The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Biology Paper 2 - 11th June 2018 Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ymk99
For the 1st question, I talked about high temperatures causing the stomata to close therefore preventing carbon dioxide from entering and combining with RuBP to make 2xGP. Since they highlighted light-dependent reaction.

First question was referring to how the light dependent reaction affected the light independent reaction, therefore you would have to mention how the products of the light dependent reaction (less ATP, less NADPH) were lower in abundance >>>> therefore resulting in what you’ve just said due to lack of protons and electrons.
Original post by Cbeeston
Don’t agree with the division one. My answer was 1+2^83. There were 84 total divisions but You have to consider there is only 1 cell to begin with. Think my final answer was something like 9.67 x10^24 or something like that

That first cell divides to produce two cells, it doesn’t make two other cells
Original post by Jimmybee123
I know but if they’re autosomal linked only two gametes are produced; AB ab? If you do a genetic cross possible genotypes were AABB AaBb and aabb, which didn’t match with the phenotypes?
Dunno maybe I’m just being stupid 😭

Yea, if they were fully linked there would only be two gametes, but they were partially linked because there were four phenotypes, therefore crossing over can result in all the normal gametes, just less often in the middle two.
Grade boundary predictions?
Original post by Hollytrippe
I put some garbage abou an addition mutation to another gene causing a frame shift which conincisentky meant it was now the gene that codes for lactase production

don't think we're wrong technically tbf but knowing AQA mark schemes, they're probs looking for 1 specific answer out of many.
Reply 85
My answer for hardy weinberg was 43%

I got same answer but i did it to 1dp do u think that'll be acceptable?
Original post by Maha1999
did anyone get 18% for the hardy weinburg q??

I got 40 something % I think?
Original post by laurenbone1
What ratio did people get for the dihybrid cross

9:3:3:1 but I had no clue 😭
Reply 88
Original post by Hollytrippe
I put some garbage abou an addition mutation to another gene causing a frame shift which conincisentky meant it was now the gene that codes for lactase production

I said there was a mutation in a gene which is responsible for regulating the expression of the lactase gene, so the lactase is not methylated when humans start eating other stuff...
Yours sounds more like aqa's cup of tea, though.
Original post by Hvostik
I said there was a mutation in a gene which is responsible for regulating the expression of the lactase gene, so the lactase is not methylated when humans start eating other stuff...
Yours sounds more like aqa's cup of tea, though.

I talked about epigenetics and decreased acetylation of histones😭😂
Original post by notarealname2000
Think I chatted bs, but I wrote about it mutating the gene that codes for the transcription factor for the gene so the gene is not transcribed ;/ (ik thats probs 0 marks)

Hopefully you won’t get 0 marks bro because I wrote the same thing...
Original post by Syedsdad
ur right bro. 9.67x10^24. there was aq like that in bio paper 1. you have to take one off the power

I wrote this but can see logic in both answers.

Do you know which paper 1 also had this?
Did anyone else find that the question regarding dihybrid inheritance didn’t make sense, it said that the genes were on the same chromosome( surely meaning autosomal linkage) but then I couldn’t see how 4 different phenotypes were produced when they’re autosomal linked

I thought that too but the question was so sneaky, it said if it was not linked but it was not in bold or anything. So it was basically a normal Di hibrid cross with 9:3;3;1
For the lactase one I think I said that there is a gene that coded for a protein that could produce a TF for the lactase enzyme, would that be wrong
Reply 94
[QUOTE="Robbieanand;78258986"]
Did anyone else find that the question regarding dihybrid inheritance didn’t make sense, it said that the genes were on the same chromosome( surely meaning autosomal linkage) but then I couldn’t see how 4 different phenotypes were produced when they’re autosomal linked

I thought that too but the question was so sneaky, it said if it was not linked but it was not in bold or anything. So it was basically a normal Di hibrid cross with 9:3;3;1

Wait, what about the next question, where it asked to predict the proportion if it was not linked at all? Was that 9:3:3:1? I ended up doing 1/4 x 1/4 and 1/4 x 3/4 etc. Which basically gives the same ratio, but out of 1.
Original post by Robbieanand
For the lactase one I think I said that there is a gene that coded for a protein that could produce a TF for the lactase enzyme, would that be wrong

I wrote this - couldn’t think of anything else...
Original post by Emily-hay
9:3:3:1 but I had no clue 😭

The genes were not linked so woudlnt it of been 1:1:1:1 ratio?
Reply 97
Original post by Libbycroft123
The genes were not linked so woudlnt it of been 1:1:1:1 ratio?

Dominant probability is three quarters. Recessive is a third.
Since we're looking at two characteristics, probabilities should be multiplied for each combination?
Don’t agree with the division one. My answer was 1+2^83. There were 84 total divisions but You have to consider there is only 1 cell to begin with. Think my final answer was something like 9.67 x10^24 or something like that

But the first division is when 1 cell became 2
[QUOTE="Seventyseven777;78255074"]Yh same I got 43.2%
I did square root of 0.1 to get 0.31622...
Then did 1 - 0.316 to get like 0.683...
Then I did 2 * 0.316 * 0.683 to get 0.432... ×100 to get 43.2%[/QUOTE
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending