to do with mutation of gene so might be right
Original post by -ash2000

I said exactly those as well as iPS doesn’t have side effects that gene therapy has.
Did anyone else find that the question regarding dihybrid inheritnce didn’t make sense, it said that the genes were on the same chromosome( surely meaning autosomal linkage) but then I couldn’t see how 4 different phenotypes were produced when they’re autosomal linked :frown:

It’s because of crossing over- so in a couple crossing over would swap the exact alleles
Original post by Hvostik
Crossing over?

I know but if they’re autosomal linked only two gametes are produced; AB ab? If you do a genetic cross possible genotypes were AABB AaBb and aabb, which didn’t match with the phenotypes?
Dunno maybe I’m just being stupid 😭
I THouvht the cell division was every 8 hours so would be to the power or 21 not 84 or whatever?
Original post by notarealname2000
Think I chatted bs, but I wrote about it mutating the gene that codes for the transcription factor for the gene so the gene is not transcribed ;/ (ik thats probs 0 marks)

I put some garbage abou an addition mutation to another gene causing a frame shift which conincisentky meant it was now the gene that codes for lactase production

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending