The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Seeing that you understand your course, you've got yourself a lil advantage here compared to someone who has utterly no clue about it :smile: so good on you.

Basically, at the end of the day, its up to you whether you put in the work or not. If you're that determined and insists on passing your first year and scoring whatever percentage you want, you'll be able to do it with the motivation and persistance that you have.

On the other hand, if you doss around (no offence)... you will fail.

Just make sure you put the hours in and you'll do absolutely fine!! Good luck and I hope you pass :smile:
OP, i've been the same, not been to most of my lectures this term and a bit of last (out of my control though). I think it is possible that you can still pass as long as you put in the effort. I'm willing to do the same,and if you start revising or cramming now,whichever you choose,you can still make the most of it. Look at it this way,I'm at notts and in my course,we have hardly any graded coursework during the year, it all rides on exams, so if you've been doing well so far, just give yourself the extra nudge so your grades are still ok after exams :smile: good luck.
I think it depends on what you want to get out of it. 40% isn't that high a benchmark, and with some really concentrated revision work, it's entirely attainable - although you need to get organised now, find someone who will photocopy any lecture notes you've missed and work out which key textbooks you need to read.

However, a 40% really is the bare minimum and will not look good when it comes to applying for jobs, so I would humbly suggest that you will need to pull some serious work now to make sure you get above that level.

If you really, really pull your weight and treat this as a learning experience, there's no reason why you won't do well next year. I think you'll have to turn your phone off and renege on the social life 'till June, though.
Reply 43
I'm pretty much the same... Well, not quite, I have been to maybe half of my tutorials and lectures, and it hasn't been due to too much social life but illness and travel difficulties :smile: However, the end result is the same and I am now absolutely terrified of what will happen when my exams start. And I haven't been doing too well in my assessed work either so I really need to nail the exams. I am fairly alright with 2 of my courses, the other 2 I don't feel are up to scratch.

So, what I have done is devise a revision timetable. Mon to Fri 8 hours a day (excluding lunch break but including little breaks) for the next 5 weeks until my exams start. Selective reading, picking 6-7 topics per course, with the mind to any possible overlaps. After checking previous exams its quite easy to see which topics usually come up so they are a good place to start planning your revision. I've calculated how many hours I've got per course to revise and allocated them in my revision calendar. So organised, lol... Anyway. To pass a year not much is needed. You can do that just by doing all of your required readings well and you've got plenty of time to do that. If you want to get 2.1 or 1st you'll have to put more effort into it and read outside the subject and practice your exam techniques (ie writing a mini-essay in an hour or whatever the exam practice is at your uni). My point anyway is that yes it can be done if you set your mind to it and make the effort.

Latest

Trending

Trending