The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-level Economics(A) Paper 3 15th June 2018 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

How did it go today guys?
Original post by Evil Homer
How did it go today guys?

Was quite nice. Easy questions that were linkable to many topics. I did however find myself writing more micro points in section A and more macro in section B which I hope is fine even though it was not that balanced...
Reply 22
Edexcel keep exploiting us I think government intervention is necessary
Reply 23
Anyone who can remember the questions please say them
That exam was pretty good. Deffo a good end to economics. How did it go for you guys ?

Also the market structure in question 1A was oligopoly right ?
Reply 25
Original post by Hibzharun
That exam was pretty good. Deffo a good end to economics. How did it go for you guys ?

yea I put that too, could have been a legal monopoly for Costa but for 5 marks there's more to say about it being an oligopoly
I found that the hardest of the three, i seem to be in the minority
got me pretty worried there
Original post by Hibzharun

I put oligopoly at first but then realised it was a legal monopoly cause costs had a 31% market share and redid it but either should be fine really as long as you argue your point
In sector b the 8 market, how the curves shift in the cost and revenue diagram? I only shifted AC, is that ok?
Original post by Mefan Stolyneux
I found that the hardest of the three, i seem to be in the minority
got me pretty worried there

I felt the same! Much preferred the other two papers
Original post by Failedalevels1
I put oligopoly at first but then realised it was a legal monopoly cause costs had a 31% market share and redid it but either should be fine really as long as you argue your point

Yeah, I put both,

talked about how in the UK's eyes it's a legal monopoly. However, it can also be seen as an oligopoly as there is solid five firm concentration. Wasted so much time just making sure that i was right.
Original post by Coco Shen
In sector b the 8 market, how the curves shift in the cost and revenue diagram? I only shifted AC, is that ok?

I mean yes and no. You should get some marks, but generally marginal cost would also decrease
Original post by simongregor12
I mean yes and no. You should get some marks, but generally marginal cost would also decrease

How many marks do you think I would lose?
Original post by simongregor12

Do you think it matters if you didn’t draw a diagram but just wrote about profitability in detail or would i lose marks?
I actually don’t know how I did😂 but found better than micro and worse than macro
Section B that extract was so freaking long I just left the whole reading part and was just picked up on figures-deficit 2.5% of gdp and all those
Who is gonna miss dal? Hahahahaha
Man helped a-lot however his voice is freaking echoing in my ears and I am so done with that😂

Gonna miss his hairline and that brown chain around his neck😂😂😂😂

Yeah for section A they will allow a variety of interpretations of what the market structure is. No definitive answer really
Original post by Coco Shen
How many marks do you think I would lose?

Like 1 lol, as long as your answer was relatively well written you'll lose very little for not shifting 1 curve
Reply 38
Here are all the questions that were on the paper, from memory.

First section:

5 maker on whether the branded coffee firms are oligopoly

8 marker on indirect tax on coffee

12 marker on pricing/non-pricing things starbucks could do to increase profit.

25 marker micro+macro effects of demand for branded coffee increasing or micro+macro impact of starbucks’s pricing strategies (not sure about this one)

------------
Second section

5 marker on terms of trade of Indonesia

8 marker of cost/revenue diagram of the building of a dam in Indonesia on farmers

12 marker of benefit of giving aid to Indonesia

25 = macro+micro impacts of volatility of coal of Indonesia or macro+micro impacts of the supply-side policies to improve Indonesia

I found the paper fine, although being myself I decided to overcomplicate how I would draw the cost/revenue diagram of the second section and ended up having to write the remaining questions rushed :u:
(edited 5 years ago)
Do you think it matters if you didn’t draw a diagram but just wrote about profitability in detail or would i lose marks?

Yeah mate, it said in the diagram draw it init. if u explain what would occur well though you will definitely score some marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending