Why the **** does everyone love Jordan Peterson so much?

Watch
UMunR
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I feel like he's just a sophist who uses postmodernism as a bogeyman for any problems he has with the left wing even when the two are entirely disconnected. I get that sad weirdos who need to read a book for self-confidence would like him but I don't know why all my friends see him as a messiah.

He adds nothing to the debate, he says nothing new. If you like him, please tell me why he is so important.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Haven't seen much from him, but of the stuff I have seen him say I've never found it particularly convincing/compelling.

I suppose he's just a well spoken person who a lot of people agree with. Since there aren't many people like that in the circles he appeals to they flock to him.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
he doesn't use a lot of facts and he doesn't use big words, hence fans can follow him well without thinking too much.
VerticalSnipe
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lobster memes.Name:  lobster.jpeg
Views: 195
Size:  387.8 KB
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
He's a well-spoken, clear-thinking guy who has the courage of his convictions and is against all the right people.
arizonaidiot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by UMunR)
I feel like he's just a sophist who uses postmodernism as a bogeyman for any problems he has with the left wing even when the two are entirely disconnected. I get that sad weirdos who need to read a book for self-confidence would like him but I don't know why all my friends see him as a messiah.

He adds nothing to the debate, he says nothing new. If you like him, please tell me why he is so important.
Because he can wipe the floor with pretty much anybody.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Joleee)
he doesn't use a lot of facts and he doesn't use big words, hence fans can follow him well without thinking too much.
I didn't know speaking clearly was a capital offence. It is a rather admirable quality, I thought.
Joleee
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
I didn't know speaking clearly was a capital offence. It is a rather admirable quality, I thought.
i don't disagree; that's why he's so popular. i listen to him all the time, not to actually learn anything but for the entertainment.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Joleee)
i don't disagree; that's why he's so popular. i listen to him all the time, not to actually learn anything but for the entertainment.
There seemed to be an inherent criticism in there. At least there should be owing to the words you used, i.e. people following without thinking.

Of course, someone who is a professor has lots of big words and facts; just not always appropriate to use them. In serious academic writing, you see authors eschewing complicated writing styles and often to make a point, at least a normative point, a priori argument alone is required. There is no need to refer to statistics or facts.
UMunR
Rep:
?
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
He's a well-spoken, clear-thinking guy who has the courage of his convictions and is against all the right people.
That doesn't seem like a tough standard to meet so why is Jordan Peterson seen as so holy and divine?

"against all the right people" ??? Seems like you view politics through a lens of enemies to be beaten. Seems a little ****ed tbh
UMunR
Rep:
?
There seemed to be an inherent criticism in there. At least there should be owing to the words you used, i.e. people following without thinking.

Of course, someone who is a professor has lots of big words and facts; just not always appropriate to use them. In serious academic writing, you see authors eschewing complicated writing styles and often to make a point, at least a normative point, a priori argument alone is required. There is no need to refer to statistics or facts.
The complaint with Jordan Peterson is that he adds nothing to the debate but clear speaking. He says nothing new or insightful and uses postmodernism as a boogeyman for everything. The way he uses postmodernism to refer to identity politics in particular is representative of his idiocy or dishonesty.
Joleee
Report 2 years ago

i have no doubt that JP is brilliant. he has to be in order to be a professor, and a professor at U of T no less. and no, he can't water down his chats with facts and big words; he must speak at a level and pace that ordinary people can understand him so it keeps their interest.

i guess my criticism of JP fans is that they take him too seriously. but i'm also hugely sceptical of everything i read or listen to; i want to know the stats and figures. JP says they exist but rarely gives them to you, that's why i personally don't 'learn' anything from him necessarily, even though i've listened to three dozen podcasts (and i'm sure he's not complaining).
Brocolli123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You hit nail on the head. White men are feeling disenfranchised because they used to have all the power and now they have slightly less they feel like the victims and Jordan with his pseudo-intellectual psychology from books he pretends to have read makes them feel alot smarter than they are but he only ever hints things and never implicitly says point so he always has plausible deniability if people interpret his statement. He just got in on the anti-SJW train and got lucky with people watching him, He has no idea when it comes to politics but comes across as smart if you don't know what he is saying
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by UMunR)
That doesn't seem like a tough standard to meet so why is Jordan Peterson seen as so holy and divine?

"against all the right people" ??? Seems like you view politics through a lens of enemies to be beaten. Seems a little ****ed tbh
You'd think not, but it is, apparently. There are so few public figures who meet that standard.

The people who want to restrict speech and enforce equality of outcome between all of the groups they can define, at the cost of individual choice and liberty, are enemies who need to be beaten, yes.
Joleee
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by UMunR)
The complaint with Jordan Peterson is that he adds nothing to the debate but clear speaking. He says nothing new or insightful and uses postmodernism as a boogeyman for everything. The way he uses postmodernism to refer to identity politics in particular is representative of his idiocy or dishonesty.
agreed! lol
UMunR
Rep:
?
(Original post by Brocolli123)
You hit nail on the head. White men are feeling disenfranchised because they used to have all the power and now they have slightly less they feel like the victims and Jordan with his pseudo-intellectual psychology from books he pretends to have read makes them feel alot smarter than they are but he only ever hints things and never implicitly says point so he always has plausible deniability if people interpret his statement. He just got in on the anti-SJW train and got lucky with people watching him, He has no idea when it comes to politics but comes across as smart if you don't know what he is saying

Well put

referring to white men as an amorphous group is a bit weird to read for me ya know. Its not like we all meet in secret to discuss maintaining our privilege.
username3947342
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
People see him as a figure who will help them fight the people who oppose them. They are already weak about their own views so they worship him for taking the weight off their shoulders. They are just too dumb and insecure to see his fraudulence...
UMunR
Rep:
?
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
You'd think not, but it is, apparently. There are so few public figures who meet that standard.

The people who want to restrict speech and enforce equality of outcome between all of the groups they can define, at the cost of individual choice and liberty, are enemies who need to be beaten, yes.
ummm what? I think most people in the public sphere are at very least, somewhat well spoken.

Discussing things in those terms may not be a good idea. Usually "enemies" are people to be shot or punched so it kinda looks bad from my end.
Brocolli123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by UMunR)
Well put

referring to white men as an amorphous group is a bit weird to read for me ya know. Its not like we all meet in secret to discuss maintaining our privilege.
That's not what privilege means. It's not saying all white men are out to get everybody else and have secret plans to do it. It's just saying that often we have implicit biases that we tried to hide and contribute/benefit from systems put in place long ago that help oppress other groups
UMunR
Rep:
?
(Original post by Afforestation)
People see him as a figure who will help them fight the people who oppose them. They are already weak about their own views so they worship him for taking the weight off their shoulders. They are just too dumb and insecure to see his fraudulence...
You talk like a Krogan.

Daym
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (386)
56.52%
I don't have everything I need (297)
43.48%

Watched Threads